• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tomino Surprises Gundam Audience

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shale

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the headline, my first thought was that the entire cast of Destiny was going to survive the series.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Tomino has nothing to do with Destiny, its all Fukuda's evildoing.
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
[insert random fukada diss]

I imagined that Tomino suddenly started doing magic tricks.
Like pulling a Rick Dias out of a hat, or pulling Haro out of some random fans ear.
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
i wonder what he talked about....
whats tomino's view on zeta gundam anyways? his best work? contains his own ideals?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I think he hates it.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:14 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
I think he hates it.

Tomino complains about almost everything.

To be specific though, he didn't enjoy making it and never wanted to in the first place, since he didn't want to be trapped just making Gundam. In an interview a year or so ago he dropped a comment about how the theme and message he wanted to get across with Zeta was "watching anime makes you stupid". Cute.

He seems to have mellowed over it though, which would explain some of his changes to the Zeta movies (softening of Kamille, his changing of the end of the series, etc)
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:31 am Reply with quote
The one he absolutely hates is V Gundam. The DVD box for V Gundam even includes a little pamphlet of an interview with Tomino, in which he tells people explicitly to not buy the DVD. He said that he made V because he was very depressed and wanted to destroy Gundam.

His favorite is probably Turn A (for which he published an essay called 'The healing of Turn A') - which incidentally is one of my favorite Gundams Cool (young people nowadays need to learn to appreciate Turn A more...)

Although in an issue of NewType, he did say that Space Runaway Ideon is one of his favorite works (which is pretty ironic, considering this anime has the highest death toll out of any single anime...)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:47 am Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
In an interview a year or so ago he dropped a comment about how the theme and message he wanted to get across with Zeta was "watching anime makes you stupid".

If we're both thinking about the same interview, that's taking things way out of context. The closest I've heard Tomino say to "watching anime makes you stupid" was a cautionary warning to fans and other anime creators that focusing exclusively on anime will make you creatively stunted, and that you should branch out to other forms of TV, literature, film, etc. And I don't remember it being so much a remark about Zeta specifically as it was a remark made off-hand in an interview about Zeta as a bit of a tangent.

Anyway, the only Gundam series Tomino has expressed explicit hatred for is really Victory, because that was when he was beginning to get fed up with being pidgeon-holed as "the Gundam guy" and wanted to do other projects. Zeta he tends to flip-flop on last I checked, mostly wishing he could go back and make fixes to some of the parts where his depression contaminated his better judgment.

Of course, my personal theory is that Tomino's opinion of Zeta Gundam changes day by day depending on which sock he puts on first in the morning. Left he loves it, right he hates it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
La-Le-Lu-Le-Lo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
the only Gundam series Tomino has expressed explicit hatred for is really Victory,

Hmm.
According to this Encyclopedia entry, V was the first gundam series that the infamous Fukada worked on.
Very interesting Razz

I liked Victory though. But then, i am one of those guys that thinks of Tomino as the Gundam guy Razz
But that's partly because Space Runaway Ideon has'nt been released with english subs Razz

I think im gonna get some of the Aura Battler Dunbine discs. See if i can't shake the mobile suit from the man.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Of course, my personal theory is that Tomino's opinion of Zeta Gundam changes day by day depending on which sock he puts on first in the morning. Left he loves it, right he hates it. Laughing

It does seem that way. For somebody who works creatively, there are many times when even though a work that is well-recieved by others, that person may have regrets about it not turning out the way they wanted it to. Then later they may change their minds after thinking about it.

But I can actually picture Tomino waking up cursing Zeta Gundam, but then by the time he has breakfast, liking it again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wil2197

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

According to this Encyclopedia entry, V was the first gundam series that the infamous Fukada worked on.
Very interesting Razz

Well that explains why we saw flashbacks of Woowig getting destroyed about...A MILLION TIMES!

I still love the series though. Best Gundam Series. Tomino is at his best at his worst Very Happy
Trell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
So does anybody really have any good hard idea on how Tomino feels about Zeta?

ZZ for that matter.

Seems to me that the "anime makes you stupid" comments could really apply to Zeta.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1