• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are either of these chobits sets legit (I don't think so)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demonix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:27 am Reply with quote
I wasn't sure where to put this topic but I thought this was the prudent place.

I found the two links below on another forum I'm on as someone is asking which one to get and I'm convinced that both are bootlegs but getting the others on the forum to listen to me is difficult and I'd prefer to have professonal conformation of my suspitions.

Link1
link2
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:46 am Reply with quote
Hover your mouse cursor on the links you provided and read the message on the Status Bar of your web browser (I know some people don't use it, but it's more important than you think):

[This URL is a known Bootlegging website]

See? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
demonix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:51 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Hover your mouse cursor on the links you provided and read the message on the Status Bar of your web browser (I know some people don't use it, but it's more important than you think):

[This URL is a known Bootlegging website]

See? Laughing

I didn't know that that is done automaticaly but it provides me with the information I need
Lum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
demonix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:27 am Reply with quote
Lum wrote:
Tell them to get it from RightStuf. It's legit and cheap. =)

Try telling this lot that

Please also take note of the moron who thinks that his 3 disc eva box set with it's factory seal is 100% legit (even I'm saying that it wasn't)

fyi: I use the same username there
Lum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah.. I don't really see how people can be so clueless though. I bought bootlegs when I was 12 (Stupid mistake, I regret it.. but that was years ago.) But not once did I ever believe that they were official legit releases.. The other day I ran across someone else that was trying to argue that their Inu Yasha sets were legit when they were bootlegs. =( I tried showing them but they were in such denial of it.

I'm hoping though that with the releases of thinpaks, maybe some people would feel less of a need to bootleg. I mean, thinpaks are great. They're usually really cheap and they take up less space than original DVDs.. Anime smile
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Read the anime pirate faq website.

Also there's a thread on this forum that talk about spotting bootleg. Just link it to them and they should get the message. Actually there are tons of people that still don't know they're buying bootleg becauese of the "professional" packaging which is very misleading.

Just like Fansub, these bootleg are recorded off the TV and they would add their own subtitle (sometimes in poor engrish). There are also HK bootleg that ripped from the official R1 with compress video and audio quality. The quality on these are spotty and plus you're supporting more bootleg if you buy them.

Last edited by hagakure|returns on Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Lum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think some people though just seriously don't want to admit it for whatever reason. =(
demonix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:47 am Reply with quote
Lum wrote:
The other day I ran across someone else that was trying to argue that their Inu Yasha sets were legit when they were bootlegs. =( I tried showing them but they were in such denial of it.

Yea it seems that someone decided to try and get the message across but there is still a brick wall in place with the eva moron (as he stated that their opinion was their own)
I think people like them are not true fans as they don't seem to care where thier money goes (unless anyone else from here wants to try knocking some sense into that person)
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
Just like Fansub, these bootleg are recorded off the TV and they would add their own subtitle (sometimes in poor engrish).

Poor engrish is the perfect example of how bootleg subtitles are, I have an unfortune history with that. I love the anime Monster my brother being a very cool guy bought me some monster DVD for my birthday. I knew at the time they were fake since this show wasn't even licensed. Anyhow I threw them in the good dvd player and dear lord they(evil HK subbers) called the main antagist (spelling) John instead of Johan. Even with the character saying Johan the fact that when I look down and saw John wanted to make me gouge my eyes out. Anyways bootlegs suck try to avoid them.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Poor engrish is the perfect example of how bootleg subtitles are, I have an unfortune history with that

I watched a Hellsing bootleg once in which Seras said, according to the subtitles, "I am a cat! I have no idea!" Confused

I hate this new wave of bootlegs that rip off the R1 releases... it makes it even more confusing for the less informed to spot them and makes people such as in the thread that demonix provided think that they're actually not doing anything wrong because there's an English dub. While my fiance and I were at Wizard World, he incredulously picked up a bootleg for GITS: SAC and said, "Wow, they're getting really good at this." Sadly, I have to agree with him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
demonix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:32 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I hate this new wave of bootlegs that rip off the R1 releases...

Well I don't know how they do it as I ran my legit copies of both eva and chobits through roxio capture and on both I can't read the video data only the data files which means both are encrypted (as is every geneon/pioneer dvd I've run through that software) so it means they get their footage from another source or they have software that breaks the encryption on the discs.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:01 am Reply with quote
demonix wrote:

or they have software that breaks the encryption on the discs.

Yup. The encryption used on DVDs these days is pathetic. There are hundreds, of not thousands of free programs that will crack DVD encryption in seconds.
demonix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:29 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
demonix wrote:

or they have software that breaks the encryption on the discs.

Yup. The encryption used on DVDs these days is pathetic. There are hundreds, of not thousands of free programs that will crack DVD encryption in seconds.

Pathetic isn't cutting it as most discs not have any at all.

But I just remembered that the person that started that firs thread I linked to also but up another asking where people get their anime (on-line was asked for as well) and I just wonder how many of the links are for bootleg websites (plus that idiot who thinks the 3 disc box sets he buys are legit)

Link
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1