• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-10-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyouha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I appreciate your way of stating that you've decided not to read that aspect of ANN in the future. Hopefully most of the thigns we do will continue to please you.

Thank you for your response [boy that was fast!] and don't worry, I love ANN - it's my homepage. I just wanted to add some thanks for your consideration towards your more... sensitive readers? I guess that's what I am. *g*
pythos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Karala wrote:
I've never seen it as a "real" crime before, while it is against the law, until there are things set in place to stop such actions, or the anime companies say "stop doing that!", I'll continue to download anime.

The companies have said to stop it. They ask that BT's for licensed anime be taken down. At least one Japanese company has done this for all of their titles,licensed or not.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
belisarius wrote:

"(and then being fansubtitled by 13-year olds who think adding a bunch of unecessary swear words is totally awesome)"

*snip*
And even if he's not being literal, he is certainly implying that the level of competency demonstrated by fansubbers is of a teenage level. How else can this comment be read?

Well, that does sound like a certain parody fansub where their idea of comedy was to insert swearwords at the end of sentences. Fantastic. *yawn*
Chun-Li

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
...hmm...how should i start...

well..first of all, i really don't like people using the terms "real anime fan"....or people who call themselves that...if you are a big fan of anime..it will show..there's no need to emphasize the definition of why you are a real anime fan...

honestly, i have way too many Domestic Anime dvds to even start counting....of course i also collect imported Japanese releases as well and those cost 3 times more, which i put separately..my point is..all of them are ALL sealed...in other words i don't watch them..none are open..except a few that i lend out or have it shown in anime classes...all the anime i collect are onlee the titles that i have already seen...

I prefer subs or just raw Japanese dialogue...i think that if the English Dubbing fans watch enough of anime in subtitles... perhaps they would get used to it and mebbe down the line..will learn to appreciate its qualities and actually prefer it...

Japanese Seiyuus should never be compared to American voice actors and actresses. Japanese Seiyuus are professionals ...they had to go to Voice Acting school, work tremendously hard and take their career very seriously...and if you ask any American Voice Actor or Actress, they would admit it themselves that they are no match...

As for the fansubbers, they have my utmost respect. Fansubbers do not get paid to do what they are doing, yet they do it because they are FANS...and FANS are why Anime even exist here. Fansubbers don't expect anything in return...and i admit there are groups that just don't care about quality, etc...i say this because i'm as picky when it comes to choosing a fansub group as i am about the anime i watch. And the groups that i do support gets better and better as time goes by...and i don't think that fansubbers are what is hurting the Domestic DVD sales. i think its the other way around...as soon as any company hears about a new anime title..they claim it as soon as possible..and it really bothers some people who wanna see an anime series to the end...but if they want to honor that "buy it when it's licensed"..they would have to wait...

and i prefer these "use [of] gaudy fonts"...i'm very picky about what i watch because whatever it is..it better be appealing to my eyes to be worth it..and it looks a whole lot better than the ordinary 'times new roman or arial'..and really i think that most fansubbers do a Very Excellent job...fansubbers spend a Huge amount of time on what they do best...fansubbing...i wonder if the translator for the Domestic Dvd versions even watch Anime... O_O...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Boy oh boy, can't believe anyone who didn't "read between the lines" didn't get it. Chances are folks read it too quickly and then rushed to debate. Or not.

Well, I read it. I have to agree with some of what 'Answerman' is talking about. For those fans that have such a poor excuse for why anime should be free.

Well, guess what? It isn't free whether you watch it raw, fansubbed, subtitled or dubbed. Just like any show on TV someone has to put the hard-earned cash down to produce the show, and whether it makes it to home video someone still has to put down cash just to market it. I guess because it's airing for free must make it free. Gee, maybe I should walk into a store and demand that my groceries be given to me for free. Or steal them. That saves me some money. Maybe farmers should just give their "living" away for free, by handing out free produce. After all the land is open so anyone should be able to pick a bunch. Or maybe people painting masterpieces in the street should just giving them away free. It would be nice if things were free but guess what this is the real "capitalist" world. And no matter how you look at it someone has to get paid! Mad

Ok, it's understandable that yes we do live in a world and it's hard to purchase stuff. But it doesn't give anyone the right to just download fansubs for their own stupid self-righteous reasons. If at all.

