• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wandering Son's Unedited Episodes 10/11 Put on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Ah, it was just that the Crunchyroll stream was delayed then?

Yes. I don't know what the delay was with CR (though I'm sure it was valid reasons).
Since their subtitlers are located in Japan, and seems like the greater Tokyo area, seems quote possible they had the broadcast cut in the can, but the rolling blackouts after the earthquake caused a delay somewhere in the pipeline between studio and subtitler and Crunchyroll.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I expect it was edited simply because they had to skip a week and couldn't or didn't want to reschedule to fit the missing episode in, but neither episodes could simply be dropped from the broadcast.

This is likely it. They wanted to end the TV series in a certain place. Let's call it "episode 12", but noitamina only had 11 time slots because they decided to skip a week in February. Thus they combined two episodes (10 and 11) for the TV airing.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Quote:
We know that a 2 hour movie can fit on one disc, so why do they only put two 25-minute episodes on one?

"Greed is good, and now it's legal"

Because we all know that as long as you work in the anime industry you'll be driving a Ferrari to work. Money never sleeps, does it? Laughing

OK, I give up, what car does Gen Fukunaga drives?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Ah, it was just that the Crunchyroll stream was delayed then?

Yes. I don't know what the delay was with CR (though I'm sure it was valid reasons).
Since their subtitlers are located in Japan, and seems like the greater Tokyo area, seems quote possible they had the broadcast cut in the can, but the rolling blackouts after the earthquake caused a delay somewhere in the pipeline between studio and subtitler and Crunchyroll.

I figured it was something like that. The show aired on time, but they weren't able to translate it right away. Nor should they feel they had to, given the circumstances, and they've been catching up with remarkable speed. And hey, they may not know any better than us what the production company was thinking with this... odd broadcasting decision.

Ah well. There are worse ways to encourage people to purchase and not just watch a series on TV. At least they didn't have an entire second season and only give the information we'd need to actually understand it in OVAs with the Blu-ray release, unlike another series which shall remain unmentioned...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

I know Sam is in Tokyo, but MX Media's translators aren't, at least not all of them. I don't know who is actually subbing Hourou Musuko - haven't heard much out of MX Media since the whole honourifics palava and Ken hasn't been adding their credits to the encyclopedia either.

Crunchyroll did put all their simucasts on hold in the wake of the earthquake, but Hourou Musuko was never named as the previous episode had gone up just a day before the quake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I expect it was edited simply because they had to skip a week and couldn't or didn't want to reschedule to fit the missing episode in, but neither episodes could simply be dropped from the broadcast.

This is likely it. They wanted to end the TV series in a certain place. Let's call it "episode 12", but noitamina only had 11 time slots because they decided to skip a week in February. Thus they combined two episodes (10 and 11) for the TV airing.

No, this is NOT it. They did not skip a week. The Noitamina shows were broadcast on time in Japan the day before and 6 days after the earthquake/tsunami. Noitamina was ALWAYS scheduled for 11 episodes this season, both Fractale and Wandering Son. Wandering son has 12 episodes worth of content mapped out by the producers, so they decided to combine 10 and 11 into one rather plot dense and fairly lackluster episode (it just felt like it was trying to put too much in, there were several very good spots, but it just didn't flow right. I'll forgive them for it. Smile ) Next week, we get the final episode, which will be 12 on the DVD/BluRay and is 11 for the TV broadcast. They are not cutting it to 10 episodes or shortenning anything from what they originally planned, just providing more on the version you have to pay for.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
On the CR release everything is back to schedule. Episode 10 aired 2 days after Episode 9 because the disaster just caused a delay in the release date of Ep. 9 but didn't push any of the other scheduled releases back.

But I'm unclear as to whether CR's ep. 10 is the same as the 10+11 episode. Does that mean that ep. 11 was simply pushed forward a week to combine it with ep. 10?

Well I'll just have to watch to find out because I'm watching the episode right after I finish this post.

***Oh btw just a PSA: When you watch ep. 9 be sure to continue watching after the ending credits, the episode continues for another minute after the credits and the preview.

Edit: yep at the end of the episode they indicate this is episode 10+11 but the previews list the next episode as #11 (which I'm sure is actually the last episode, they just want the numbering consistent).
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Honestly, with the sales that Noitamina shows have been getting lately (particularly for Kuragehime and Shiki which were two well-done shows), I can't blame them for this. Though Kuragehime and Shiki also have DVD/BD exclusive episodes, so this isn't a new thing. In fact, the studio was nice enough to say "We have to tell the whole story with the TV airing", unlike say, Eden of the East, which forced ya to watch a movie if you wanted any sort of conclusive end.

