• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dr. Ochanomizu Lectures on HIV and Safe Sex

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:38 am Reply with quote
Something tells me that running around in a pair of bikini biefs and fighting bad guys with your butt-mounted machine guns is not the most effective way to avoid the disease.

/What? Not a real person? Really?
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:39 am Reply with quote
Hey, it could be worse. They might use a puppet next time...

Everyone has AIDS!
My Grandma and my dog Ol'Blue (AIDS! AIDS! AIDS!)
The Pope has got it and so do you
Come on everybody, we've got quiltin' to do
We're gonna break down these barricades
Everyone has AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS!
AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS! AIDS!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
putrocca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:11 am Reply with quote
Actually, in series other than Astro Boy, Ochanomizu often appears as a medical doctor, even in Black Jack. He is Tezuka's archetypical trustworthy and educated father figure, and has appeared in a number of different public service announcments (usually posters) as the bearer of important news, so he's someone the Japanese Pubic would be ready to trust - Black Jack is a little dark.

For more info, try TezukaInEnglish.com: http://tezuka.spoonybards.net/?q=node/1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:51 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... Anyone else think this would have been a lot cooler if they had Black Jack do it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:31 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
why the sudden awareness? is there an epidemic?

It's not "sudden" - those videos have been shown for several years now.

I would worry about BlackJack's suggested surgical cures for AIDS though Razz
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Is there a way we can find out what he's actually saying?

Hmm, next time I'm at Narita I can record the whole thing (if it's still showing).

I don't expect to be there till March though. Maybe I can get Abel to record it for me, he goes ever month.

-t
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Wyvern: Tezuka apparently did produce sex ed vids for kids, so it isn't that weird. Wish I could find the Pulp article about it. This is as good as it gets. Found it.

Dororo rules (and now it's a great PS2 game, too-the english version is called Blood Will Tell) but I'd never heard of Melmo before. I like that in that manga God looks oddly like my High School History teacher,though.

I guess being an American it's kind of weird to think about sex ed videos for kids even EXISITING. Over here we have people throwing hissy fits when Spongebob appears in a music video with the horrible and offensive message of "Respect Other People." In some ways we're more progessive culturally than Japan, but in others they've got us lapped.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Is there a way we can find out what he's actually saying?

Hmm, next time I'm at Narita I can record the whole thing (if it's still showing).

I don't expect to be there till March though. Maybe I can get Abel to record it for me, he goes ever month.

-t

Wow! thanks alot! You guys rack up alot of frequent flyer miles!

off topic...
Dororo looked interesting. How come it was never remade?
jay saenz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:
I see the use of a wrong word: decease instead of disease

Although, considering what he's talking about, in a strange way it works.

This is so weird. Astro Boy is just about the last anime you'd think of when you think "sexual awareness." And anyway, Ochanomizu had a PHD in robotics-he's not even close to a medical doctor. Now BlackJack, there's a guy who's qualified to tell me about HIV. Him I'd listen to. :p

I would say that Dr Ogenki, Dr Shameless or the doctor of Night Shift Nurse have more experience in the sexual field than Dr Ochanomizu or Doctor Black Jack. Since they have sex all the time, and don´t get AIDS, i guess that they are more qualifited to lecture me about about how to prevent it.
Twage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
You know... anything at this point in time to increase awareness of HIV and AIDS by the Japanese...

...is good? ...is pointless? ...is full of delicious strawberry jam?

I'm glad it's at Narita airport, where a lot of foreigners will see it. Because everyone knows Asians don't have AIDS. Rolling Eyes

I remember seeing this last time I was there and thinking "huh." Can you imagine if Walt Disney was still alive and Ludwig von Drake was lecturing people about condoms?

(Maybe this has already happened, but I can't seem to find any information about the 1986 short aside from the title.)
linlinchan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
linlinchan wrote:
You know... anything at this point in time to increase awareness of HIV and AIDS by the Japanese...

...is good? ...is pointless? ...is full of delicious strawberry jam?

I'm glad it's at Narita airport, where a lot of foreigners will see it. Because everyone knows Asians don't have AIDS. Rolling Eyes

I remember seeing this last time I was there and thinking "huh." Can you imagine if Walt Disney was still alive and Ludwig von Drake was lecturing people about condoms?

(Maybe this has already happened, but I can't seem to find any information about the 1986 short aside from the title.)

Yeah, that's exactly my point, though. a: many foreigners seems to believe that Japanese people don't have AIDS, therefore do not use condoms, and b: this bizarre stereo type has spread to Japanese people themselves, which is why the sudden spread of AIDS has really started to pick up in Japan.
Shadowforce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm aware this forum hasn't been active since 2005, but I'm curious if anyone here is still active and has archived this or not or knows anywhere where it may have been. Thank you in advance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2