• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Details on Viz Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dejiko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote
*Scratches JoJo from to buy list*
Yup, way to go Viz! Sad
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Are you some kind of robot designed to attack anyone who questions the business decisions of American anime corporations?

Basically, yes.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Starwind: I'm not even sure the company which has the anime rights-probably Viz, since 4Kids can't sell toys off of it-would want to release it subbed and uncut. It could end up getting a dubbed-and-edited only release like Rave Master.

Dejiko: I got no problems with how they're releasing Jojo. If they published the first arc, then they couldn't promote the series off the anime, and STA might be more reluctant to release the upcoming OVA/movie here-not to mention Robot Carnival-if they didn't get the sales they need to justify putting it on R1 dvd.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Here's my question:

Why even bother releasing Bobobo in America? This thing is as much a product of its country as something like Mr. Show or Upright Citizens Brigade or Daily Show is here.

Not that it's as funny as any of those, but you get my point.

If you have to go to these extremes - these measures that require you to skip giant portions of the manga... why bother? There's no big push for Hunter X Hunter yet, another giant Viz property, nor is there a big push for Hikaru no Go, both of which are more accessable, internationally, than Bobobo.

From a plain-sense marketing standpoint, Bobobo makes no sense.

I've had this same question since it was licensed. I did find it odd that it was announced to air on Cartoon Network the same day as Naruto.

Would it be possible that Shueisha pushed Bo-bobo onto Viz and Caroon Network in order to get Naruto? That's the most logical answer I can find.
wariomona

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:43 am Reply with quote
I just read some of the (non viz-release) Bobobo manga today, and I can easily say it is by far the funniest manga I've read. But this news has made me dissapointed Crying or Very sad . Come on Viz, release them all!
domino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:18 am Reply with quote
I heard in an interview that they decided to license Bobobo and air it on Cartoon Network as an experiment/risk taking action. I hope it'll be a hit. :P There's a trailer for the dub on the toonami website (the full episode airs tomorrow night).

Risk-taking can pay off. I hear everyone rejected Power Rangers when they first wanted to ship it over from Japan except for one risk-taking person, and that person is now probably very very rich.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Starwind: I'm not even sure the company which has the anime rights-probably Viz, since 4Kids can't sell toys off of it-would want to release it subbed and uncut. It could end up getting a dubbed-and-edited only release like Rave Master.

Actually, I don't think Viz has the anime. I think it's some company called Joy Tishijan Marketing Group or something. Viz just has the manga. I may be wrong, though.

And I hope this doesn't get a dub-only DVD release. Even though I prefer dubs, I'd love to hear this in Japanese (even though I saw some fansubs last year in my anime club).
bobobobobobobo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:40 am Reply with quote
in the newest issue of SJ, they are calling it "BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo: The Manga Edition." WTF? I think this is stupid. even if they release 1-8, vol. 9 still won't have a number, unless they numberless ones are 1st edition or something. i LOVE BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo as you can tell, and i'm really disappointed. i was looking forward to it since september, when they printed part of the one-shot story. but i hope CN releases DVDs. i probably wont get the manga if all we get is vol. 9. This is like the I"S nipple thing or the Jojo's Bizarre adventure thing. Besides, Viz's logo has changed yet again, so i think they have new managers or something.
emory

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Actually, I don't think Viz has the anime. I think it's some company called Joy Tishijan Marketing Group or something. Viz just has the manga. I may be wrong, though.

Toei has the anime. "JTMG" is their representative in North America.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
bobobobobobobo wrote:
in the newest issue of SJ, they are calling it "BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo: The Manga Edition." WTF? I think this is stupid. even if they release 1-8, vol. 9 still won't have a number, unless they numberless ones are 1st edition or something. i LOVE BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo as you can tell, and i'm really disappointed. i was looking forward to it since september, when they printed part of the one-shot story. but i hope CN releases DVDs. i probably wont get the manga if all we get is vol. 9. This is like the I"S nipple thing or the Jojo's Bizarre adventure thing. Besides, Viz's logo has changed yet again, so i think they have new managers or something.

