• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Riyoko Ikeda Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
In order to maintain the integrity of Mishima's works, his family have allowed very few anime or manga adaptations to be created.

I've always wondered why that is so. With Mishima one of Japan's most famous authors (...and conveniently dead), you'd think there would be manga and anime versions of most, if not all, of his books. As the case stands, the only one that readily comes to mind is the Animated Classics of Japanese Literature adaptation of The Sound of Waves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tholias

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've always wondered why that is so. With Mishima one of Japan's most famous authors (...and conveniently dead), you'd think there would be manga and anime versions of most, if not all, of his books. As the case stands, the only one that readily comes to mind is the Animated Classics of Japanese Literature adaptation of The Sound of Waves.

This is mostly because of Mishima's attitudes toward post-war popular culture. If you read most of Mishima's later non-fiction pieces (and in his later fictional pieces such as The Decay of the Angel) you will he his adoration of pre-war "Masculine culture" as opposed to his belief in a post-war "feminization" of Japan, which is the opinion of many hard-line conservatives. I would imagine he saw manga/anime (especially the mainstream Tezuka influenced works pre-1970) as an extension of this phoenomenon.

It only makes that his family, whatever their opinion may be, kept that attitude present in regards to licensing adaptation of his works.

Spring Snow, even though it is part of the tetralolgy The Sea of Fertility is rather reminiscent of his earlier works (Confessions of A Mask, Forbidden Colors, etc.), being more picaresque and capturing a beaultiful platonic, homo-social relationship as well as the main character's unrequited love which causes his youthful death, a major motif of Mishima's works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1