• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Downloaded Sora no Otoshimono Copy Shown at Funimation Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
The only thing that I find especially strange about this whole thing is that they were using subtitled videos in dubbing. How is that not annoying for the actors? And I'm not talking about the subs being on the screen since they can be turned off, I'm talking about having to wait until they put the line back up during each retake. It'd be easier to either look down at the physical script or look over to the other monitor.

They aren't reading the subtitles off the video as the script isn't the same (FUNimation's own subtitle script isn't even the same as CR's).

That's a whole 'nother confusion. The sub script isn't going to be the same as the dub one, so there's no point in even having the subs enabled.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
kantori wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

I can't install it on that. It has no problems with AVI files, so I might just spend the time converting the MKV files to AVI.
I'm assuming you've uninstalled all the codecs + players (clean the registry with ccleaner if your ok with this), restart PC and retry to install CCCP? Tried K-lite?

I'm going to reinstall CCCP on laptop after my work shift is over. I have a media player that I use for my fansubs since my laptop can't handle anything over 480P (It looks like garbage if I try and play anything above that).

EDIT: I'm starting to go off topic, so right now I am done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Ryojen wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
My MKV player doesn't always pick up the subs right away.

May I suggest the CCCP codec package with Media Player Classic? That usually solves most fansub playback issues.

I can't install it on that.

The hell are you talking about? Are you using VLC or something? No wonder if you have issues, VLC is a pile of crap. Uninstall that, install CCCP, use MPC-HC that comes with CCCP and voila, you're set for basically perfect playback.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:

Horriblesubs ripping video from Crunchyroll is ILLEGAL.
Funimation suing 1337 people for downloading fansubs, then downloading fansubs themselves is HYPOCRITICAL.

No, I'm pretty sure what's definitely hypocritical is criticizing a company for using video and translation that they own [and making the best of other people ripping them off], when you download a bajillion fansubs yourself or are a fansubber [which I'm assuming Daizo is given all the hints he's given], and haven't paid the creators of the work anything, and distributed/ripped them off online. Getting mad at Funi for doing something perfectly legal and within their rights isn't much to get mad about.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
Ryojen wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
My MKV player doesn't always pick up the subs right away.

May I suggest the CCCP codec package with Media Player Classic? That usually solves most fansub playback issues.

I can't install it on that.

The hell are you talking about? Are you using VLC or something? No wonder if you have issues, VLC is a pile of crap. Uninstall that, install CCCP, use MPC-HC that comes with CCCP and voila, you're set for basically perfect playback.

Maybe I did not make myself completely clear in the in the post which is my own fault. I have my laptop which I can watch something things only but only if they are 480P or below. For anything higher I have a HD media player (it is not a laptop) that I have hooked up to my TV in my bedroom that I use for anything HD. I cannot install CCCP on my media player since it is not a laptop.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac is right saying that this will not matter at all in the scheme of things.

While legally right on using the fansub, it does paint a not so nice picture of them considering their anti-fansub actions. As someone said before, "Do as I say, not as I do." They legally used a illegal fansub because it was convienent for them to do so. Much like what people who watch fansubs do.

Like how many are just trying to sweep the Font issue under the rug. Sure it was unintentional on Funi's part, and they probably didn't even think about it. Guess the prevailing thought on this, is who cares about Fonts.

Second the Madoka Magica comments.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:
Perhaps I'm ignorant of some of the facts. I thought Crunchyroll had gone legit years ago and now licenses the anime it streams (e.g. Sora no Otoshimono). If its translations are authorized, then they're protected. Thus Funi would either need permission directly from CR, or something in CR's license agreement to allow the production committee to relicense the subtitles to Funi.
Its copyright, not seeright.

Whether or not Funimation has the right to distribute Crunchyroll's subtitles depends on what it says in the respective Crunchyroll and Funimation contracts. Localization material normally goes back to the content owner, after all ~ this is often how the finances of re-releases works out, allowing a profit from a smaller run because of lower localization costs.

If Funimation is not distributing Crunchyroll's script, and since they obviously dubbing off of a script they created for that purpose, its not clear what people see as the issue with CR's script being on the screen in the studio.

IOW:
TarsTarkas wrote:
While legally right on using the fansub, it does paint a not so nice picture of them considering their anti-fansub actions. As someone said before, "Do as I say, not as I do." They legally used a illegal fansub because it was convienent for them to do so. Much like what people who watch fansubs do.
... its certainly no "do as I say, not as I do" of any sort regarding the copyright infringement lawsuit: they were suing over illegal distribution of bootlegs, not over downloading of bootlegs.

