• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Clash of the Supernerds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isambard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
phifedawg wrote:
You refer to Game of Thrones as "soapy trash" on a ****ing ANIME podcast? Really? And then proceed to spend half an hour discussing Dragonball, One Piece and Attack on Titan?

It totally is, though! I love the show but good god it's trashy.

I can love something and also acknowledge that it's super trashy fun.

I take it you've never watched True Blood.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Isambard wrote:

I take it you've never watched True Blood.

Yeah, of course I have.

True Blood is dramatically trashier but that doesn't mean GOT isn't trashy.
Isambard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Yeah, of course I have.

True Blood is dramatically trashier but that doesn't mean GOT isn't trashy.

Maybe its a consequence of the fact that True Blood is my standard for "soapy garbage" (although that didn't prevent me from dropping the far more innocent Downton Abbey after two episodes), but, even in the first season, where the trashier elements were most pronounced, I felt that the stronger qualities of GOT overshadowed the lesser ones and made them, if not always appropriate, then at least far more tolerable than they would have been otherwise.
arromdee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
If anything Tezuka is guaranteed to go so high, why is animesols doing so badly? Is there that much of a difference between anime and manga?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
arromdee wrote:
If anything Tezuka is guaranteed to go so high, why is animesols doing so badly? Is there that much of a difference between anime and manga?

Maybe there's just not enough people that know about it yet? I only know about it because of an ad that was around here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Relenus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Zac, for what it's worth, you're not the only one who disliked Man of Steel. While I haven't seen it yet, everyone I know who has has been lukewarm across the board.

Also, Mark Waid (a respected comic book writer for those of you who don't know) said he was very disappointed in the movie as well, and he's arguably the biggest Superman fan on the face of the earth.

Here's his review if you're interested: http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel-since-you-asked/
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Being a fan doesn't grant one authority over a franchise. That's not to say I don't sympathize when messes with my 'sacred cow'. It's relative, a departure for one is an arrival for another. I was a Judge Dredd fan for the tone that the second movie went for and Stallone gave us something else. They both have stepped past what I think most fans could agree are the villains that really pop from the series(ie. the Death Judges). Both used the theme/sub theme of corruption within the (police/judge)force. Why?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Relenus wrote:
Also, Mark Waid (a respected comic book writer for those of you who don't know) said he was very disappointed in the movie as well, and he's arguably the biggest Superman fan on the face of the earth.

Here's his review if you're interested: http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel-since-you-asked/

Psh, Mark Waid. He took twelve issues to tell his Superman origin story and it took four of them to even get to the actual first appearance of Superman. He wasted the entire first issue with Clark helping some African village. He also brought back "Clark Kent grew up with Lex Luthor/Lex lost his hair in lab accident" and "Clark Kent is an act". Screw that guy (though Kingdom Come was pretty awesome).

John Byrne had Supes by the last page of Man of Steel issue #1 in the 80s. And Geoff Johns had him in #3 of Secret Origin and he had the outfit before then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Really, I can't be all that sad that Flowers of Evil has, by all accounts, burned out trying to do, well, whatever the hell it was trying to do (not be a huge waste of time to the majority of audience was certainly not it) and will probably not get a second season.

Such a complete waste of a totaly fine little manga, sacrificed on an altar of pretentious art snobbery that refused to admit that it was wrong and just refused to bloody well move.

Dragonball Z arcs have resolved in the time it's taken anything to happen in Flowers.

arromdee wrote:

Region Lock, that's why I can't give it any money and I'd be funding the ever living daylights out of some of the stuff on there,
And no, I'm not going to do it through a proxy, that suggestion can french-seal right off.
Key Lime Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Flowers of Evil is unique, but it isn't nearly as close to being my cup of tea. I understand it gets its due for the whole rotoscope but other than that, it seems rather ordinary to me.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Hearing the part about the Man of Steel flick being terrible because the audience alone can't quite see the big picture reminded me of what one wise gent said about the whole matter that still rings true today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP7MovNH3DA

Spoken like a true man really.
insert name here

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
Hearing the part about the Man of Steel flick being terrible because the audience alone can't quite see the big picture reminded me of what one wise gent said about the whole matter that still rings true today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP7MovNH3DA

Spoken like a true man really.

It would be easier to take Crumb seriously about people being walking advertisements if his outfit didn't basically constitute a walking ad for his own comic books. His willfully anachronistic getup sends its own message and goes straight in line with the aesthetic in his work, which also serves as the base of his living. My point is that there is no subtraction from the sphere of representation and commodification and that post-modernism sucks ass.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
insert name here wrote:
My point is that there is no subtraction from the sphere of representation and commodification and that post-modernism sucks ass.

I don't like post-modernism either.
GarnetStyle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
On the whole aspect of American nerd culture I never really saw the appeal myself. Not like the shows themselves per say but how little there actually is Confused Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are apparently the in thing but those came out like 2 years ago and are still the only real "geek" shows people talk in America Is that it? Maybe I'm just used to anime but it seems weird people obsess over 1 or 2 shows for like 5 years when I can watch like 30 anime a season four times a year. I don't think I could find much to talk about Game of Thrones for 5 years with nothing else on. Is it more of a casual kind of geek where normal people say it's geeky and think they're geeks for liking it like superhero movies despite the fact they'll never be caught dead reading actual comic books or sacrifice their Friday night to marathon it? I guess if you're not heavily into the medium it's okay, but it seems weird to me. If you don't like that 1 or 2 shows to begin with then you're kind of screwed unless you force yourself to like it, which seems dumb to watch something you hate just to be relevant and accepted. Maybe anime has just spoiled me with how much it offers so I don't feel the need to force myself to do anything since you can not watch half the stuff coming out and still get a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3