• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Blue Sonnet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blacotaku1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
slight error in the post. Blue Sonnet's release date is 7/16/89 to 3/25/90. Just the OCD in me. Sorry.

http://oldtypenewtype.tumblr.com/image/53958389820
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I was curious so I dug out my old vhs to dvd rip I made years ago and rewatched it-it was as full of clinches then as it is now-but still a good watch. I was surprised how much of the story I'd forgotten.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
This OAV does not belong in the Pile of Shame. It was great. When I first saw it I was completely moved and amazed. One of the great classics of the era in my opinion. Still stands with a Masterpiece rating from me on ANN (actually I'm currently the lone ANN user who has given it that rating).

I think I liked it so much because it stood so well as an action, sci-fi drama that had much more seriousness and grittiness to it than typical sci-fi fare of the time like Dirty Pair and Macross.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
Pile of Shame doesn't mean it's a bad title. It's not referring to the titles as shameful, but the shame Justin feels for not having tried them out earlier. It's a reference to a backlog you haven't been able to clear, I've got a big one of anime films growing myself.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:08 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It has females, Justin, that makes it ecchi moe uguu pandering.
This is 80's anime. Moe uguu was just a sweet smile on her mummy's face back then.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:23 am Reply with quote
Nth generation tape trading (of raws!) and LDs! Now THIS is what I call an old-school anime discussion! Very Happy

I know this will not happen in a million years, but if Toei and some of the other companies were to put out DVD box sets with year-by-year compilations of weird, forgotten little OVAs from the 80's and 90's, I would be so all over that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Glory Questor wrote:
BTW, Justin, if this is something that you (and obviously many others) seem to want rescued and released on DVD, then why is it part of the "Pile of Shame"? Shouldn't this be classified as a "Buried Treasure"? j/c Rolling Eyes

"Pile of shame" means the stuff you've bought/collected and haven't watched/finished yet. In my case that would be most of my recent DVD purchases (currently watching Blu-rays first).
Shouldn't do this. What if the disc is damaged, or the data is corrupted? One only gets a short amount of time to exchange, or refund a damaged item like digital media.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
So seeing as how Peter Marinker is in this, I wonder how this stacks up compared to his other dub performances. If it is as terrible as Justin says, I'm guessing it's not a Goto-calibur performance.

Also, were there any other noticeable recurring Manga UK actors besides Marinker and Toni Berry? Was this also another Michael Bakewell production?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
"Pile of shame" means the stuff you've bought/collected and haven't watched/finished yet. In my case that would be most of my recent DVD purchases (currently watching Blu-rays first).
Shouldn't do this. What if the disc is damaged, or the data is corrupted? One only gets a short amount of time to exchange, or refund a damaged item like digital media.

I guess I've been lucky so far. Doing international return/exchange (since I import U.S. anime releases) is something I've never tried. Never had a reason to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3