I came from a era where there WAS no fansubs. No dubs, no subtitles, etc... People got their stuff by trading stuff with people who bought import stuff. Then you had bootlegging. Which unfortunately we still got it going on now. It apalls me even now when I see vendors on the street selling commercial stuff. Even anime. Same thing with the anime CDs. It's been an on going thing for as long as I can remember up until now. And the sad thing is that because you have such things as countries with poor economies you are going to see things like this. Everyone is out to make a buck. I remember a guy telling me that he lived anime and supported the Japanese artists. Yet he would go out and buy those $15 copies. Because he couldn't afford it the genuine ones. Meanwhile I'm spending the $40 for imports. I couldn't really afford it either. But I would rather spend the money to support an artist for their work.

But again these poor excuses like, "well I want my anime "unbutched" or "...that the fansub groups does a better job" is a poor excuse for wanting anime free. It makes calling someone a "purist" even worst. It's being snobbish. Hell, at one point in time no one could subtitle to save their lives. If you think you can do a better job then spend a decent amount of time studying Japanese until you reach "master level" and then try your metal with subtitling for a company and see if you don't get criticized by fans who think they know a thing or two. I hate arrogance too. Mad

I used to bash dubbed anime but I later realized something. There are folks out there that are interested in it. If counts for a large percentage of bringing in new anime fans. As for me, I don't care for dubbed anime. And it has nothing to do with me having a good or bad ear. And it has nothing to do with wanting to hear how much better the "seiyuu" is in her role. She's just doing her job. Hell, I've heard "seiyuu" that I didn't think fit the role. And I'm from the U.S. You think that Japanese don't have the same feelings about their entertainers? I didn't think so.

For me I just prefer subtitled anime over dubbed anime because I AM an A-ME-RI-CAN and I don't need to listen to a foreign film in English. And I don't care for VAs laboring over their lines trying to produce a decent dub. I've watched a lot of animation over the years as animation major. So I know what has to go into voice acting. I know it isn't an easy job. But dubbed anime doesn't sit well with me because I've been listening to Japanese since H.S. However, I do watch dubbed anime from time to time. So for me it's a matter of preference. Whether it's Greek, Korean, Chinese, Cantonese, Russian, Arab, French, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, German, etc... I don't want to hear it in English. Especially when English is already my first language.

But enough about my rant.

Now I do watch fansubs, I do download them but I NEVER keep them. There's so much stuff out there it's insane. And the chances of titles getting licensed are pretty high. Why should I keep a bunch of DVD-Rs of shows that are going to get licensed anyway? If I want to watch a fansub I'll sit in front of my computer until the show get licensed. When I want to sit in the comfort of my home I want to own the series. I want to pay for what I'm interested in. And I DO pay! I spent almost $700 on the 'Brigadoon' series. The import version because I didn't think it would come here. And guess what? It did. And at that time fansubs were up and coming but there was no digital fansubs via BT.

Remember when a show you liked came on and you recorded it because you never knew when it was going to come out again or get cancelled? Then they started putting stuff on commercial tape? And some were like "well why should spend money to buy something I own on tape?" I thought like that. But guess what tapes don't last. Now stuff is coming out on DVD and people are willing to put down their cash for it. Some are and some aren't. That's how it is.

I sort of look a fansubs as being something more one day. It's one way of watching a show that you would normally watch if you could pick it up by satellite or rent it at a Japanese video store. It's also a way for companies to tell what's popular. But it would be good see the 2 sources work together. In the meantime I wish there was a way to shut down those BT sites that are releasing stuff that was already released years ago.

As for the fans that think anime should be free. "Get a life! Get a clue! Get a sense of respect!" Rolling Eyes

*I think I went a little too far. Oh well.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Karala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
pythos wrote:
The companies have said to stop it. They ask that BT's for licensed anime be taken down. At least one Japanese company has done this for all of their titles,licensed or not.

I know they have, and I don't download anime from Media Factory. That doesn't mean this applies to the throng of other companies.
pythos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Karala wrote:
I know they have, and I don't download anime from Media Factory. That doesn't mean this applies to the throng of other companies.

