• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Game Bound for USA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
ferrarimanf355 wrote:
And therein lies the problem. I'm a Narutard. I'm also an Xbox fanboy. Why must the Xbox always get the short end of the stick? Crying or Very sad
Well, the XBox isn't popular in Japan. Why makes games for a system that isn't popular for the country it aimmed at? That's why most of the games for the XBox aimmed at American gamers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
^^ You just misread the prices a little. The text does say the GCN game is $39.99 and the GBA games are $29.99.

Actually, it doesn't. Read GATSU's article and it clearly states what I quoted in my previous post, even though it's incorrect. You misread the prices, but your common sense overrode the incorrect Gamecube price.

No, no, no. This is what the article said:

"Bandai is not listed for the latter three titles, but the retail appears to be $39.99, and $29.99 for the GC and GBA games, respectively."

Respectively means the $39.99 was for GC and the $29.99 was for GBA. And I would bet that the second GBA Naruto game listed on Amazon is Naruto: Konoha Senki, since the second side-scroller and the RPG are both much more advanced in the storyline of the anime, since they both came out in Japan in 2004, a year after the first side-scroller and Konoha Senki in 2003, which is also the same year the first Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen came out for GCN in Japan and the first Naruto: Narultimate Hero came out for PS2 in Japan. By the way, Konoha Senki is a strategy game.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quote
http://www.animenewsservice.com/ mentions 4 games. So I'm wondering if that includes the one being released by Bandai. Also, according to them, "The first title to be marketed will be on the Game Boy Advance, the title is NARUTO NINJA COUNCIL. Following that a Gamecube title, CLASH OF NINJA will be sold."
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
http://www.animenewsservice.com/ mentions 4 games. So I'm wondering if that includes the one being released by Bandai. Also, according to them, "The first title to be marketed will be on the Game Boy Advance, the title is NARUTO NINJA COUNCIL. Following that a Gamecube title, CLASH OF NINJA will be sold."

Alright! Thanks for that, GATSU! It seems that there is more and more popping up about Nintendo-based Naruto games coming to America! I'm taking this as official confirmation, since this is what the news story on that site fully says:

"10-12-05 (4:39AM EDT)---- Tomy Gets North And South American Naruto Video Games License

On Wednesday in Tokyo, Tomy Ltd. announced it has obtained licensing from Viz Media that will allow it to sale and market 4 video games based on Naruto. The agreement will see several titles arriving on Nintendo platforms across North and South America from the spring of 2006. Tomy will enter the American market for the first time in full scale as a publisher. They aim to strengthen it's brand in foreign markets. 9 NARUTO games have been released in Japan since April, 2003. Sales there have been of a blockbuster stature with 2.3 million units sold. 1 million units in the first year is the American sales goal. The first title to be marketed will be on the Game Boy Advance, the title is NARUTO NINJA COUNCIL. Following that a Gamecube title, CLASH OF NINJA will be sold. 2 undetermined NARUTO titles remain, one will go to each platform."

It pretty much confirms this since it says Tomy Ltd. said with Wednesday in Tokyo. You can't really lie about that. Wink

So anyway, Viz Media gave them the license to 4 Nintendo-based Naruto games in America, so this either means that's all they'll be releasing on current systems, or they are just waiting to see if these first 4 games are successful before they release others. I think they should release all of the current-gen Naruto games even when the next-gen systems are out, simply because the DS, the Revolution, and the PS3 are all going to be backwards compatible with the GBA, the GCN, and the PS2, respectively.

Anyway, is that 2.3 million units in total? With all of the Nintendo-based Naruto games factored in, or just these 4? 1 million seems pretty ambitious for the first year in America, but I think they can do it. The popularity of the series here is already escalating very high and very fast. So, the first one is on GBA: NARUTO NINJA COUNCIL. I'm guessing this is the first side-scroller, Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu (1), because the story of the game corresponds with the part of the story the anime will be at in America at that time. Also, "Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu" roughly means "Strongest Ninja Great Regiment". I think that's pretty close. And the GCN game right after that is obviously Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen (1), since that's the only series on the GCN and since the story of the game corresponds with the story of the anime at the time the game will be released. The other two are Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 2 for GCN, obviously, and I'm guessing the Naruto one will be Naruto: Konoha Senki, since Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 2 and Naruto RPG: Uketsugareshi Hi no Ishi are a little too advanced in the story to be released next year, but I could be wrong about the GBA game...It could just as well end up being one of the other two.

