• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
As a New Zealander I must chime in on the whole accent thing lol
To me, the only authentic-sounding Aussie in episode 12 (I've not watched 13) is the homestay dad. The rest sounded like American speakers forcing an accent or just sounding like themselves (eg Lori).

Though I do appreciate that they got decent English speakers and obviously made an effort to research Aussie-speak... Razz
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Something else I forgot to mention, but did anyone else notice that spoiler[the last shot of Haru right about to jump into the water in the unnamed international stage is THE EXACT SAME as the opening shot for the original Commercial that came out before Free was even announced?]. Thought it was interesting
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
Jacquipuff wrote:
I'm pretty sure that when they were showing images of the crowds of spectators, we can see the Iwatobi boys' families, or at least Haru's (around 14:21 in Crunchyroll's stream). Obviously we already know Makoto's family, but sitting right next to them and talking to them are what I can only assume are Haru's parents. And my guess is that the man, woman, and girl in the upper left are Nagisa's parents and one of his sisters, and the blue-haired man and woman in the lower right are Rei's parents, but as I said that's just a guess. They just don't quite seem the same as the rest of the random background characters in the image.

Do you have a screenshot of this, maybe cropped to show only the figures you mean? I see only two general crowd shots, just after they enter through the blaze of white light. Everyone in both shots as far as I can see is cloned two or more times, with only hair or clothes colors changed (especially the boy with his arms raised - he's in 6 places in the first pan, and 1 in the second!). But if you're looking somewhere different, I'd love to see it. Smile
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:14 am Reply with quote
Here. I am in agreement with Jacquipuff.
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:23 am Reply with quote
What a lackluster ending! It tried to recapture the same feelings as the end of K-on but didn't even come close. And then it simply went with a montage to end it? Seriously? Did KyoAni even try?

I am so disappointed.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13 (final)

I was finding it a bit lacklustre, but they managed to pull off a pretty okay ending. I was thinking it was odd that Makoto was shown spoiler[with the dolphin when usually it was Haru's], kept thinking the spoiler[animal each was shown with was not quite right], and it took me to the spoiler[Haru with the butterflies] to understand it. The spoiler[animals were meant to show that the person before them was pulling them forward], well Haru is spoiler[last so his got to go first and he has a close relationship with Makoto]. They spoiler[won an alright but not incredibly high place, Nagisa and Rei got new members, Makoto started his study for what he wanted in Tokyo, along with Haru assumable in Tokyo too to be a professional athlete, Rin went back to Australia to be an athlete, and Haru and Rin meet together at some sort of international competition].

A good season to expand on parts of characters they did not in the first, to have them grow, and Rin be an actual enjoyable part instead of looking like he would force himself on Haru. Well, BL stuff was there, but that is totally part of the package. I know that this show works great for its target audience, that KyoAni know they can tap right into an audience they have accused of ignoring. Ultimately, I still consider it K-ON for girls, this makes it highly likable for a part of the audience, although out of that would rate it a little lower. My rating is above the first season as a Good, it is worth seeing. In my mind I am not even saying that it may be lesser to K-ON which I rated higher, but at the least it can only appeal to me so much, this show is not going to appeal to everyone.

CrowLia wrote:
Something else I forgot to mention, but did anyone else notice that spoiler[the last shot of Haru right about to jump into the water in the unnamed international stage is THE EXACT SAME as the opening shot for the original Commercial that came out before Free was even announced?]. Thought it was interesting

I knew that I was having some serious deja vu there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Here. I am in agreement with Jacquipuff.

I agree too, seeing that shot (thank you!). Finally found it - it's before they start down that corridor.

@CrowLia Oh yeah, I noticed. I've also been getting deja vu from the OP when Nagisa and Rin leave the locker room, as it looks like a reworking of some shots from the demo reel. Smile
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I noticed that too! Made me smile...then feel sad.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
probably shouldn't have been laughing in the middle of the final episode, but I did. Couldn't help it, twas funny.

anyways, I enjoyed it, and I'll likely be buying it when FUNi releases it
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Before I crush this show a little bit, I have to say that this is one of rare cases where main hero has mild form of autism, which is good, I really liked that.

But authors has tampered with this portrayal, made it less believable because whole drama of the second season was about spoiler[main hero being empty-headed/fish-minded and then at the very end being randomly inspired by an Australian swimming pool... ]

I am not buying it. He is too old to be undecided in the first place, let alone being inspired by such superficial stuff. Besides, did not he have a TV or Mac/iPhone/iPad with YouTube to see the damn spoiler[Australian swimming pool] earlier? Everyone can see its beauty and feel the atmosphere of a competition, even distantly.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

I am not buying it. He is too old to be undecided in the first place

really, a 17/18 year old kid who has no idea what he wants to do with his life is unbelievable?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Everyone can see its beauty and feel the atmosphere of a competition, even distantly.

Now I know you live in your mom's basement. Try getting out into the world a little bit and you'll find there's no substitute for actually experiencing things firsthand. They say a picture's worth a thousand words, but actually being there in the flesh is worth a million pictures.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

I am not buying it. He is too old to be undecided in the first place

really, a 17/18 year old kid who has no idea what he wants to do with his life is unbelievable?

Yes, unbelievable. Not with being that advanced and interested in the field he supposedly unsure about.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
Everyone can see its beauty and feel the atmosphere of a competition, even distantly.

Now I know you live in your mom's basement. Try getting out into the world a little bit and you'll find there's no substitute for actually experiencing things firsthand. They say a picture's worth a thousand words, but actually being there in the flesh is worth a million pictures.

What he has experienced in spoiler[Australia? An empty pool], just like many times before in many years prior to that "revelation"?

So spoiler[this pool was slightly better looking than Japanese pools] and that has turned things around?

Are you kidding me? (Not you, the authors, of course. Laughing )

spoiler[By the way, Japan has many great swimming pools, including those that hold highest class competitions, as well as have many absolute records set, as well as those that were part of World Aquatics Championship held in the country. ] So there was no issue with being inspired by such stuff locally.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
How is he supposed to get a sense of the ambience of international competition by looking at the pool at his high school? Because he never went to any of the available international competitions in his home country since he told himself he wasn't interested in competitive swimming. What he was interested in was staying comfortably in the cocoon of his hometown and his friends. I don't think he'd even been to Tokyo before.

Going to another country opened his eyes to possibilities he hadn't seen before or been willing to confront. Again, the latter feeling was expressed when he cut off Rin with a curt, "Yeah, you experienced things while I stayed home." While actually experiencing things, he realized he couldn't stay in his cocoon forever, and that that might not be a bad thing after all.

You're making it very obvious that you've never traveled or set foot outside your own cocoon, so I again urge you to step away from the computer and go experience the world with all your senses and not just the visual and auditory ones second-hand. You'll never understand the difference otherwise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 34