• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross, Tatsunoko, Marmony Gold, Big West and AnimEigo

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the topic hasn't already come up here, there's been ton's of discussion about it on some of the internet mailling lists I subscribe to.

A lot of questions about how this will affect AnimEigo's distribution of the Macross DVDs.

Here's my conjecture on that point (and as conjecture it has no place in the article I posted). It seems to me that the issue is one of Trademark, not licencing. HG has always maintained that they onw the rights to the Macross Trademark as well as the licence to the Super Dimensional Macross series. I believe that the Japanese ruling states that they do not own the trademark but does not touch their ownership of the licence.

By owning the trademark, they would have had control (and have exercised this control numerous times in the past) on anything bearing the Macross name or likeness, not just the original Macross series. This control has effectively kept all macross merchandice and all later series & movies (with the notable exception of Macross Plus) out of the United States.

If they do not have the control over the Macross TM it is good news as it would mean that we may start seing more of the Macross series and related Merchandise.

However, if I am wrong and the ruling also deals with the Macross Licence for the first SD Macross tv series, the one that was licenced to AnimEigo, this could be bad news for AnimEigo.

If Harmony Gold never had the right to sell that licence to AE then AE effectively doesn't have the right to distribute the DVDs. While AE has distributed the boxed sets, the single releases were still planned for later.

Fortunately, AE is said to be in fairly good graces with Big West and Studio Nue so if this whole issue does touch upon the Macross license there is still hope that AE will be able to work something out with the proper rights holders.

AnimEigo isn't the only company that might also be affected by this. As Harmony Gold does not own the SDM TM, they also do no have licencing rights to SDM merchandice. Here's where it gets complicated, most Robotech merchandise can also be considered SDM merchandise, so while the Robotech series itself is in no danger, people have been suggesting that Toynami's Robotech models can not be distributed without Big West's permission.

Interesting, hmm?

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Feb 28, 2002 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

If Harmony Gold never had the right to sell that licence to AE then AE effectively doesn't have the right to distribute the DVDs. While AE has distributed the boxed sets, the single releases were still planned for later.

Fortunately, AE is said to be in fairly good graces with Big West and Studio Nue so if this whole issue does touch upon the Macross license there is still hope that AE will be able to work something out with the proper rights holders.

AnimEigo isn't the only company that might also be affected by this. As Harmony Gold does not own the SDM TM, they also do no have licencing rights to SDM merchandice. Here's where it gets complicated, most Robotech merchandise can also be considered SDM merchandise, so while the Robotech series itself is in no danger, people have been suggesting that Toynami's Robotech models can not be distributed without Big West's permission.

Interesting, hmm?

Hmmm, hopely it doesn't stop AE from making Macross DVDs (Mostly because I have gotten the box set.), but the other company that might get effected is ADV becasue of Robotech DVDs, mostly because that is one of the earliest anime series I have seen (or remember).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:

Hmmm, hopely it doesn't stop AE from making Macross DVDs (Mostly because I have gotten the box set.), but the other company that might get effected is ADV becasue of Robotech DVDs, mostly because that is one of the earliest anime series I have seen (or remember).

No, ADV won't be affected, HG's right to Robotech and to re-sell Robotech isn't being questioned here.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 1:44 am Reply with quote
www.animenewsservice.com just mentioned that Manga's Macross 2 and Plus are safe, and that Woodhead feels confident the Macross R1 dvd's are safe. So maybe it's gonna be ok after all.
nagash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 4:45 am Reply with quote
I am happy to hear that more Macross stuff might be coming over but I have to ask if it's really that hard to get it now?
I go to a local convention and I know of 3 people there that routinely have Macross merchandise available. I've picked up 2 Veritechs, Minmei, and Misa as action figures. I also have a Minmei model kit.
At the last convention, I picked up a Macross book (explains the story and the characters, but it's in Japanese) and I also noticed that the guy had a rather old Valkyrie toy (VF-1S, I believe). Some of the other people also had Macross (not Robotech) related merchandise. I even know where I could get a copy of DYRL.
Maybe it's just where I live or that I know of this conventions existence but finding Macross merchandise has never been a problem for me. If anything, finding the old Robotech merchandise has been next to impossible.
mike3560

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 11:24 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

I'm surprised the topic hasn't already come up here, there's been ton's of discussion about it on some of the internet mailling lists I subscribe to.

You know Tempest, I'm going to guess 1) It's simply because most of us don't know enough about copyright and trademark laws to be able to talk intelligently about the issue. Domestic licensing is bad enough. International licensing sounds even worse. If someone here does have a background in that area please enlighten us. And 2) Until we get more facts, we may be whipping ourselves up into an unescessary frenzy.

I will say though that I am glad I already have my Macross box set, and am wondering if now there's going to be a run on Macross merchandising still on the shelves that has a U.S. companies' logo on it.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 3:33 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness AE's Macross DVD are safe (In ref. to the update). Now, if they only they hurry up with UY, and AE well make good couple of bucks off of me. *L*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:56 am Reply with quote
I'm just curious - does the Big West/Harmony Gold dispute extend over the OTHER shows that made up Robotech, like Mospeada?

...probably not, but then again, I'm a dumbass. So, anyone want to clear up my suspicions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ShockWave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Ah, it's all administrative law in Japan anyway, so all things are subject to change at any moment without prior notification depending on significant social events or the weather, whichever comes first or last. :twisted:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1