• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Would an anime opening affect the rating you give?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would an anime opening affect the rating you give?
perhaps...
23%
 23%  [ 53 ]
no
38%
 38%  [ 86 ]
yes
26%
 26%  [ 58 ]
that makes no sense
11%
 11%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 223

LanceC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I think it does. I cannot confirm this, but I think unconsciously I will give a higher rating to an anime. I think it affects me less than the sounds and music used during an episode, but it still may have an effect. It only matters for a max of 0.5/ 10 though, not more.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
This thread has had lingering random posts a few months before between posts so I suppose it will be allowed again this time given the threads sporadic nature. That being said since I didn't vote earlier I'll do it now. The opening and endings have 0 impact on me one way or another. At least in terms of the rating I give the show. If I really enjoy the opening or ending it does add to the memorable moments at the end perhaps but it won't change my rating of the SHOW itself. I've had endings or openings I liked with shows I didn't care for that much, and vice versa.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote
Anime producers choose the opening of their films carefully...Thank you...
alpeia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
No. The best example of this is Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (TV). It has an awesome opening, but but the plot, characters and storytelling etc. plumb the nethermost depths of boredom and mediocrity.

Another good example of that for me would be Himiko Den. I think personally it's one of the best anime openings of all time, just to bad the rest of the animation wasn't done that way.

I really don't believe a great opening is going to make a bad story better. If someone actually falls for it they are only fooling themselves.
CarnivalCorpse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
No, whilst I like a awesome opening, if a show with a weak opening has good character development, a intriguing storyline etc etc then it doesn't provoke much reaction in me cept maybe a eyeroll.
Killaclown666

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
not at all, i usually skip the openings after watching it only like once, i think of it as like the case to an anime, sure it can be cool but ultimately it doesnt change whats inside. (also i think theres lots of ending songs that i never even watched completely even once)
ZeroXSword

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Not really. I mean, if it's really bad, i'll probably just skip it. And if it's really good, then all the better. It's the actual anime itself that matters most.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
It depends. If it's really good, I'll probably have a better overall impression of the series, if it's really bad, I'll most likely skip it and it won't affect how I watch the series at all. But there are a handful of cases in which a great opening can be prejudicing for a series, like, for instance, the opening of Occult Academy. It's a fantastic opening, it's insane and promises all sorts of occult and esoteric creatures and magic. Occult Academy isn't a bad series by any means, but the opening made me hope for a lot more than it actually delivered so I was disappointed and my overall enjoyment of it diminished quite a bit. An opening that promises much more than the series can deliver will most definitely damage the rating I give it.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
An opening wouldn't affect how much I enjoyed an anime, most of the time if I plan to watch more than one episode of a series I will watch the opening once (unless I love the opening) and then the same of the ending credits. Shows like Anohana, Eureka Seven and Baccano have some of my favourite openings but I have not rated them any higher because of that (although I could not rate Anohana any higher Laughing ).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
No, it doesn't. Sometime a anime with bland plot and animation can have the best opening which seduce you to watch it and in the end the show can be bland or mediocre. Don't judge a book by it's cover, that's what I say. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime Viewer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
If the show is much better than the opening then the opening would not affect how i rate the show.
If the opening is of the same quality as the show it would not affect my opinion of the show.
If the opening is superior to the show then it may affect my opinion of the show.
Snoopyloopy24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:56 am Reply with quote
Depends for me, I won't give a rating lower because of a bad opening but it can affect giving the anime an higher rating if the OP is bad.
yannews

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:17 am Reply with quote
It doesn't matter whether the opening is awesome or not,if the characters and story suck then everything sucks.
Myrick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:14 pm Reply with quote
For me, it would. The OP may not be part of the anime itself but it still affects the viewer's overall experience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4