• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Silver Spoon, Servant x Service Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Well it good they will pick it up but sucks for to high of a price

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Excited for Silver Spoon, I hope the anime does well enough to make someone pick up the manga.

As for the price I think it will depend on how popular the show is. If it is really popular like PPMM or SAO then they will have L.E. box set and release it in as many volumes that they can. If it's not very popular then they will do a single set release more like Oreimo at fairly reasonable price.

I can't imagine that it will be as popular as something like SAO just from it's subject matter so I think the eventual release will probably be around $80 for a Blu-ray (if it is even popular enough to justify a Blu-ray) and around $60 for DVD.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
As for the Silver Spoon manga, it's pretty much VIZ or bust as they have the say for all Shueisha and Shogakukan titles in the US and Canada at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
While hardly a perfect solution, you could always try a multi-region player and import European releases after Aniplex sublets the licence to them; eg Manga Entertainment in the UK picks up a number of Aniplex titles. Obviously there is the sting of buying a new, pricy system up-front, waiting for anything up to a year after the show is released in the states, import tax, the possibility of a dvd-only release, & the product not being a premium edition; still, if you see yourself buying a fair number of Aniplex products, it'll probably save you a bit of money in the end. I picked up the entire season of Madoka on Blu-ray for less than £25/around $40. At least it's an alternative to grumbling every time Aniplex so much a glances in a show's direction.

As for the extortionate price of Sword Art Online, I'd like to stay positive and try to imagine Aniplex actually doing people a favour by placing it out of their reach. ^^ Honestly, the acquisition of that show always bothered me. I know it was super popular, but unlike, say, Madoka or Bakemonogatari, there didn't seem much of an audience outside the early/mid teenage crowd. Maybe, I have it wrong & the show is also popular with older fans, but it seems the most vocal supporters are also the most unlikely to afford it. That feels a little skeezy.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Glad to see that Servant × Service will be getting a home release. The series is one of the top five summer season series that I am looking forward to (bureaucracy + slice-of-life = interesting) , so its nice to know that I will eventually be able to get my hands on a physical copy of it.

Blood- wrote:
If there is going to be a home release then there's gonna be a price. That follows the way night follows day. Now, maybe you are thoroughly sick of reading complaints about AoA's prices, but that doesn't mean you should be surprised that it is topic number one with a lot of posters whenever the subject of an AoA home release comes up.

Maybe she shouldn't be surprised, but she (as well as any other rational person) are well within the right to roll their eyes when they see those complaints due to the reality that the debate/conversation surrounding AoA and its pricing structure is a DEAD HORSE that you and other Anti-AoA people, for some ridiculous reason, still desire to kick (seriously, Aniplex of America is NOT going to change (nor should they) and everyone's opinions about the company and its business model are set in stone at this point (i.e.: continuing to complain about AoA and their pricing is POINTLESS, A WASTE of TIME, and TROLLING).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you have a real genius for simply repeating my point, don't you? I've already posted that I can understand why somebody would be tired of reading AoA price complaints but that nobody should be surprised that they crop up any time AoA is mentioned. The only way that is going to stop is if ANN starts making AoA price complaints a bannable offense.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
TypicalUsername wrote:
Hah! I love you entitled haters! Every time I see an Aniplex of America post on ANN, I have to click on it to see the haters.
Go AoA! For people who still don't have it as bad as the Japanese market where you have to pay $80 for a 2 episode BD, you love to complain. Most of you all DL the Fansub anyway, and when the Anime market in the states bombs out again, you'll still complain.
They're still in business and if they're making it work well, good for them! Stop complaining and if the price point is too much for you, go illegal then and risk getting busted. It's that whole steal a loaf of bread argument.

And the Pollyanna defenders of AniplexUSA dutifully march out to defend handing their wallets over to that company. lol I just remember the Haneamise and Bandai Visual experiment of trying to push outrageous Japanese otaku prices onto the US market. Where is that distribution company right now...? Oh yeah, they went out of business in the US. We'll see how long AniplexUSA can stay around.
gothicangel89

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

Sword Art Online will be available bilingual on DVD(so those would have the English dubs).

