• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Valvrave the Liberator episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Sorrior wrote:
Think about how many series have these fun comedic starts...But then go batshit crazy with ALOT of potential drama and issues later on.

This is very, very common in Anime. Heck, even plenty of fluffy Harem Anime get dark towards the end of their seasons.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well v1cious and Fencedude5609, I hope you're happy now. Especially you v1cious; deliberately spoiling things because "people might want to know" is pretty low, especially for a series that thrives on plot twists.

Not entirely sure where you're getting that. Not only did I spoiler tag the post I made, I reported the other guy who didn't do so.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
^
You only tagged the post after I told you to. No point in reporting the other guy if you are going to leave the spoiler untagged when you quote him. Either tag the spoiler when you quote his post or just don't directly quote it at all.

And I remember that it was you who said something along the lines that people might want to know about the incident so there was no harm in not tagging it. That post of yours was one of the cluster that got deleted by Key way back on page two or whenever.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little irritated at the assertion that my problems with VVV are due to ~not understanding~ what the show is trying to be.

Sorry. This is the show who's first episode could be summed up as "THE SURPRISE IS VAMPRAVES!" and gave us EEEERRRRUUUUUEEEEEELLLLLUUUUUFFFFFFFUUUUU

Not to mention that the goodwill it gained due to its subversion of the "Dead girl as motivation" trope with Shouko in the first two episodes was undone and then some by spoiler[the blatant, unforgiveable fridging of Aina later on, solely so Kyuuma would have motivation.]

That last bit nearly caused me to drop the show, the spoiler[rape] was just the last straw.

I've seen a lot of anime, VVV is not so amazing and unique that I'll lose out from not watching any more.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Not to mention that the goodwill it gained due to its subversion of the "Dead girl as motivation" trope with Shouko in the first two episodes was undone and then some by spoiler[the blatant, unforgiveable fridging of Aina later on, solely so Kyuuma would have motivation.]

That last bit nearly caused me to drop the show...

Really? That's yet another area where I couldn't possibly agree with you. Nothing in the series had told me such typical storytelling devices were going to be permanently off limits. Just that the creators were willing to play around with some of them for certain twists, but the show has also followed a fairly straightforward structural pattern in other respects.

Therefore, it was interesting to see the series surprise the audience by subverting that type of motivation at the beginning, perhaps granting a degree of plot immunity to Shoko as a result, but I did not extend that protection to every single character in the cast. The show is ridiculous and amusing, but at no time have I ever believed that the named character body count would be zero. Even the basic premise alone (Gundam meets Vampires) goes against that sort of naive expectation. I couldn't even try to consider it "unforgivable" in all honesty.

The fact they later chose to play things straight with a different character, for the sake of yet another person and not the protagonist, doesn't strike me as "undoing" anything. Even better shows tend to combine instances of subversion with following the established norm.

Quote:

I've seen a lot of anime, VVV is not so amazing and unique that I'll lose out from not watching any more.

Oh, definitely. But who says people only want to watch amazing and unique things? Laughing

Last edited by nightjuan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

Really? That's yet another area where I couldn't possibly agree with you. Nothing in the series had told me such typical storytelling devices were going to be permanently off limits. Just that the creators were willing to play around with some of them for certain twists, but the show has also followed a fairly straightforward structural pattern in other respects.

What, are you seriously trying to say that this is a good thing? And that the blatant spoiler[fridging of Aina] wasn't an example of incredibly lazy and hackish writing? Seriously?

Do you even understand why that plot-point is problematic and emblematic of the entire show's problem with female characters?

Seriously?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
What, are you seriously trying to say that this is a good thing? And that the blatant spoiler[fridging of Aina] wasn't an example of incredibly lazy and hackish writing? Seriously?

No, I'm trying to say that it's not surprising nor unexpected at all.

Not in a show about giant robots and not in a show about vampires either. It's typical genre stuff.

Why are you seemingly demanding progressive and sophisticated writing in this kind of series to begin with?

Quote:

Do you even understand why that plot-point is problematic...?

I understand why that plot point can be considered problematic, but again...why are you surprised?

This isn't exactly some sort of outrageous exception within the mecha genre.

We could easily use this to start a debate on the mistreatment or problematic portrayals of female characters in Gundam and many other anime series. Would it be better to completely avoid such things? Yes, and those titles that do better deserve to be praised. I have seen Moribito and Simoun for instance, both of which have much more positive portrayals of female characters, to say nothing of the fact that Utena is one of my favorite series of all time.

But I'm not going to turn off my PC or TV every single time this high standard isn't met. That's where I can't agree with you.

Quote:
...and emblematic of the entire show's problem with female characters?

In addition to the above...I might agree on some of the generalities, but probably not the specifics.

Last edited by nightjuan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
No, I'm trying to say that it's not surprising nor unexpected at all.