Oh, and this is also pretty sweet since this will finally bring Tomy to America as a full scale publisher. They've always licensed their games to other American publishers before, like Atari, who then proceeded to hack up their games extremely badly, like the Zoids GCN and GBA games. At least we know we'll be getting accurate to the Japanese versions of these games from Tomy, except for the obvious English translation and English voices in the GCN games. This is very exciting, and I ask you to support Tomy in America by buying these games so they can continue to release their Japanese games in America!

I'm very excited and happy about this now.

Thank you, Tomy, and thank you, Viz Media for releasing Nintendo-based Naruto games in North and South America.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

And therein lies the problem. I'm a Narutard. I'm also an Xbox fanboy. Why must the Xbox always get the short end of the stick? Crying or Very sad

Because the X-Box positioned itself as the "extreme" system, meant only for serious, grown up games. No cell shading on there. It's all sports, and racing, and other things that respectable rappers can play.

Plus, Naruto is an anime, and comes from Japan, where the X-Box was CRUSHED by the other systems, not even close, so no Japanese developer would make a Japan-exclusive game from the X-Box, not unless Microsoft paid for the whole thing. Who knows though, someone might make something Narutobased for the X-Box if it takes off over here, but I bet you it would be bad, like Budokai bad.
Cowkiller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote
It really doesn’t matter whether they release an English version or not. It’s definitely better if it’s in Japanese. I don’t want them translating the Jutsus and stuff. I’m also glad that Naruto Narutimate Hero 3 will be on PS2 not PS3. I think that NNH 3 will be the best fighting game ever, with new characters, tweaked Jutsus and the so-called “Ultimate Jutsu” making the game even more fun to play. All the characters are returning, with about a dozen new ones, like the Sound 5 and that Mizuki guy. I even heard there’s an Itachi ANBU character. Not only that but old characters will be greatly enhanced, like the “Face” Gaara and Rock lee’s drunken mode. Special Note: No one can beat me in NNH2. Very Happy
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:44 am Reply with quote
Let's hope they don't edit the hilarious Sexy no Jutsu out to get an E rating. (Is that a move you can do in the games?)
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
ferrarimanf355 wrote:
Well, the XBox isn't popular in Japan. Why makes games for a system that isn't popular for the country it aimmed at? That's why most of the games for the XBox aimmed at American gamers.

True, the Xbox is a lost cause in Japan, but the Xbox 360 is primed for success over there. When you combine Hironobu Sakaguchi and Tetsuya Mizugichi developing Xbox 360 games, Capcom committing the next Resident Evil game to the 360 (as well as that other system), practically every third-party developer committed to making Xbox 360 games, and the fact that it appears that the other system might be too costly and complex to develop for (Source), the Xbox 360 seems destined to do well in Japan. I expect it do do well enough to warrant a few Naruto games... with Live multiplayer, hopefully... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Cowkiller wrote:
It really doesn’t matter whether they release an English version or not. It’s definitely better if it’s in Japanese. I don’t want them translating the Jutsus and stuff. I’m also glad that Naruto Narutimate Hero 3 will be on PS2 not PS3. I think that NNH 3 will be the best fighting game ever, with new characters, tweaked Jutsus and the so-called “Ultimate Jutsu” making the game even more fun to play. All the characters are returning, with about a dozen new ones, like the Sound 5 and that Mizuki guy. I even heard there’s an Itachi [this is a digisubbing group name] character. Not only that but old characters will be greatly enhanced, like the “Face” Gaara and Rock lee’s drunken mode. Special Note: No one can beat me in NNH2. Very Happy

You need to not talk. "It really doesn’t matter whether they release an English version or not. It’s definitely better if it’s in Japanese. I don’t want them translating the Jutsus and stuff." What is wrong with you? If you don't want to play the games in English, then don't buy them in English. The rest of us and many others are very excited that these games are being released in North and South America and we will be buying them. If they were not going to be released here, we would probably never have bought them. We want these games translated so we can buy them, play them, and enjoy them, too. To us, it doesn't matter if you think the games are better in Japanese, since most of us do not know and cannot read Japanese. And how do you know these games are "definitely better...in Japanese"? That's nonsense. We know nothing of the North and South American versions of these games yet, and, most likely, they will be translated faithfully to the Japanese versions and they will be as good as the Japanese versions. I doubt anything will be edited or cut out of the games.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It really doesn’t matter whether they release an English version or not. It’s definitely better if it’s in Japanese.

