• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oldest Surviving Japanese TV Anime's Film Discovered

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
man, it is quite amazing at how much art has been lost due to time. If I remember right, roughly 70%+ of all films made before 1960 are gone. That is kind of terrifying.

Not only art, knowledge in general. As a History student, this is something we hear all the time "all these hundreds of books were lost in X war; all these unique treaties were burnt by religious fanatics; we know this book existed but it is lost and we'll probably never find it". I don't have exact numbers, but I'd say roughly 90% of Pre-Columbus mexican codexes were burnt by Spanish frays. And according to one of my teachers, the totality of original Ancient Greek texts we've managed to salvage up to this day don't amount to more than 200-500 texts (which is extremely few if you think this is the legacy of a whole civilisation). The idea alone is kind of despairing.

So of course I'm happy to hear that this old piece of Anime's history could be recovered. I'm not much of a fan of old school anime, but from a historical point of view, I'd really want to watch it
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
For those clamoring about fansubs, do you go out of your way to regularly watch ancient anime? Beyond historical appreciation, I find it kind of hard to really care about the stories and characters, it's just more about "wow, this was made in X year", which was most of what I got out of Hakujaden.

Depends on the title. I genuinely liked Hakujaden, Kumo to Tulip and especially Horus: Prince of the Sun, but there are also a lot of shorts that are mainly of only academic interest: Namakura Katana and Kobu-tori, for example. And Katsudou Shashin is just moeshit killing the industry.

But yeah, I find the 70s are when anime that seem like complete, good stories worthwhile regardless of historical context tend to have become more common.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:58 am Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chikara_to_Onna_no_Yo_no_Naka

I wish somebody could find THIS. The first ever sound anime. Probably lost during WWII, unfortunately, much like the "King Kong" Edo film.
blindworm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
i don't care about watching this, but it's awesome to know the title of the oldest anime, and just how far back it goes

this post should be easily accessible so people can learn about this
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
It's not the oldest anime, if we're considering animation from Japan by Japanese as anime, not by a long shot. It's just the oldest that's been made for TV.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
@ mdo7

Makes my heart break to know alot of films were lost like that. Wonder if there were some who tried to save some for historical reasons as best they can. Good that this anime wasn't lost and can now be viewed and preserved.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
@ mdo7

Makes my heart break to know alot of films were lost like that. Wonder if there were some who tried to save some for historical reasons as best they can. Good that this anime wasn't lost and can now be viewed and preserved.

Remember this was way before VHS, DVDs, Blu-rays, and digital technology. so back then they didn't take film preservation seriously until late 1970's like MGM (because of the MGM film vault fire in 1967), and film directors like Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, and other people (Ted Turner, Clint Eastwood, Francis Ford Coppola) help make film preservation vital to keep old film alive. With today's technology all those old films that survived can get digital transfer (and restoration) so people can watch all these old films for historical purpose.

Yes I'm thankful that old anime is discovered and saved and hopefully will be getting a digital restoration/transfer.

E-Master wrote:
Great discovery! I like it when an incredibly rare anime from the past is found so that way we and future generations can be able to watch it. It's a real blessing that this film was not forever lost in time. It be even more super if the live action films "Japanese King Kong" & "King Kong Appears in Edo" were discovered. An unlikely chance for those two films to be found, but you can never know cause there's no solid evidence that either film was destroyed.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that know about the old Japanese King Kong films. Thanks for mentioning those films.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
Thats an amazing discovery! Makes me think that If all these companies cleaned their warehouses sometimes, they would find more things of the sort xD
Joe anime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Incredible! The new oldest surviving TV anime is going to be a fascinating find. I hope it comes here. I'd love to see it.
It's a nice find,but i doubt it'll be shown here in the states.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Japan began full-fledged color television broadcasts in 1960, but experimental color works were produced on a trial basis beforehand.

Heavens, that most certainly trumps us.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I love stories like this. It's amazing when they come across films that have survived post WWII or before. I want to hear more news on this.
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of the missing epsiodes of Doctor Who turning up every now & again.

Quite a lot of UK TV has been lost, often the tapes were wiped or even filmed series were junked after a few years because they weren't considered worth keeping.

I did hear of a Japanese puppet show that was popular in the early days of Japanese TV which has been mostly lost, but at least episode has been recreated by surviving cast members.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
... the totality of original Ancient Greek texts we've managed to salvage up to this day don't amount to more than 200-500 texts (which is extremely few if you think this is the legacy of a whole civilisation). The idea alone is kind of despairing.

The burning of the library at Alexandria is responsible for most of that loss. The Ptolemies had taken care to warehouse all of their great literature there. At one time Caesar was blamed for the burning, which supposedly spread from fires he had set on ships in the harbor.

Nowadays the historians think that the ruination of the library was a gradual process encompassing many fires and other losses resulting from simple lack of preservation methods for the old scrolls.

What always bothered me about that whole scenario is that the Ptolemies never conscripted/enlisted/forced (whatever they did in those days to create a labor force) scribes to hand-copy the scrolls for storage in different locations. The Church did this during the Medieval Age, and long before Gutenberg came along they managed to mass-produce, distribute, and store a lot of scripture for safekeeping. If only the Ptolemies had done that....
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
This little piece of music should fit the situation perfectly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VRr9NG7RE0

qashairy wrote:
HD remaster possible?

.......how?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
qashairy wrote:
HD remaster possible?

.......how?

It's film, you should be able to digitize it at high resolutions even if it were 8mm. The article mentions the condition of the film is good, so making at least a 720p transfer should be easypeasy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3