• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Would an anime opening affect the rating you give?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would an anime opening affect the rating you give?
perhaps...
23%
 23%  [ 53 ]
no
38%
 38%  [ 86 ]
yes
26%
 26%  [ 58 ]
that makes no sense
11%
 11%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 223

Otishio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
It seems like I'm sharing the same preference as quite a few people. If I like the opening then I enjoy listening to it but if I don't it's not going to affect my score I give the show. I rarely skip the opening good or bad as I think having an opening is nice and enjoyable. Most openings I hear to my taste are decent so it's a pretty rare time when I listen to an opening and can easily say I don't like it.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
An opening wouldn't affect my rating of a mediocre show, but a great opening can make a quality show that much better. A good example example here is Black Lagoon. The hard-rock Engrishy opening completely represents the overall tone and feel of the show.

I suppose that indirectly the quality of the opening of the show could correlate with favorable ratings. If the show is high quality, the production staff might go out of their way to make a good opening. Oreimo and Pani Poni come to mind. If they go to all the trouble to make multiple good openings (or in the case of Oreimo, if they go to the trouble of slightly tweaking the opening for each episode) you're probably going to get a good show.

Last edited by victor viper on Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it most certainly would, or does. Created anime have either of two classifications: the anime itself is an original work or the anime is an adaptation of an original work. Every aspect of an anime contributes to the overall rating of it, may these aspects consist of the animation/production quality, the storyline, the character development, and/or the opening(s) (and for that matter, the closings). Now if it's a case where an original work preceded it, then there's even more for it to live up to; how cohesive every detail of the anime adaptation is to the original work.

Last edited by Tenbyakugon on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Anime openings aren't too big of a deal for me in rating the quality of an anime as they are only a minor aspect to any title I'm watching. I might nitpick a little about unusual song selections used for OP/ ED sequences to the title not consistent with the kind of story a title is trying to tell. But mostly, my overall rating is completely centered on the content within all the episodes of any anime title that I'm viewing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
By and large, no. The only way an opening would affect the rating I give would be if it was so terrible it put me off the show entirely, thus I wouldn't rate it. It'd have to be pretty bad to do that though.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
No, I don't think an anime opening would have any effect on how good I think the show is. Even with a bad opening, I would be able to enjoy an anime show of any sort, as long as the story's good.
manicli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
If the opening is really good or really bad yes

A good opening would be like darker than black season 1.

A bad opening for me would be the melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya season 2.
The Lost Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
Yes, for me it changes the atmosphere of the show dramatically. Like in Jinrui wa suitai shimashita (cant remember the english name Embarassed) the opening sets up a playful, quirky atmostphere, the ending song makes you feel... hmm, like you've watched a movie? It concludes the story well and I like the songs.

Spice and Wolf opens with an addictively beautiful piece that draws me to the show over and over, which is all I need because personally I have trouble getting started watching shows and movies. I didn't like the ending theme however, I skip it and there isn't enough break from the show.

I rate shows based on how I feel about them, the songs change how I feel, so of course the rating might change, perhaps even significantly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
Of course it does, openings and endings are book marks of an episode, they set the tone, and hopefully give you an impression that you can enjoy reminiscing about by hearing.

I feel like I should act like an elitist or something, a sad fact I often feel is that sequel seasons often fail to live up to some really good first season openings, which just begs the show to fall.

Another instance would be Kurenai
(LINK), in ways I consider it an amazing series that it deserves high praise, but its opening is really bad, and leaves a bad taste that hurts the series.

While something like Mayoi Neko Overun (LINK) has a not very amazing show overall, but it's song of Happy New Nyaa really boosts it.
The Lost Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I feel like I should act like an elitist or something, a sad fact I often feel is that sequel seasons often fail to live up to some really good first season openings, which just begs the show to fall.

Like Darker than Black where they changed the opening from Howling . Ruined my whole life, that song was badass.

Quote:
While something like Mayoi Neko Overun (LINK) has a not very amazing show overall, but it's song of Happy New Nyaa really boosts it.

OMG! You just made me realize what someones avatar is here - that black cats face from this show. I honestly thought it was Mr. Popo from DBZ o.O
The Lost Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Another instance would be Kurenai
(LINK), in ways I consider it an amazing series that it deserves high praise, but its opening is really bad, and leaves a bad taste that hurts the series.

Surprised I didn't notice this the first episode I saw. I couldn't agree more the opening and ending don't fit at all. I wonder what they were even thinking.
misschidori

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
While I definitely mention the catastrophic or grandiose openings of an anime when I'm discussing it with friends, it definitely does not affect my overall rating of the show. Openings are just that: openings. They serve as introductions to the main feature, and although it's fantastic if they can serve as features themselves, they are not part of the storyline or character development within the show, and I therefore do not validate them as such.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Opening = 1.5 mins.

1.5 x 12 = 18

So, if you remove the opening from each episode, you'll pretty much have 12 episodes, and another of just openings. Length wise. And that's ignoring the ending.

A rating runs from 0 to 10. We have 11 numbers out of 13. Or 0.85. Accounting for the inaccuracy of the first count, let's call it 0.7 (of a 0-10 rating). Alongside the ending, they would account for over 1.5 of that rating, length wise.

As an answer to people who think it's unreasonable to account for it in the rating. Not even to mention the impact it has on the overall of the series. Music and visual repetition carry and liven up memories of past episodes. If I'm skipping it, I'm losing some. Unless I'm marathoning the whole series.

I usually have it as a tie breaker. Not sure if I mentioned it in earlier posts (probably did). If I'm stuck between a 7 or 8, for example, I usually look back at the opening and ending.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Perhaps..... but IF and ONLY IF the OST is great/terrific. Otherwise I'll merely mention it in the comment section.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
No. If the opening is beautiful, fits the mood and style of the anime and makes me want to watch it every single time, that's a nice bonus, but it does not affect my rating of the anime, and neither do openings I don't like, I just skip them and that's it.

I am, however, happy about nice openings that contribute to the anime, put you in the right mood etc., like the ones of Monster, Samurai Champloo, the current one of Psycho-Pass, or the ones that have such a great song you cannot help but listen and hum along every single time, like Evangelion, Escaflowne, and the 2. opening of Fate/Zero. Of course, tastes may differ.

There might be a single exception where I might have thought about including the opening in my rating, and that's Wolf's Rain, not because of the opening itself, but because of spoiler[what they did with it in the end of the show].

And openings I don't like don't affect the rating either. I disliked every single opening and ending of Code Geass and would never have watched the series based on those, and I would still rate the first season a masterpiece.

The soundtrack of the anime itself, however, will definitely influence my rating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4