Well, I partially agree with you there, I own 2 and 3 and plan on buying 4 in December, instead of waiting the two or three years before it's likely to come out over here, so I don't plan on buying the US releases myself, but I do think it's nice that they'll be available for people that don't want to deal with the hassle and cost of importing, or don't even know importing is posible.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
ferrarimanf355 wrote:
True, the Xbox is a lost cause in Japan, but the Xbox 360 is primed for success over there. When you combine Hironobu Sakaguchi and Tetsuya Mizugichi developing Xbox 360 games, Capcom committing the next Resident Evil game to the 360 (as well as that other system), practically every third-party developer committed to making Xbox 360 games, and the fact that it appears that the other system might be too costly and complex to develop for (Source), the Xbox 360 seems destined to do well in Japan. I expect it do do well enough to warrant a few Naruto games... with Live multiplayer, hopefully... Cool
MS known after a poor first year of sells in Japan, that XBox was a flop over there, mostly due it blucky size and lack of developers for the system other. Well, it looks they learned lesson one of getting your system to win big over there, don't have an oversized system and get some support from companines over there. What makes me really mad/glad for Capcom is when they say they are only going to make a game for one system (VJ 1, 2, and RE4 for GC), a few months later they change their minds and pissing everyone that though it was only going to be on that system (VJ 1, 2, and RE4 for PS2). Well, since every next gen system will have online support of somekind, I'm sure everyone execpt me (and other DWay users).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
ferrari:
Quote:
True, the Xbox is a lost cause in Japan, but the Xbox 360 is primed for success over there. When you combine Hironobu Sakaguchi and Tetsuya Mizugichi developing Xbox 360 games, Capcom committing the next Resident Evil game to the 360 (as well as that other system),

Sakaguchi's credibility ended with the FF movie. He's hoping for another Chrono Trigger, but he'll be lucky if he gets another FF8 at this point. Mizuguchi's got mixed success. Capcom's just using RE to bail them out, since no one at the company seems to be developing Mega Man and SF sequels anymore.

Ataru:
Quote:
What makes me really mad/glad for Capcom is when they say they are only going to make a game for one system (VJ 1, 2, and RE4 for GC), a few months later they change their minds and pissing everyone that though it was only going to be on that system (VJ 1, 2, and RE4 for PS2).

I don't blame Capcom. Not enough people were buying their games on GC to justify making them exclusive.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't blame Capcom. Not enough people were buying their games on GC to justify making them exclusive.
Yeah, poor sales of the GC is based on number of things, a few that are stupid reasons, like being aim a kids, but much like the other fans when news broke about RE 4 is coming PS 2, I felt bad for Nintendo. A good game that was only on their system is now going multi. Sure, for people that already have a PS 2 and not the GC, they can enjoy RE 4, but for fans that still belive that Nintendo is the best company out there, that has got to hurt. The only decent games I have see for the GC are mostly first and second party and IMO, that's pretty bad.

Kind of a that note, I don't see Naruto coming to the GC is going to sell more systems. Well, not enough to pull it out of it's slump. The Revolution is on it's way, so by the time the game ships out, the system will be already out or on it's way.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Yeah, poor sales of the GC is based on number of things, a few that are stupid reasons, like being aim a kids, but much like the other fans when news broke about RE 4 is coming PS 2, I felt bad for Nintendo. A good game that was only on their system is now going multi. Sure, for people that already have a PS 2 and not the GC, they can enjoy RE 4, but for fans that still belive that Nintendo is the best company out there, that has got to hurt. The only decent games I have see for the GC are mostly first and second party and IMO, that's pretty bad.

Kind of a that note, I don't see Naruto coming to the GC is going to sell more systems. Well, not enough to pull it out of it's slump. The Revolution is on it's way, so by the time the game ships out, the system will be already out or on it's way.

Which is fine since the Revolution is backwards-compatible with the GameCube.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Hey, good news, 4 is apparently coming out a month early, at the end of November instead od December.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4