Ryojen wrote:
Anyhoo, the film and music industry tried to make the same claim... that piracy was responsible for their lagging sales. Of course, that claim has repeatedly been proven false, but that doesn't stop them from using the same old song and dance. Funimation is playing the same game, using fansubbers as a scapegoat to cover their own asses. But tell me, if the situation is really so dire, how is Crunchyroll doing so well? Possibly because they're offering a superior product (HD streaming) as compared to Funimation's undeniably substandard streaming efforts?

Its much easier to tackle a straw horse than the actual argument. The economists in that piece say piracy is not the only factor explaining declining CD sales ~ but no serious critic of anime bootleg piracy says that piracy is the only cause for declining sales.

Going from "its not the only problem" to "its not a problem at all" is just a logical leap with no support.

And suggesting that anime companies should adopt this model:
Quote:
So what is emerging is an increasingly "ephemeral" global music culture based not upon the purchasing of discrete physical packages of music, but on the discovery and subsequent promotion of musicians through file sharing. The big winner in this model is not the digital music file seller, but the touring band, whose music is easily discoverable on the 'Net. As with so much of the rest of the emerging world economy, the shift is away from buying things and towards purchasing services—in this case tickets to concerts and related activities.
... seems to ignore the fact that anime is not a performance, it is a collaborative published work.

Criticizing Funimation's streaming efforts as "substandard", when they have the largest streaming viewership in North America also seems a bit tenuous. And of course they also have the broadest download to own distribution in North America.

Last edited by agila61 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:
Nobody cares that Funi is using HorribleSubs rips. What we DO care about is their constant whining about how piracy is "killing the industry." We know that's a lie, Funi. Stop making excuses and adapt your business model to a post-piracy environment like Crunchyroll did. The only way to beat the fansubbers is to offer a better product than them.

It's very telling how you say this while completely overlooking the piracy committed against Crunchyroll anyway.

agila61 wrote:

Criticizing Funimation's streaming efforts as "substandard", when they have the largest streaming viewership in North America also seems a bit tenuous. And of course they also have the broadest download to own distribution in North America.

Not to mention the free simulcasting that they do pull off within an hour or a little more time after the Japanese broadcast. The speed is good.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:
Illegal and hypocritical are not the same thing.

Neither are fact and fiction. Examples:

Quote:
Horriblesubs ripping video from Crunchyroll is ILLEGAL.
Fact.

Quote:
Funimation suing 1337 people for downloading fansubs, then downloading fansubs themselves is HYPOCRITICAL.
Fiction. FUNimation did not file the claim. Despite this, the case is against those who uploaded, not downloaded.

Quote:
The fat cats on Wall Street who knowingly drove the economy into the ground weren't doing anything illegal.
Fiction. Several people have been arrested and accounts were removed from trading because of ties to illegal activity.

Quote:
Ironic, considering the staff of ANN themselves watches fansubs for their season preview guides. Is that illegal, hypocritical or both?
Both, as facts. Fiction can never be considered hypocritical as the comparison event can not exist in the real world. Due note: ANN has never disputed these facts nor has it condoned them. The statements of Zac are not the statements of ANN.

asimpson2006 wrote:
Clearly some people can't change their mind even with the facts right in front of them.
Most assuredly a fact.
shaggyglasses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:
Anyhoo, the film and music industry tried to make the same claim... that piracy was responsible for their lagging sales. Of course, that claim has repeatedly been proven false

You should probably read the article a couple more times or at least read it carefully. The group who authored the study never claims that piracy has no effect on the industry. In their latest 2010 study, piracy makes up 20% of the reasons for declining album sales. The other 80% is alternate distribution/business models as well as competition with other media and economic factors.

As for the topic, meh. I understand where the criticism is coming from though. You have Funimation condemning piracy yet participated in it for company use.
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

Largest streaming viewership according to whom? FUNimation? What, have they asked CR for US viewer numbers and compared? You do know that you're probably taking marketing buzzwords at face value?

Also, it's easy to have "the broadest download to own distribution in North America" when you pretty much have the only DTO market available as far as anime goes. That doesn't stop FUNi's DTO options from being total crap, though. And FUNi is most definitely not the largest DTO provider in the US if we count in illegal options, in which case FUNi's DTO sales numbers are probably just a tiny spec of dust in the corner of an abandoned room.