Vol. 1(7 episodes)- $40
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/wCSHN-Te=GVVfeSGXS/browse/item/98499/4/0/0

Vol. 2(7 episodes)-$40
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/wCSHN-Te=GVVfeSGXS/browse/item/98501/4/0/0

Vol. 3(5 episodes)-$40
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/wCSHN-Te=GVVfeSGXS/browse/item/98503/4/0/0

Vol 4(6 episodes)-$40
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/wCSHN-Te=GVVfeSGXS/browse/item/98505/4/0/0

So at least there is a way for you to watch that dubbed on DVD.

I know but like I said, I never have enough money for it. I'm still trying to pay off my credit card here after buying Blue Exorcist on DVD and August is gonna be terrible for me because of two video games I've pre-ordered.
And as if I can spend a little over $40 each month for SAO. I always end up choosing UPS as my shipping so that's gonna have to wait until either the holidays or next year to buy all of it since shipping is free on Right Stuf when you buy over $49.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Sachiko2010 wrote:
I just remember the Haneamise and Bandai Visual experiment of trying to push outrageous Japanese otaku prices onto the US market. Where is that distribution company right now...? Oh yeah, they went out of business in the US. We'll see how long AniplexUSA can stay around.

Yeah, but they were offering either old content (Gunbuster, Honneamise, Patlabor) or things people really didn't want in big numbers (Galaxy Angel Rune, SRW, etc). There's a wide gulf of difference between anime like that THE NEW HOTNESS like SAO, *Gatari, or whatever is burning fresh from the anime oven.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought that Funimation would snap up Silver Spoon, since they have FMA too
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sachiko2010 wrote:
I just remember the Haneamise and Bandai Visual experiment of trying to push outrageous Japanese otaku prices onto the US market. Where is that distribution company right now...? Oh yeah, they went out of business in the US. We'll see how long AniplexUSA can stay around.

Yeah, but they were offering either old content (Gunbuster, Honneamise, Patlabor) or things people really didn't want in big numbers (Galaxy Angel Rune, SRW, etc). There's a wide gulf of difference between anime like that THE NEW HOTNESS like SAO, *Gatari, or whatever is burning fresh from the anime oven.

Well, we'll see what the market will bear, I guess. My suspicion is that as time goes on their market will decrease dramatically and they will either go out of business (at least the business of distributing blu rays and DVDs in the US) or they will change their price point.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Sachiko2010 wrote:
And the Pollyanna defenders of AniplexUSA dutifully march out to defend handing their wallets over to that company.

No way I can afford the Aniplex releases, but if there is more money to be made at their price points than at lower price points, I'm fine with it.

After all, the difference between Aniplex price points and highway robbery is that Aniplex only takes money from people who volunteer to hand their money over.

As long as Aniplex makes the content widely available via streaming, the complaint about the pricing of the collectible release is just people whining about the shape of the demand curve that Aniplex happens to find in the market for anime.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Sachiko2010 wrote:

Well, we'll see what the market will bear, I guess. My suspicion is that as time goes on their market will decrease dramatically and they will either go out of business (at least the business of distributing blu rays and DVDs in the US) or they will change their price point.

Keep telling yourself that (whatever helps you sleep at night). Rolling Eyes
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I would have thought that Funimation would snap up Silver Spoon, since they have FMA too

Its not up to Funimation, since Aniplex produces it. They'll release all their notable titles themselves now instead of going through a middleman.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I've already posted that I can understand why somebody would be tired of reading AoA price complaints but that nobody should be surprised that they crop up any time AoA is mentioned. The only way that is going to stop is if ANN starts making AoA price complaints a bannable offense.

Or...... the moderators could just delete comments about AoA's pricing in talkback sections that are related to news articles that have nothing to do with the prices of specific releases (that will make it stop). Wink

Ultimately, people need to drop the debate about AoA's pricing instead of trying to rekindle it every time a news post related to AoA shows up (everyone has said what can be said about the subject, everyone's heels are dug in at this point, and Aniplex of America is not going to change (no matter how many times the Anti-AoA crowd busts out their tired "Aniplex of America is an evil and greedy company that is 'cock blocking' shows" argument)).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5