• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Oxford English Dictionary Adds the Word 'Hentai'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But it makes me wonder, does anyone besides anime/manga fans know what said word means? Imagine if some parent bought their kid that dictionary (for school purposes initially) and the kid found that word and researched it online. Honestly, that could either be really awkward or really hilarious, or maybe both.

Either way though, I haven't bought a dictionary since 2007, but this is some pretty interesting news though.
There has been the usual suspects of volgarities in both dictionary's for decades now, most of which my two became aware of in the school and park playgrounds long before they were aware of a dictionary. I doubt this one will be any more or less controvercial, and besides that's where good parenting steps in. Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Imagine if some parent bought their kid that dictionary (for school purposes initially) and the kid found that word and researched it online.

The full OED bears a price tag within the region of $1000. It remains to be seen whether the next amendment of the concise release — a text perhaps better suited to a schoolchild's needs — will include the term in question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
So when is Oxford going to get around to adding "santorum"?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But seriously Oxford, why didn't you add it years ago? I mean I know it's not a English orientated word, but then again neither is amigo.

Because the Oxford English Dictionary only releases a new edition every ten years, so the previous opportunity would have been 2000. And they don't make the decision just in that year, which means the contents of the 2000 edition of the OED was compiled over the period of 1990-2000, at which point the word "hentai" was not common enough to warrant entry.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But it makes me wonder, does anyone besides anime/manga fans know what said word means? Imagine if some parent bought their kid that dictionary (for school purposes initially) and the kid found that word and researched it online. Honestly, that could either be really awkward or really hilarious, or maybe both.

I recall hearing a story from a woman who was playing a game of Balderdash, but using a dictionary instead of the commercial version of the game, with her children. One of kids, opening randomly, started to stumble over pronouncing "cunnilingus" before she recognized the word and interrupted the game. There are already plenty of dirty words in the dictionary, so what's one more?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
School kids are supposed to look up rude words in the dictionary aren't they? That sort of thing should be the least of anyone's worries now the internet is so readily available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:
Below is the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) definition from http://www.oed.com/ (subscribers only) which mimics the print versions of OED when published.
ANN used the definition modified for ODO (Oxford Dictionary Online).

Haha! Cream Lemon!

Before hentai became hentai, fans were using "lemon" as the word. Laughing

Shiroi Hane wrote:
School kids are supposed to look up rude words in the dictionary aren't they?

Heck, that's the first thing we look up when we're learning a new language! Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Never thought I would live to see the day that I would see the word "hentai" in a English language dictionary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3