But yeah, Kuragehime and Shiki sold maybe 400 or so copies per volume. That's just... unsustainable. I fear we may lose Noitamina if those trends continue, which would just be awful as Noitamina is kind of like the pillar for well-done creative anime at the moment.

whaaaat, are you serious? Those are the actual numbers? That makes me so sad Sad I really hope that both of those shows get region 1 releases because I want to own them both (and other than Madoka Magica, I can't say the same about any other anime in recent years). It's sad that such great shows are going unseen.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

But yeah, Kuragehime and Shiki sold maybe 400 or so copies per volume. That's just... unsustainable. I fear we may lose Noitamina if those trends continue, which would just be awful as Noitamina is kind of like the pillar for well-done creative anime at the moment.

whaaaat, are you serious? Those are the actual numbers? That makes me so sad Sad I really hope that both of those shows get region 1 releases because I want to own them both

If those only sold 400 in Japan, what distributor would make R1 versions that will sell even less? Confused

Saturn wrote:

(and other than Madoka Magica, I can't say the same about any other anime in recent years). It's sad that such great shows are going unseen.

Ya can't account for taste, even Japanese. Laughing
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:28 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
they indicate this is episode 10+11 but the previews list the next episode as #11 (which I'm sure is actually the last episode, they just want the numbering consistent).

Yeah, I really don't get the numbering. CR called it episode 10 and the bumper calls it episode 10, but the end of the episode calls it 10 and 11, then the preview says the next one is 11. It's more like the DVDs will contain episode 9, 10, 10.5, and 11 with 10 and 10.5 being unedited. Curious what kind of numbers the actual episode will have on it next week.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Saturn wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

whaaaat, are you serious? Those are the actual numbers? That makes me so sad Sad I really hope that both of those shows get region 1 releases because I want to own them both

If those only sold 400 in Japan, what distributor would make R1 versions that will sell even less? Confused

Saturn wrote:

(and other than Madoka Magica, I can't say the same about any other anime in recent years). It's sad that such great shows are going unseen.

Ya can't account for taste, even Japanese. Laughing

I would not say they are "going unseen". Rather they are probably being seen as much as any other late night anime at least. Most just dvr/pvr them (if not using pd/share/bt Very Happy )

Also those figures aren't accurate or maybe it's changed since then but the avg per volume up to last month:
Kuragihime ~814 dvd + 576 bd = 1,390
Shiki averaged 769 dvd + 606 bd = 1,375

That's not surprising and this is the way I see it: For example, Kuragehime vs Wandering Son. I really like Kuragehime and it definitely needs a 2nd season, and I presume the OP is teasing us with future scenes. BUT if I had to choose only one show to spend $500 on, I would choose Wandering Son over it.. and only if I didn't choose something else over that. And with Shiki we're talking about $1000

Anyways I quickly scanned the asuki and fc2.com lists and I see shows like:
Mitsudomoe, MM!, Fortune Arterial, Occult Academy.. all are around the 1,000 - 1,500 bd avg. Shukufuku no Campanella ~940 bd
... So Kuragihime and Shiki are in good company.

A handful noitaminA shows actually did very well, avg.copies / vol:
Moyashimon - 8492 dvd
East of Eden - 3,384 dvd +4,563 bd
East of Eden Movies 1,2 - 3,631 dvd +9,810 bd
The Tatami Galaxy 2,430 dvd + 3,235 bd

it doesn't approach Oreimo, Angel Beats, Bakemonogatari, etc. but in comparison these noitaminA shows still did MUCH better than the shows I mentioned above (MM!, Arterial, Campanella, etc) and many other shows because most shows just don't do too well across the board, so it's not really a matter of taste or people buying everything else but noitaminA shows.

(edit: remove useless filler)

Last edited by configspace on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Past wrote:
they indicate this is episode 10+11 but the previews list the next episode as #11 (which I'm sure is actually the last episode, they just want the numbering consistent).

Yeah, I really don't get the numbering. CR called it episode 10 and the bumper calls it episode 10, but the end of the episode calls it 10 and 11, then the preview says the next one is 11. It's more like the DVDs will contain episode 9, 10, 10.5, and 11 with 10 and 10.5 being unedited. Curious what kind of numbers the actual episode will have on it next week.

Emerje

Even in the previews at the end of Episode 9 it said 10+11.