FUNimation's streaming and DTO services are absolutely pathetic both tech- and option-wise. The most obvious point where this shows in is that you can't get HD video from FUNimation online even if you were ready to pay for it.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Largest streaming viewership according to whom? FUNimation? What, have they asked CR for US viewer numbers and compared? You do know that you're probably taking marketing buzzwords at face value?
That came out in the great press release war of early 2009. Crunchyroll compared their unique US visitors to Funimation.com, and Funimation came back with their total views in the same months including syndication ~ clearly their syndicated streams at Hulu and YouTube are a much larger share of their viewership than Funimation.com.

Quote:
Also, it's easy to have "the broadest download to own distribution in North America" when you pretty much have the only DTO market available as far as anime goes. That doesn't stop FUNi's DTO options from being total crap, though.
However, a suggestion that they are unwilling to try new business models ~ the substance of the critique that you referred to ~ gains no support by any complaints about their execution of that model, so this is an obvious red herring.

Quote:
And FUNi is most definitely not the largest DTO provider in the US if we count in illegal options,
... which would be insane to do. Bootlegs do not have the cost structure of legit content, so a viable illegal bootleg business model tells us very little about available viable legit business models.

Quote:
FUNimation's streaming and DTO services are absolutely pathetic both tech- and option-wise. The most obvious point where this shows in is that you can't get HD video from FUNimation online even if you were ready to pay for it.
I suppose that any excuse for whinging about their streaming and DTO will serve if the purpose is to whinge, but if the purpose is to support the argument that they are subject to the same critique being made in the article you linked it, its "absolutely pathetic", critical reasoning-wise.
Daizo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
That came out in the great press release war of early 2009. Crunchyroll compared their unique US visitors to Funimation.com, and Funimation came back with their total views in the same months including syndication ~ clearly their syndicated streams at Hulu and YouTube are a much larger share of their viewership than Funimation.com.

And you think the situation hasn't changed at all after that? I'd like to remind you that early 2009 was basically when CR started their simulcasting business for real. They've undoubtedly grown quite a damn lot after that.

agila61 wrote:
However, a suggestion that they are unwilling to try new business models ~ the substance of the critique that you referred to ~ gains no support by any complaints about their execution of that model, so this is an obvious red herring.

I'd say they are quite unwilling considering that it's 2011 and you can't get HD content from FUNimation online. Everyone else in the field (CR, TAN, ANN) offers HD streams for a fee along with their free streams. FUNimation only has terrible free streams and equally terrible and DRM'd DTO releases.

agila61 wrote:
which would be insane to do. Bootlegs do not have the cost structure of legit content, so a viable illegal bootleg business model tells us very little about available viable legit business models.

The point of bringing it up was that there's obviously a market out there that prefers files that they can download. FUNimation's DTO service, however, is nothing but a bad joke so it has no serious change of ever penetrating this market as-is. It's pretty much as relevant as CR's DTO service that no-one used either because it was total crap and as a result CR shut it down.

All in all, the way FUNimation handles online distribution is most definitely substandard. Sure, they might not be afraid of "trying" new ways of distribution, but should we be okay and give them a free pass to do as badly as they do just because of that? Hell no!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I say ANN is a joke. Posting here gets you trapped between the mods and their sycophants.

Based on all my previous interactions with you, you will only accept statements that are slanted in favor of your personal dogma about fansubs as being "truth", so there's zero point in arguing with you.

I will say though that you completely ignored my point in favor of going on the usual 'ANN sux' rail.

Maybe what I was actually saying would've been more palatable to you and your fans in this thread if I'd said that this non-issue will have as much real-world sincere impact on Funimation and their bottom line as the '1337 pirates' lawsuit thing will have on the fansub community, which is to say, none whatsoever aside from a bunch of message board drama and some blog posts about IP.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
agila61 wrote:
which would be insane to do. Bootlegs do not have the cost structure of legit content, so a viable illegal bootleg business model tells us very little about available viable legit business models.
The point of bringing it up was that there's obviously a market out there that prefers files that they can download.
No, the fact that there are large numbers of people who prefer to download files for free when available does not establish that there is a market.

To be a market, there has to be both one or more buyers and one or more sellers. "I downloaded it for free" does not constitute being a buyer.

The way that broadcast television (and broadcast radio before that) worked out to get around the fact that viewers with free access were not a market was to sell the attention of the viewers to advertisers, so the broadcasters are the sellers, the advertisers are the buyers, and gaining the attention of the viewers is part of the production process to have something to sell to advertisers.

Since there does not appear to be a viable advertising market for ads embedded in free downloads, relevant evidence about DTO would be the numbers willing to pay at different prices above zero. The floor for a viable business model would be set by the minimum royalty rate that the original rights owners are willing to accept per download.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10