• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - Spice World

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
hitokiriizo wrote:
kinda funny how alot anime/manga/j-book fans will defend they're hobby til death and say they like them because they are different compared to western lit and comics but refuse to read a book due to 1 rape scene of a fictional character

Kinda funny how some fans can't bring themselves to find fault with their hobby, so much to the point they become blind to all senses and begin to criticize others for doing what they can't. Don't generalize all of us into one category, you just make yourself look foolish, especially went you don't have the sources to back your claim that any of us fall into what you describe.

I'm a bookworm, and books are books to me whether they're written in America, Spain, England, China, etc. I stated before I set this standard of rape for ALL books I read, and even mentioned a few western titles. The whole senseless rape thing isn't just something you see in Japanese lit, it's in world wide lit. Rape can be written in books in a semi-tasteful manner, but when a woman just gives in and tries to enjoy it as suggested by the author of the article it goes into what I'm assuming to be a fantasy of Yasutaka Tsutsui, and apparently a lot of men, not just Japanese. It's something I won't support, and that goes for the bizarre instances it shows up in shoujo/josei manga too.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
hitokiriizo wrote:
kinda funny how alot anime/manga/j-book fans will defend they're hobby til death and say they like them because they are different compared to western lit and comics but refuse to read a book due to 1 rape scene of a fictional character

Ya raep what you sow. Is it rape if ya end up liking it or surprise sex? Ask Scarlett O'Hara or some BL titles.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Unfortunately, getting your hands on a copy of Paprika will probably be more difficult than it should be, since the publisher is Alma Books, based in the UK. [...] You can also try to obtain a copy from your local public library through interlibrary loan.

Paprika at BookFider.com (for sale) and WorldCat (in libraries; 1, 2), respectively.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I find rape scenes written by men usually unnecessary or overly detailed (Terry Goodkind - here's looking at you and your whole sword of truth series).

terry goodkind has got nothing on john norman (both of them just add the sex and rape to compensate for their poor writing). the gor series started out not bad, but as the series progressed, it became entirely unreadable. i'm amazed i got through as many volumes as i did. i blame my ocd.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Hey, by any chance, have you done an article on Gurren Lagann? It may not seem it, but there's actually some philosophical talk about evolution and whatnot. There's a little bit in the beginning, and then picks up alot towards the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2