• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oldest TV Anime's Color Screenshots Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes

Space Battleship Yamato Blu-ray looks absolutely beautiful. So do the Lupin III Blu-rays. No, I'm not going to post screenshots just for you. Do your own research.

Looking forward to seeing this, somehow.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Out of interest, which pre-00s anime Blu-ray killed your children exactly? I'm a community-minded fellow and if it's still at large I'm thinking of putting up posters.

If the HD transfer of the material is worth the extra bucks and gives me a great new viewing experience, then fine. If it doesn't, then I'll stick with SD. I don't believe in HD for the sake of HD.
mrsatan wrote:
Space Battleship Yamato Blu-ray looks absolutely beautiful. So do the Lupin III Blu-rays. No, I'm not going to post screenshots just for you. Do your own research.

Looking forward to seeing this, somehow.

If you're going to bring a gun to this fight, you do not ask your opponents to fetch you your ammo. You're the one who insists on Blu-Ray looking better, you do the research and back up your boast!

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Quote:
Definitely closer to Senya Ichiya Monogatari than Hakujaden. I'd say my interest is piqued, I thought it was just gonna be some stupid flitty stuff for children with similar designs to other stuff from that era. Bring it on, in HD.

How do you show something like this in HD?
16mm film. Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
In case an alternative name is required for foreign markets, I have the following proposal: The future according to Ivor the Engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
jymmy wrote:
Out of interest, which pre-00s anime Blu-ray killed your children exactly? I'm a community-minded fellow and if it's still at large I'm thinking of putting up posters.

If the HD transfer of the material is worth the extra bucks and gives me a great new viewing experience, then fine. If it doesn't, then I'll stick with SD. I don't believe in HD for the sake of HD.

I do. And if not 720p or higher, at least giving something on film an HD transfers and releasing it on DVD is the least they can do.
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
That's some impressive detail, especially compared to some of the oldest anime I've seen, but even in contemporary terms. It reminds me of the work Gekidan Inu Curry has done for SHAFT.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I do. And if not 720p or higher, at least giving something on film an HD transfers and releasing it on DVD is the least they can do.

Understandable if it provides noticeable improvement in viewing quality. Otherwise, you're just being a glutton for the sake of feeding more money to the media industry.

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Quote:

Understandable if it provides noticeable improvement in viewing quality.

It always will unless it's a terrible hackjob transfer, like those Fleischer Superman cartoons. If you don't care whatosever about visual quality, that's fine, but I'd like to see this and other things look their personal best and I don't want "but SD is fine!" opinions dragging it backwards.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It always will unless it's a terrible hackjob transfer, like those Fleischer Superman cartoons. If you don't care whatosever about visual quality, that's fine, but I'd like to see this and other things look their personal best and I don't want "but SD is fine!" opinions dragging it backwards.

SD, when authored professionally, can give the material the best look it can ever get. There is a reason why DVDs were so mad popular when they hit the market. It wasn't just about getting more features than what you could get on VHS, you had noticeable improvement in video and sound quality. What exactly does Blu-Ray HD bring to the table that DVDs can't in their utmost professional authored form? Wake up! Blu-Ray HD is nothing but a gimmick devised by the media industry to make gluttons like yourself pay for more features than you truly need! If anything, digital downloads are the real improvement here in media viewership since you don't need to buy another flipping player just to watch a damn movie on television!

Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Understandable if it provides noticeable improvement in viewing quality.

I'm honestly not a videophile, but I believe in quality for the sake of quality and HD vs SD is incredibly obviously superior quality, not just implicitly but observably. 4K is HD for the sake of HD, at least when it comes to home viewing environments with televisions under 80 or so inches. When something's being aired to be displayed on an HD television, they should not go out of their way to do an intentionally bad transfer, that's what I'm saying. I would like to see the linework as sharp as it reasonably could be and the colours as bright and accurate as the HD specification allows.

The real question is why you would want it to look worse for people who care about the inarguable difference just because you by your own admission do not. That just seems selfish and not a little petty to me.

Another, far more valid point: this is an historically relevant piece of art. Why wouldn't they want to make a high-quality digital archive of it? That's what you do to worthwhile old film: you preserve it in unnecessary quality so it's not lost.

Anyway, some comparisons. They're of newer anime, but since the process is the same it doesn't matter (except for Madoka, but that's an addendum). First is Nadia: old DVD and new Blu-ray. Lines in her hair are destroyed, everything's blurry, the artistry has literally been removed from the clouds, the colours are muddy and look like total arse, or rather the product thereof. Yuck. That's an inferior transfer, though, so let's now compare Cowboy Bebop's old, very respectable remastered DVD release and its new Blu-ray one. Well, gee, it didn't look bad before but now it looks fantastic. I just realised I took these screenshots as .jpgs, but whatever, the difference is clear. Imagine the I'm sure not going to offer my eyes old and busted now that new hotness is here and incontrovertibly superior. A final note, let's compare a not particularly detailed shot from the Madoka OP - so that's a 2011 title, produced digitally: DVD vs Blu-ray. There are a couple of details smudged out, like those on foreground-Madoka's skirt, or Kyubey's left eye, but those aren't that important. Rather, look at how the colours become jarring and, inaccurate and the image overall is blurry.

Blurry is the keyword: when viewing on an HD monitor or television, SD will look blurry, no matter how well you upscale them (and I've used some pretty good upscaling tools). HD looks normal. That's it in a nutshell. HD-capable devices are not in the slightest bit uncommon and assuming the programme isn't on an obscure Japanese SD channel, there's no reason to intentionally worsen the quality of the picture they're putting onto it.

Edit: timed that post badly.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow! The stills make this look gorgeous and weird! The bright colors and cutout animation remind me of Emanuele Luzzati Ivan Ivanov-Vano's cutout-animation works, but this was actually a few years before those! That's really interesting! I hope to see this piece someday.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Quote:
Definitely closer to Senya Ichiya Monogatari than Hakujaden. I'd say my interest is piqued, I thought it was just gonna be some stupid flitty stuff for children with similar designs to other stuff from that era. Bring it on, in HD.

How do you show something like this in HD?

Depends on the size of the film it was shot on, but 35mm film is a higher resolution than anything you'll get on Bluray right now.

Given this was made for television, it was probably done on 16mm if I'm right about the grains of the print in those pictures. At least the color held up well (not sure what stock they're using but probably one from Fuji).

Zin5ki wrote:
In case an alternative name is required for foreign markets, I have the following proposal: The future according to Ivor the Engine.

I wonder how many Americans have heard of that British classic? Laughing

Myaow wrote:
Wow! The stills make this look gorgeous and weird! The bright colors and cutout animation remind me of Emanuele Luzzati Ivan Ivanov-Vano's cutout-animation works, but this was actually a few years before those! That's really interesting! I hope to see this piece someday.

It kinda reminded me of the work of Canadian animator Evelyn Lambart myself. She did that kind of work for the National Film Board of Canada, but certainly there were plenty of animators who worked in the paper cut-out format of animation going back to the silent days.
Animulover90

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
Hoping to see this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2