Just to clarify...You want all the JAPANESE anime companies to ask?

[edit: fixed bold]
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Karala wrote:

pythos wrote:

Production I.G has also made similar requests, but not as forcefully as Media Factory.

-t
Karala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
pythos wrote:
Karala wrote:

[edit: fixed bold]

Well, if they have something against it, yes. One company does not speak for all of them. Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I've read this thread from front to here and not once did anyone ask the glaring obvious question.

Why was an anime made in the first place?

Answer: It's someones bread and butter. It's what they are hoping to pay the mortgage with. It's meat on table for those who have created it, written it, and legally distributed it in the hope of making the dosh to pay for all those things everyone needs to pay for to live a decent life. The people who make available fansubs to anyone that can download it are, like bootleggers, taking away these craftsmen's living. Literally taking food out of their mouths. It's no different than someone breaking and entering into your home and then leaving the doors open for anyone to loot whats left. If you don't understand this then you need to grow up a bit more and quit being so self centered and self justifying. You will if it happens to you when you're no longer a starving student who happens to like anime, but someone trying to make a living for yourself by your own wits and then find your brilliant idea has been "copied" by a group of geeks who thinks it's "kewl" to do so and give it free to anyone to prove it. Lets hear how self justified you are then. Zac hit the nail on the head. If that hurt your feelings, then guess who the nail was? Wink
masaki86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I've read this thread from front to here and not once did anyone ask the glaring obvious question.

Why was an anime made in the first place?

Answer: It's someones bread and butter. It's what they are hoping to pay the mortgage with. It's meat on table for those who have created it, written it, and legally distributed it in the hope of making the dosh to pay for all those things everyone needs to pay for to live a decent life. The people who make available fansubs to anyone that can download it are, like bootleggers, taking away these craftsmen's living. Literally taking food out of their mouths. It's no different than someone breaking and entering into your home and then leaving the doors open for anyone to loot whats left. If you don't understand this then you need to grow up a bit more and quit being so self centered and self justifying. You will if it happens to you when you're no longer a starving student who happens to like anime, but someone trying to make a living for yourself by your own wits and then find your brilliant idea has been "copied" by a group of geeks who thinks it's "kewl" to do so and give it free to anyone to prove it. Lets hear how self justified you are then. Zac hit the nail on the head. If that hurt your feelings, then guess who the nail was? Wink

agrees 100%. If you don't wanna pay for your anime, then you don't deserve to watch it and be entertained.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
After reading almost all the buzz up to this point (in both this and the follow-up), all I have to say is: THANK GOD FOR FANS WHO SUPPORT COMPANIES! It's your own thing if you go to conventions, have club disscussions, make yourself apart of the subculture; and NOT buy the DVDs. (rent-and-burn, "I pay for bandwith", Insert excuse here) It's your own way and no one's going to change that. But I have to hold fans who buy the DVDs in a higher regard personally, because without them there'd be no anime here (or at all if this ideal hits JP).

I like having new series and characters to watch. And IMHO, I dont want people cosplaying as Astro Boy or Amuro Ray for a half century.
Jonesly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
It always amuses me to see the many ways people can justify stealing a luxury item.

That's what anime is. You will not DIE if you don't get your fix.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:
ok last week you said naruto is being pronounced right in the cartoon network butcher version and you need to know that you are wrong, also what they did to naruto is a travesty and a crime, they made it into a show for kids, it is a show for adults. you should publisdh this letter and also correct your old answer, they do not pronounce naruto right.

I pray this person was just looking to get posted as the flake. Seriously, people can't be THAT stupid...right?
I don't know what's worse Zac, having an idiot like that email youin terrible grammar, or having someone tell you over the phone in intelligent speech something similar. I think the intelligent sounding Naurtards scare me more. *ignores most of this thread*
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Karala wrote:

pythos wrote:

Production I.G has also made similar requests, but not as forcefully as Media Factory.

-t

Pretty much every creator/production team when asked at conventions what they think about fansubs have said things like "We're honored you like our stuff" but follow it with "please buy our stuff too." Several have said outright that they don't like it as well.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9