Cartoon Network does not release DVDs. They only broadcast anime. The DVDs are released by the licensing companies. Calling the manga BoBoBo-Bo Bo-BoBo: The Manga Edition is not stupid. There's nothing wrong with it. And we're not getting just Vol. 9. That's just where they're starting. As for that nipple thing in I's, there's been no mention of censorship, so you're wrong on that. And just because Viz's logo changed doesn't mean they have new managers, maybe they just wanted a new look. Plus, it's called Viz Media now and not just Viz, so that's probably why it changed.

Also, if you want subtitle-only DVDs, you can import them. Or just wait for the American release and save money.

emory wrote:
Toei has the anime. "JTMG" is their representative in North America.

Wouldn't that mean that JTMG has licensed it? I think Toei stopped releasing series in America by themselves since they gave us horrible releases. Low episode counts, DVDs that return to the menu after every episode, captioned dubtitles that are barely readable, bad dub actors, etc. I doubt I'd buy the Bobobo DVDs, but still, it'd probably get a better release from the JTMG guys, as long as they know how the anime market here works.
emory

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Wouldn't that mean that JTMG has licensed it? I think Toei stopped releasing series in America by themselves since they gave us horrible releases. Low episode counts, DVDs return to the menu after every episode, dubtitles, unknown dub actors, etc. I doubt I'd buy the Bobobo DVDs, but still, it'd probably get a better release from the JTMG guys, as long as they know how the anime market here works.

No, it means they help Toei market the property. When a foreign company sells something in the US, it is usually required they partner with a US agency. Toei did this with Cloverway when they were distributing Sailor Moon S and SS. Now, what company is actually distributing the series to DVD, I don't know. It might be Geneon again.
emory

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I don't have an opinion one way or the other about Bobobo, having only seen a few episodes and read one or two manga volumes, but it seems so steeped in Japanese pop culture that it's difficult to say that this particular property was a good choice, marketing-wise.

Then it looks like some localization will come along. This is Phuuz after all; the company that adapted Lupin for Geneon. There were many mixed reactions about references to Shaq, The Simpsons, and eBay.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Starwind:
Quote:
And we're not getting just Vol. 9. That's just where they're starting.

And Viz will continue based on sales for vol.9. The market isn't the same as it was 3 years ago, and there has to be demand and awareness for certain manga and anime titles to justify releasing them here. It helps to filter out some of the crappier series, but some of the more low-key names are less likely to get picked up as a result.

Quote:
As for that nipple thing in I's, there's been no mention of censorship, so you're wrong on that.

They have photo comparisons.

Quote:
And just because Viz's logo changed doesn't mean they have new managers, maybe they just wanted a new look.

It definitely explains why the old guard like Carl left the company. :)

Quote:
Low episode counts, DVDs that return to the menu after every episode, captioned dubtitles that are barely readable, bad dub actors, etc.

Actually, the episode counts are the only reason to buy their dvds. Viz is the worst for episode counts, with Geneon a close second.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
I think they're being cautious on the fact that BoBoBo is something that most americans wouldn't 'get'.

I stopped saying "That will never get liscensed" when freakign BOBOBO got liscensed. The manga...I think that they're just being overly cautious

I honestly think Lyrai has hit the nail on the head here. Viz is being cautious. They've decided that they can't be certain that the Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo manga will sell, so they're only comitting to 1 volume.

Rather than releasing the first volume, which ends on a cliffhanger, they've decided to release the "in between" volume.

If it sells, I'm sure we'll see more releases. If it doesn't sell, well, you can't blame Viz for not wasting money printing a product that won't sell.

Their editing standards are one thing, but this decision makes a lot of sense.

-t
Gorogoro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Erm, I hate to repeat myself, but the first volume does not end on a cliffhanger, and both the beginning and end of volume 9 are mid-battle. I still fail to see logic. There are no in-between volumes (except perhaps 1 and 2 which are both still at the plot and character development stage. Or at least, as much plot and character development as there is in Bo-bobo.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3