• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best World-Building Tournament: Minigame.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
Oh, I think there's no question that Group D is the nastiest bracket to predict; I'm predicting right now that it will be the minigame breaker for a lot of people. I'm not too happy with some of the candidates getting paired up there, as I had to put some series I really liked against each other.

And the GitS setting is not the only one that I think is well undervalued because of how late it comes up. Macross Universe was an even trickier one because I'm certain it's quite a bit stronger than its meager late vote total indicates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:46 am Reply with quote
farichada wrote:
I have mixed feelings on trying to place the LoGH world; the complexity is off the charts and this fictional history is so deep and intertwined between the different groups it sometimes feels like History Channel in space. The series is always seems to be held in high regard, but obscure or not worthy enough to have ever won a group.

Yeah, I have a problem with this one too. It's definitely one of the top contenders, as it has 100+ episodes to develop its complex history and politics, but this show was hurt in the previous tournaments due to its obscurity. But then I cannot see any other setting in group D that can measure up to it. -_-

I slightly regret that I have never got round to watching Casshern Sins, now I don't know how strong its setting is, at least it's good that Pandora Hearts anime managed to cover the world-building part of the manga, so it will not lose points for unfinished world-building, despite the fact it is based on a longer and on-going manga.

So much difficult choices.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
How much time do we have to do the mini-game?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
We will definitely not be starting this coming Tuesday(the 24th), as I expect to have no free time between now and Monday night to set things up. I am going to try to be ready to go for 10/1, though that will depend on me getting an end-of-course project for one of my graduate courses done early.

So right now figure that you have until the end of the month to get those minigames in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Just a heads-up to everyone that the first round will definitely be starting at midnight EST on October 1st. That means that you have just a little over two days to get your minigame entries in if you haven't already. (Hopefully I won't actually be turning mine in at the last minute this time. . .)
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
thank you for the reminder, I should get started
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Just sent in my minigame. Man that was tough! Group D wasn't easy, but the one that was hardest for me was Group C. Probably because luck has it that I've seen nearly everything in D and not nearly as many in C. I don't have a lot of confidence in this minigame (mostly because I leaned a lot toward what I think should progress) but I'm excited to see how the chips fall.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I just finished and submitted my mini-game spreadsheet. Nothing like waiting until almost the last minute.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:

mostly because I leaned a lot toward what I think should progress

I considered that approach and I considered the popular route but I went with the same criteria I used to nominate: "Does it all fit together?" only now with something to compare it.

I thought it was a lot easier than blind nominating.
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Tris8 wrote:

mostly because I leaned a lot toward what I think should progress

I considered that approach and I considered the popular route but I went with the same criteria I used to nominate: "Does it all fit together?" only now with something to compare it.
Ya, there were a couple match-ups where a strong but lesser-known candidate was against a decent but highly popular candidate and I had a difficult time predicting those ones. For the most part I tried to do what you did and judge on the overall impression and internal consistency of the show. What Group was the easiest/hardest for you to predict?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
early in group C was difficult for me since I haven't seen several of those shows. Part of A was difficult was well since a lot were really good choices and it was hard to narrow them down
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Ok I just sent in mine. Yeah I have no idea what I am doing since I don't recognize most of the anime in the tournament lol.
farichada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Sent my in, and I already think I'm an idiot, but this is something you already know. Hoping for a Macross upset but at least I didn't make them win the group. Group C and D were probably the most difficult to predict. C was the only group were I could only narrow down a likely winner to 3 choices. I also decided not to hop on the GITS hype train though an upset there would not be too shocking.

Last edited by farichada on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
My bracket is a complete mess. I felt much more comfortable about the last tourmanent and I screwed up big time in the later rounds.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Just finished and sent my mini-game in. Oh my was that hard for me! Last 2 tourneys were easier in comparison, but this one...oh boy. Good job Key with the match-ups. I was consistently second guessing my choices. Group D is probably going to massacre me as there were several anime in there that I haven't seen, plus I couldn't help myself again and picked some shows for upsets out of personal taste. LOL, its going to be interesting. I may get slaughtered this time around. Laughing

Well, good luck to everyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 22