I realize it is kind of confusing, but it is simply a case of there being different episode numbering for the broadcast version than the publication version.

(Broadcast # = DVD #)
10 = 10+11
11 = 12

Re-watching episode 10 last night, it isn't as bad as I felt at first, but it just doesn't move with the deliberate, sedate pacing that I have come to expect from this show. I will enjoy watching the full versions of the two episodes when they are available...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Also those figures aren't accurate or maybe it's changed since then but the avg per volume up to last month:

Where are these numbers from? The Kuragehime and Shiki DVDs have never appeared on the top 100 DVD lists as far as I know, or and only Shiki has popped up in the > 100 lists I've seen. And this post seems to agree with that. Where does the 814 DVDs come into play, and why only 576 BD when we know for a fact that 790 BDs were sold in the first week for volume 1. Those numbers seem really off.

The ~1300 average for Shiki though seems accurate as it agrees with the estimation given here, and the 606 BD seems to line up exactly with what it sold for the first week.

But as you can tell from the links there, both Kuragehime and Shiki were either the worst or second-worst selling series of its season. That was pretty much my point. It won't surprise me one bit to see Wandering Son at the bottom of the winter 2011 list. And Fractale? It's currently #590 in DVD ranking on Amazon.co.jp... in fact, Wandering Son is #424 right now, so it's actually outselling Fractale, hah!

I wonder if Yamakan will own up to his little statement now.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:19 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
configspace wrote:

Where are these numbers from? The Kuragehime and Shiki DVDs have never appeared on the top 100 DVD lists as far as I know, or and only Shiki has popped up in the > 100 lists I've seen. And this post seems to agree with that. Where does the 814 DVDs come into play, and why only 576 BD when we know for a fact that 790 BDs were sold in the first week for volume 1. Those numbers seem really off.

The ~1300 average for Shiki though seems accurate as it agrees with the estimation given here, and the 606 BD seems to line up exactly with what it sold for the first week.

But as you can tell from the links there, both Kuragehime and Shiki were either the worst or second-worst selling series of its season. That was pretty much my point. It won't surprise me one bit to see Wandering Son at the bottom of the winter 2011 list. And Fractale? It's currently #590 in DVD ranking on Amazon.co.jp... in fact, Wandering Son is #424 right now, so it's actually outselling Fractale, hah!

I wonder if Yamakan will own up to his little statement now.

Search for "Kurgihime" (misspelled with "i" on asuki) they are averages so far of per volume weekly tallies. So that's why that bd figure is lower even though it sold 730 BD copies of vol 1:
Kuragihime ***814+***576=*1,390 (2+) (Brains Base)
2011/01/28 ***814 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes)
2011/01/28 ***730 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes)
2011/02/18 ***422 Vol. 2 (Three episodes up to Vol. 4)

vol 1 dvd figure from:
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/anime/9009/1295339604/656
Quote:

31 **,814 **4.1 海月姫

Like I mentioned even though Shiki is low, I don't see how that's different from just about any other anime
e.g. MM! Fortune Arterial, or previously Vampire Bund, or currently Campanella, another Funi show but moe, loli bishoujo harem mahoushoujo ero dating sim origins:
Blessing of the Campanella (Shukufuku no Campanella) ***946 (6+) (AIC/FUNimation)
2010/09/22 *1,000 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 6)
2010/10/22 ***958 Vol. 2
2010/11/25 ***971 Vol. 3
2010/12/22 **,*** Vol. 4
2011/01/26 ***905 Vol. 5
2011/02/23 ***900 Vol.

and so many others.
Since you mentioned Yamakan, it's interesting he storyboarded ep 6 of Chuu-bra! and that also did badly, averaging 550 BD copies per vol.

Other noitaminA shows:
RIDEBACK] ***533 (6) (Madhouse) (BD figures)
Ristorante Paradiso *1,459 (5) (David Production)
The Tatami Galaxy (Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei) *2,430+*3,235=*5,665 (4) (Madhouse/FUNimation)

I guess in other words, it shouldn't be surprising when a show doesn't do too well, no matter what it is--Fractale, Wandering Son and TONS of other non-noitaminA shows. Not even Shin Koihime†Musou ~Otome Tairan~ did great: *1,162 dvd +*1,214 bd =*2,376 (avg across 7 vol) something you might have expected for example. What IS surprising is when a show does well, or even just going beyond breaking even for smaller shows like Tatami Galaxy, which really surprised me
cookingupnovels

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else notice that the ages are wrong in the article?
I'm pretty sure they're in seventh grade. O.o
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3