When it went out of its way to subvert that trope, yes I was somewhat surprised, and disappointed.

Quote:
Not in a show about giant robots and not in a show about vampires either.

Not a defense?

Quote:
Why are you seemingly demanding progressive and sophisticated writing in this kind of series to begin with?

Because I like shows to reach a certain minimum standard of not being completely gross.

Quote:
We could easily use this to start a debate on the mistreatment or problematic portrayals of female characters in Gundam and many other anime series.

Would you like me to discuss how Gundam AGE was one of the single most misogynistic anime in recent memory? Because I can.

Quote:
Would it be better to completely avoid such things? Yes, and those titles that do better deserve to be praised. I have seen Moribito and Simoun for instance, both of which have much more positive portrayals of female characters, to say nothing of the fact that Utena is one of my favorite series of all time.

Ok, good for you. I like all of those (well I found Moribito dull, but yeah) too. That also has nothing to do with me finding VVV gross.

Quote:
But I'm not going to turn off my PC or TV every single time this high standard isn't met. That's where I can't agree with you.

Yet you can't seem to understand that for some of us there is a certain minimum standard that VVV completely fails to meet. I'm not obligated to continue watching a show I find abhorrent.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

When it went out of its way to subvert that trope, yes I was somewhat surprised, and disappointed.

I'd be surprised and more than a little annoyed if it had happened to the same character again, because that would literally undo the initial subversion, but I did not assume nobody else in the cast was ever going to suffer such a fate under different circumstances, regardless of gender.

Sooner or later, people were going to die and motivate others. Hell, even "Thunder" is ostensibly motivated by the death of his non-character male friend early in the show.

Quote:

Not a defense?

No, just another observation.

Quote:

Because I like shows to reach a certain minimum standard of not being completely gross.

Well, it's an obvious fact that classifying anything as "gross" is always a purely subjective matter. But if I might say anything at all...your "minimum standard" seems too strict. Not only many other dumb shows but also series that are much better than Valvrave in various categories would instantly fail your test as a result.

Quote:

Would you like me to discuss how Gundam AGE was one of the single most misogynistic anime in recent memory? Because I can.

No, thank you. I'm well aware of that. But like I was saying, I believe that even those Gundam shows which do a better job than AGE might still fall below your "minimum standard" if simply killing a (female) character in order to motivate someone else is enough to trigger an intense "must-consider-drop" red flag.

And that's fine, I guess. Just not how I approach fictional entertainment.

Quote:

Ok, good for you. I like all of those (well I found Moribito dull, but yeah) too. That also has nothing to do with me finding VVV gross.

Of course. Just making my frame of reference for positive portrayals of female characters clear.

Quote:

Yet you can't seem to understand that for some of us there is a certain minimum standard that VVV completely fails to meet. I'm not obligated to continue watching a show I find abhorrent.

Actually, I believe that even those who don't like the show don't necessarily share all of your minimum standards, since such things are rarely universal.

With respect to this specific issue, I've only been talking to you. Concerning the other matters that were previously discussed with multiple individuals, I believe I've already made my position clear. I understand, but that doesn't mean I have to agree. I simply provide a counter-argument and another alternative which the posters are free to accept or dismiss.

And of course, I've never pretended that you are under the obligation to do anything.
Mattymattski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
spoiler[ am i alone in thinking that since Haruto isn't an enlisted soldier, all the murder he's committed since ep1 kind of outweighs the 1 count of rape he may or may not be found guilty of? Or am i just mixing up reality and CARTOONS again?]
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
I just want to know what the deal is with the pink explosions.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Sooner or later, people were going to die and motivate others. Hell, even "Thunder" is ostensibly motivated by the death of his non-character male friend early in the show.

Exactly. People tend to focus on Aina, but a lot of other people have died as well. Remember seeing all the graves? It's not as if this show suddenly decided to get dark just for a laugh.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:04 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:

Blame (modern) Sunrise. No, really.

They show up in lots of other (relatively) recent stuff.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
shamisen the great wrote:

Blame (modern) Sunrise. No, really.

They show up in lots of other (relatively) recent stuff.

Dude Sunrise has been doing pink explosions going all the way back to First Gundam

ITS BEEN THIRTY FOUR YEARS. YOU CAN SHUT UP ABOUT THE PINK EXPLOSIONS
_Archer_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:17 am Reply with quote
spoiler[ I was kinda upset with how the rape scene ended up getting played out. When it happened, it opened up so many interesting possibilities, and so far all it's done is possibly show how messed up Saki and the Valrave Avatar thing are. Hopefully it gets more interesting in the next couple of episodes.]

Ah well, Valrave is still just dumb fun as always for the most part and I can't ever say it's not entertaining. The story is really bad, but this show is just so much fun to watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11