• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Downloaded Sora no Otoshimono Copy Shown at Funimation Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kantori

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'm with Kakugo on the lulz

What I wanna know is which subs flow best between CR and FUNi.
If anybody from FUNi is reading this I'd appreciate the link you got your HS rip from. Laughing
SteelyMag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
"Do as I say, not as I do"

That's what I get out of it.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:

But it still makes FUNi look foolish, what with all the suing they were getting ready to do for very similar subrips, and all the pleading they've done with consumers to only watch official streams.

Only if the news somehow changes the reality about the ad revenue lost from those rips, which it obviously doesn't. Not to mention that pesky little detail about the rights that FUNimation has (and paid for). There's no sensible analogy between them and a random downloader.
mrsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
Excuse me, but I am a little confused.

The thread about this from about a week ago got closed, because, according to several moderators AND the CEO of ANN, the thread served no other purpose than stirring up trouble.

Now they make that exact same thing a headline on the main page, with a link to the "troublemaker thread" AND a link to a site that offers fansubs, even though it's not allowed to post links to those sites on this site.

You know, that seems a bit inconsistent.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:56 am Reply with quote
I've noticed that people are trying label hypocrisy on Funimation, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with Funimation using downloaded fansub video for their dubbing session. Why? Unlike fansub groups, Funimation already acquired legal rights from Japanese. Plus, they have schedules and deadlines to meet and that fansub is just a stop gap measure until the better quality video arrives. I know it's embarrassing getting caught on their own net show, but the fansub has been out for a while anyway.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:03 am Reply with quote
mrsu wrote:
The thread about this from about a week ago got closed, because, according to several moderators AND the CEO of ANN, the thread served no other purpose than stirring up trouble.

The other thread is still alive and well. I think is was locked briefly before being unlocked. That had more to do with rude behaviour though from what I recall. Also, unless I'm mistaken, Tempest has quite vehemently stated that he believes the issue does merit discussion. (Hence the reason he cleaned it up and unlocked it instead of just letting it die). He's also been tremendously active in the discussion talking place.
maylo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I've noticed that people are trying label hypocrisy on Funimation, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with Funimation using downloaded fansub video for their dubbing session. Why? Unlike fansub groups, Funimation already acquired legal rights from Japanese. Plus, they have schedules and deadlines to meet and that fansub is just a stop gap measure until the better quality video arrives. I know it's embarrassing getting caught on their own net show, but the fansub has been out for a while anyway.

This is serious though, they downloaded and used a font (the mkv has the font in it so it HAS to be downloaded to download the release) that they most likely do not have a licence for (never seen them use it in any of their stuff, and doubt they bought one if they only use fansubs rarely). What they did is just as illegal as downloading an anime which they sued for. They simply broke the law if they don't have a license for that font, which i highly doubt they do. To suggest that this isn't it as serious as downloading anime is false, both are equally illegal. The excuse that they may have not known it was a commercial font is canceled out because they used illegal means to get the font (downloading the horriblesubs release) irregardless if they own the contract for the anime. They knew it was a illegal file and even if they own the anime rights, they took the chance and downloaded it. They simply cannot feign ignorance of the font being what it is and where it came from; it would not hold up in court.
mrsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:20 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

The other thread is still alive and well. I think is was locked briefly before being unlocked. That had more to do with rude behaviour though from what I recall.

ah, look at that, sorry about that false statement, then.

Just seemed like an absolute decision to me.
But the link to a fansub group still is kinda weird, though...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:50 am Reply with quote
maylo wrote:

This is serious though

No, it isn't.

Nothing will come of this. Nobody cares about the stupid font thing.

Funimation owns the show in this region. A handful of zealots will pretend to be mad about this for weird internet political reasons, and continue to bring it up for another few months. There will be a few blog posts that use this as a basis for criticizing IP law. Some people who already weren't buying anything at all will point to it as a reason why they aren't buying anything. Fansub community drama queens will grandstand about it until nobody gives them any attention anymore, then they'll move on to the next "controversy", and the cycle will repeat the next time some meaningless thing like this comes down the pike.

Sorry, should've spoilered that I guess.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:00 am Reply with quote
This story has legs for something so silly. What's it been now, a week? Tip for Funi: next time turn off the softsubs each time you play the video (especially when its being recorded) or just remux the .mkv either without the subs or with the subs off by default - it takes less than a minute to do so. Either avoids silly stories like this one.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:03 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Zac. This perfectly describes the attitude of those like myself: I... really... just do not give a fudge about this situation at all. Self-entitled pirates will still pirate no matter what, and those of us who actually want anime to live on will still pay for it. That is all, thank you, and good night.
maylo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:16 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
maylo wrote:

This is serious though

No, it isn't.

Nothing will come of this. Nobody cares about the stupid font thing.

You are basically saying that then no one cares if you download anime, the"stupid font thing" has has much legal and ethical ground as illegally gained anime that has been pirated and shouldn't be belittled by any means, other wise you are belittling anime piracy and calling it some stupid thing. You can't have it both ways, as they are both equal in both the law, and ethics. But by any means please do tell me how copyright infringement is "some stupid thing" and why you do not see this as an issue.
tl;dr Using that font without a license is just as ethically and legally wrong as anime piracy and should not be belittled just because it's a font.

I am only so adamant on the font because of the assumption people are making this out to seem like funimation did nothing wrong since they own the rights to the show, when there are more repercussions and risks than that from downloading a ripsub groups release or any pirated material to do commercial work whether you own the right(s) or not.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote
PThe mystery has finally been revealed! I guess... Funi owns the rights to the series, and all of the hubbub over the font and implied hypocrisy over having a sub in the studio, I have to side with Zac about how this will just feed the anti-R1 sentiment out there, and feed fansubber egos.

Oh, and Funi didn't sue anyone about downloading fansubs, they were suing over the fact that everyone was "distributing" a single One Piece episode as a torrent, and since the case was tossed, Funi isn't suing anyone.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:46 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
PThe mystery has finally been revealed! I guess... Funi owns the rights to the series, and all of the hubbub over the font and implied hypocrisy over having a sub in the studio, I have to side with Zac about how this will just feed the anti-R1 sentiment out there, and feed fansubber egos.

Oh, and Funi didn't sue anyone about downloading fansubs, they were suing over the fact that everyone was "distributing" a single One Piece episode as a torrent, and since the case was tossed, Funi isn't suing anyone.

I am also going to side with Zac on this one. I mean could Funi handled this better yes I think they could have. But in the end it doesn't change anything or change my view point of Funi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote
maylo wrote:
tl;dr Using that font without a license is just as ethically and legally wrong as anime piracy and should not be belittled just because it's a font.

Do we actually have someone who knows if this is even considered use? My guess would be this isn't and thus a total non-issue. (IANAL)
Is Funi required to license all the fonts in the video that Japan used? Probably not and is included in the video rights. Is this font used by Funi in publishing anywhere? No.

Am I responsible for or required to have a license if I download a movie from a publisher that includes an unlicensed font? Pretty sure the answer is again, no.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10