• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Silver Spoon, Servant x Service Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
gothicangel89 wrote:
Now I'm worried whether if AoA will license Persona 3 Movie which I don't want them to.

Assuming that the production isn't that different from Persona 4, Funi, NISA, and Sentai should have just as much of a chance as Aniplex to pick those up. Aniplex was mainly in charge of DVD and BD release in Japan while Atlus was the main producer for Persona 4... I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dimlos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
TypicalUsername wrote:
Hah! I love you entitled haters!
Whether it's the anime, video game, movie, music or any other industry, seeing people write off voices of dissent as "entitled" is bloody disgusting.

It's fine if you want to be a corporate drone that will bend over and take whatever they push onto you, but trying to push aside valid complaints by calling people "entitled" is pathetic.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
I mean they have no anime released that you can get the whole thing for under a hundred dollars, and that includes 12 episode series.
Incorrect. The OreImo sets and Baccano BDs were released in full for under $100 USD. 2-cour releases are often priced above MSRP for other licensors (but retailers get a larger chunk of the MSRP for them), so it's bad to compare those.

Well those are rare exceptions to the rule. That Oreimo was a cut down DVD set and Baccano is an old show which Funi is still selling the DVDs of. Even disregarding the Aniplex imports, it is safe to assume that all 1-cour AoA releases will be over $100 and up to 5x the US BD price. The PMMM limited edition is $225 in total while the regular edition BDs are still $120. Bakemonogtari is $150 (all street prices).

They aren't licensing everything Aniplex of Japan produces and they know they have to be very selective. After all, Durarara didn't work out for them. But it is simply more honest to admit that AoA releases are significantly more expensive, accept their strategy, and move the discussion to whether or not the releases are worth it. For example, I like Blue Exorcist, but I don't think it's worth it, not until at least it goes on sale, which has never happened so far with Aniplex titles AFAIK. As far as streaming (Neon Alley/Hulu/Crunchyroll) or the rare TV broadcast goes, I think that is merely a bonus. Their business cannot rely on the fans being satisfied with streams.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I was really looking forward to seeing the preview of Silver Spoon but I must say after watching it I was underwhelmed by the animation. I can't help but think it looks cheap as hell. I love the whole theme of this series and will check out the show, but that animation....UGH! If the quality across the board is not there, I don't care WHAT the price is, I'll easily buy something else.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope they dub Silver Spoon, though I don't know if it'll be any good yet, all of the other R1 companies would have in my opinion.
ShindoW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
There went any hope of me owning this show. I guess I can watch it subbed on Crunchy, but it's likely they will dub it which means they really want me to pay out my butt for their overpriced DVDs. I hope they put these out at a reasonable price.

I still want to buy Madoka... ;__;
Lost_Shy_One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Silver Spoon seems interesting. Also, what's Servant x Service about?
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
TypicalUsername wrote:
Hah! I love you entitled haters!
Whether it's the anime, video game, movie, music or any other industry, seeing people write off voices of dissent as "entitled" is bloody disgusting.

It's fine if you want to be a corporate drone that will bend over and take whatever they push onto you, but trying to push aside valid complaints by calling people "entitled" is pathetic.

Yeah....the majority of the "complaints" about Aniplex of America's pricing are NOT valid (they are simply emotionally charged rhetoric that lack reason and originate from individuals who are butthurt that AoA has chosen to target the more lucrative and less risky part of the US fan community (hardcore fans who will pay for collector's editions of series) instead of marketing to everyone with regards to releases). Rolling Eyes
gothicangel89

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
gothicangel89 wrote:
Now I'm worried whether if AoA will license Persona 3 Movie which I don't want them to.

Assuming that the production isn't that different from Persona 4, Funi, NISA, and Sentai should have just as much of a chance as Aniplex to pick those up. Aniplex was mainly in charge of DVD and BD release in Japan while Atlus was the main producer for Persona 4... I think.

No, they're not. Aniplex is one of the producer for Persona 4 The Animation so I was technically referring to the DVD/BD release in general since Aniplex is one of the few companies I know that produced DVDs and Blu-ray in Japan.
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:

Yeah....the majority of the "complaints" about Aniplex of America's pricing are NOT valid (they are simply emotionally charged rhetoric that lack reason and originate from individuals who are butthurt that AoA has chosen to target the more lucrative and less risky part of the US fan community (hardcore fans who will pay for collector's editions of series) instead of marketing to everyone with regards to releases). Rolling Eyes

This.

Its quite evident that most people in this thread haven't done a basic economics course or even a basic marketing course. If you sell for a higher price and people are willing to pay for it, you can make as much or if not more profit that a smaller price with more customers. Hell, some goods have such inelastic demand(like cigarettes or petrol) that you can vastly increase the price of the good and you'll still sell a similar amount. Evidently AoA believe their products fit these categories and are selling their goods at that price, it also stops the risk of reverse importation.

TL;DR AoA gonna do what is best for their business and not for your wallet. Just like Funi does what's best for their business and not for your wallet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5