Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-09-30]


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DemonEyesLeo



Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 844
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, first of all, "Nihon" is actually the word for "Japanese language". "Nippon" is the Japanese word for "Japan"


I'm sorry to be nitpicky here, but I'm studying Japanese right now and this just caught my attention. "Nihon" and "Nippon" are actually two ways to say "Japan" in Japanese. The Japanese word for "Japanese language" is "Nihon-go," the "go" is the Kanji meaning "language." So English is "ei-go," Spanish is "supain-go," Chinese is "chuugoku-go," etc... (sorry to have to romanize the characters but I can't write them on the computer)

Again I'm sorry to be nitpicky, but this kinda caught my attention from studying Japanese everyday.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7428
Location: Snake Mountain Cocktail Lounge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:


I'm sorry to be nitpicky here, but I'm studying Japanese right now and this just caught my attention. "Nihon" and "Nippon" are actually two ways to say "Japan" in Japanese. The Japanese word for "Japanese language" is "Nihon-go," the "go" is the Kanji meaning "language." So English is "ei-go," Spanish is "supain-go," Chinese is "chuugoku-go," etc... (sorry to have to romanize the characters but I can't write them on the computer)

Again I'm sorry to be nitpicky, but this kinda caught my attention from studying Japanese everyday.


I took three years of Japanese and my Japanese instructor taught me that while there were two ways to say it, "Nihon" was far more common when referring to oneself, IE "nihon-jin". "Nippon" was more commonly used to refer to the country itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Ryusui



Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Posts: 405

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote
I was wondering where "Japan" came from. Thanks.

As for your Flake of the Week, the frightening thing is that I can personally confirm that there are indeed people fully capable of composing such dreck. (At least, I think they're people.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
roxybudgy



Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 76
Location: Western Australia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:41 am Reply with quote
As far as I know, from 7 years of studying Japanese), Nihon is the general way of saying Japan, and Nippon is a feminine way of saying Japan. Kinda similar to 'yahari' and 'yappari'.

As for the origin of 'Japan', indeed it is from Chinese. In Mandarin, Japan is 'ri ben' which is sorta pronounced as 'jrih bern' for those who can't read pinyin. But then again, I notice that Japanese is closer to Cantonese than Mandarin, and I have no idea what Japan is in Cantonese, but I'm pretty sure it's much closer to 'Japan'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 5461
Location: 露命

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:56 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DemonEyesLeo wrote:


I'm sorry to be nitpicky here, but I'm studying Japanese right now and this just caught my attention. "Nihon" and "Nippon" are actually two ways to say "Japan" in Japanese. The Japanese word for "Japanese language" is "Nihon-go," the "go" is the Kanji meaning "language." So English is "ei-go," Spanish is "supain-go," Chinese is "chuugoku-go," etc... (sorry to have to romanize the characters but I can't write them on the computer)

Again I'm sorry to be nitpicky, but this kinda caught my attention from studying Japanese everyday.


I took three years of Japanese and my Japanese instructor taught me that while there were two ways to say it, "Nihon" was far more common when referring to oneself, IE "nihon-jin". "Nippon" was more commonly used to refer to the country itself.


You're right about that, Zac, Nihon is the preferred term these days (but for both people and country, not just for the people) - but it's not what you said in the article. There, you said:

Answerman wrote:
Well, first of all, "Nihon" is actually the word for "Japanese language". "Nippon" is the Japanese word for "Japan" and "Japan" is the English word for "Nippon".


This just isn't true. As DemonEyesLeo correctly says, Nihon and Nippon, both written 日本, mean "Japan", whereas saying "Japanese language" requires an additional -go kanji, thus: 日本語.

roxybudgy wrote:
As far as I know, from 7 years of studying Japanese), Nihon is the general way of saying Japan, and Nippon is a feminine way of saying Japan. Kinda similar to 'yahari' and 'yappari'.

Umm.. no. It sounds like Nippon is a burikko feminisation of Nihon, but it isn't (nor is that the case with yappari, but that's another story). If anything, Nippon is an old-fashioned and slightly conservative way of pronouncing those kanji. And yes, that means it is the preferred usage among ultra-rightists.

roxybudgy wrote:
As for the origin of 'Japan', indeed it is from Chinese. In Mandarin, Japan is 'ri ben' which is sorta pronounced as 'jrih bern' for those who can't read pinyin. But then again, I notice that Japanese is closer to Cantonese than Mandarin, and I have no idea what Japan is in Cantonese, but I'm pretty sure it's much closer to 'Japan'.

Absolutely true. The original European forms of the Chinese name for Japan were variations on "Jipang" and "Zipang" and "Zipango", used interchangeably with the gay abandon that characterised the orthographical anarchy of the day.

Zipang, the recent anime about a time-travelling JMSDF/JNDF AEGIS cruiser, takes its name from this. It seems sort of a non sequitur to me, but never mind.

- abunai
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster



Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Posts: 405

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:57 am Reply with quote
Wow, that flake of the week sounds like the people posting questions about stuff on the Funimation forums every week...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jerseymilk



Joined: 11 Aug 2005
Posts: 157
Location: Wouldn't YOU like to know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
I thought of another anime title that is based on real life events and that is "Barefoot Gen".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zalis116
Moderator


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 5855
Location: Arcana City

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
And for an additional bit of trivia...internally, for classes and such, they don't call it nihongo, but rather, 国語 (kokugo), "National Language." At least this is what I've heard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7428
Location: Snake Mountain Cocktail Lounge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:




Thanks for the info, I corrected the column.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
silentjay



Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Posts: 234

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Advent Children is not scheduled for release on 11/29. It hasn't even been solicited by Sony yet, let alone had a release date announced. Where the online retailers are getting their info from, I don't know, but Sony says otherwise. I've even asked Bill from the The Digital Bits about it, and he's come up with nothing either. If he can't find the info, then it's just not out there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chiyosuke



Joined: 06 Oct 2003
Posts: 211
Location: Nashville, TN (I was Kurious)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey Zac, I agree with you on Christan Bale. American Psycho was an awesome movie. OTOH, I can't agree with you on comparing Youko (The Twelve Kingdoms) to that loud-ass, gluttonous, never shutting-the-fudge-up, annoying thing that is Miaka.

Nice column, BTW. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Ostsol



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
KURIous wrote:
OTOH, I can't agree with you on comparing Youko (The Twelve Kingdoms) to that loud-ass, gluttonous, never shutting-the-fudge-up, annoying thing that is Miaka.

I was just about to say that. . . Now I don't have to. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7428
Location: Snake Mountain Cocktail Lounge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Advent Children is not scheduled for release on 11/29. It hasn't even been solicited by Sony yet, let alone had a release date announced. Where the online retailers are getting their info from, I don't know, but Sony says otherwise. I've even asked Bill from the The Digital Bits about it, and he's come up with nothing either. If he can't find the info, then it's just not out there.


Well, that's what all the preorder dates are saying for now, so I'm gonna go with that. When it changes on Amazon or Animenation or Gamestop or whatever, I'll change it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
abunai
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Posts: 5461
Location: 露命

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
abunai wrote:




Thanks for the info, I corrected the column.

I absolutely love that icon to bits. Can I keep it and pet it and call it George?

- abunai
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52



Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 7629
Location: England, UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Wow, that flake of the week sounds like the people posting questions about stuff on the Funimation forums every week...
Mobile phone speak.The future of what use to be the English language is lamentable and dire.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group