• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon XY TV Anime to Debut on October 17 with Satoshi/Ash

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Poorly-made space-taker-upper, but I can't help but put him next to my Dent on my shelf. Pikachu keeps falling off, though... Blargh...

I just hope the series works a little harder on character development this time. DPPt was my favorite modern season because it stuck to its wits and stayed quite favorably on track with its writing. Best Wish! just ended up feeling so episodic that even its small hints to a continuity didn't really work out that well. That said, I enjoyed a lot of individual episodes when they were good. The beginning of Season 2 was great and the episodes that focused on Monozu and its evolutions were very touching to me. I still need to watch Episode N and Decolor, but I'm really excited to finally catch up and see the Jirachi episode, since Jirachi is my favorite Pokemon.

Needless to say, I'm excited for Pokemon XY's anime and though I don't mind Satoshi's aging or his "resets" (which seem more like half-resets than complete resets, since he doesn't go back to square one each time), all I ask is that they get someone who can write more engaging stuff and stick to the stuff without taking any of it back. I get disappointed whenever they pull GS Ball incidents on us. D:
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to seeing the anime of Pokemon XY. So many new Pokemon and new features to look forward to. Smile
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Best Wishes suffered because of production issues. The games did a sequel instead of a third version, so they had to accommodate for that (hense Iris instead of Touko and blazing through the Gyms in only a year), the games also did that whole 'soft-reset, no previous Pokemon until you beat it' thing which the anime followed suit for the most part by making non Isshu Pokemon rare in it until the Season 2. They tried to make Rocket-dan serious and threatening despite most people preferring them as lovable and goofy villains in the vein of the Doronbo Gang of Yatterman before the feedback forced them to return them to their goofy selves. Then Japan unfortunately had the Earthquake which affected some of the writing early on.

In general Black and White and Best Wishes were a new experiment that didn't do so well for them. Hopefully XY will lack all of those issues and it will return to the DP greatness, though I have to say the new Satoshi design looks a bit odd. He looks really thin and skinnier than usual. Maybe it's just the picture.
precita

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
kayori1928 wrote:
Bring Back Misty and Brock and then I might actually watch it.

Why on earth do people keep bringing up Misty? Surely after 10 years and 3 generations people can get it through their heads that she's never going to be brought back?

Misty was a very short-lived character in the anime, she was only around for 5 years out of the current 16 year run the anime has been on for. I think a lot of you just don't actually realize how minor Misty's character in the show actually was.

We'll be in Generation 10 in the year 2030 and people will still be saying, "When is Misty coming back?"

God, let that character die already.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Hopefully Team Rocket will be competent.

That got such a negative feedback in Japan they went back to being comic relief. Personally, I'm glad.

I would have to agree. Japanese Team Rocket has Azumanga Daioh-level comedy. Anyone who hasn't seen, say, an Advanced Generation or Diamond & Pearl episode that features them is SOOO missing out. The dub does not, like it does everything else, do adapting their comedy any justice whatsoever.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Best Wishes suffered because of production issues. The games did a sequel instead of a third version, so they had to accommodate for that (hense Iris instead of Touko and blazing through the Gyms in only a year), the games also did that whole 'soft-reset, no previous Pokemon until you beat it' thing which the anime followed suit for the most part by making non Isshu Pokemon rare in it until the Season 2. They tried to make Rocket-dan serious and threatening despite most people preferring them as lovable and goofy villains in the vein of the Doronbo Gang of Yatterman before the feedback forced them to return them to their goofy selves. Then Japan unfortunately had the Earthquake which affected some of the writing early on.

In general Black and White and Best Wishes were a new experiment that didn't do so well for them. Hopefully XY will lack all of those issues and it will return to the DP greatness, though I have to say the new Satoshi design looks a bit odd. He looks really thin and skinnier than usual. Maybe it's just the picture.

I know about the earthquake event, which erased Plasma-dan's intended debut, and that upsets me a bit, since I saw the preview that showed events from the episode and it looked like it was going to be the best yet... but I'm not quite sure how the other topics are involved. I thought the anime team is years ahead on that information about the games. Do you have sources to cite in this case? I mean, it does sound plausible in a way, but I can't help but think they would've planned ahead a long time ago.

I feel like it's the pose. He doesn't look "skinnier" so much as the outfit fits his actual figure, which makes him look slightly taller, if you ask me.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

All that walking has finally paid off.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I'm not quite sure how the other topics are involved. I thought the anime team is years ahead on that information about the games. Do you have sources to cite in this case? I mean, it does sound plausible in a way, but I can't help but think they would've planned ahead a long time ago.

That's what I mean. The anime adapts the games and in this case, for example, Black 2 and White 2 made it so the female companion had to be someone other than the main girl because the main girl of Black and White would change with White 2 and Black 2 so she'd be outdated.

There's an interview floating around with Matsuda saying he generally tells the anime team what characters and events to feature

Quote:
P.Com: It’s pretty well understood that designs in the video game lead the other aspects of Pokémon. Mr. Masuda, how often do you get consulted for upcoming animation and Pokémon TCG plans?

Masuda: There’s obviously talk between the different elements of Pocket Monsters. For example, when the new anime series and movies are being planned, I participate in the meetings and discuss what’s going to be featured.

I'm hoping XY go back to a third game so that means Serena can be featured as the main female traveling companion, otherwise if there's X2 and Y2 she wont be in those games so she has no purpose in the anime because she won't be relevant when advertising X2 and Y2 come out
kanechin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
precita wrote:
kayori1928 wrote:
Bring Back Misty and Brock and then I might actually watch it.

Why on earth do people keep bringing up Misty? Surely after 10 years and 3 generations people can get it through their heads that she's never going to be brought back?

Misty was a very short-lived character in the anime, she was only around for 5 years out of the current 16 year run the anime has been on for. I think a lot of you just don't actually realize how minor Misty's character in the show actually was.

We'll be in Generation 10 in the year 2030 and people will still be saying, "When is Misty coming back?"

God, let that character die already.

Fans have to deal with Ash as the main again, I see no issue requesting Misty to return. By your logic why are we still watching Ash instead of the male protagonist of B&W/2.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
They should've dumped Ash after Hoenn, now it's way too late for that - if a new protagonist's adventures don't get good enough ratings (and BW is doing worse lately), it might be easier for them to axe the show.

People want Misty back not because of their nostalgia, but because she was a well written character (unlike Ash), even if she was neglected for most of the Johto.

Ryu Shoji wrote:
Also, how come everyone jumps on Ash for being eternally 10 years old, yet no one bats an eyelid at The Simpsons, Shin Chan and about every other TV show featuring a child.

Because it's not the same. None of the show you mentioned have an ongoing story about progressing as a character and gaining experience. Until the start of BW everything seemed like Ash is now around 14-15, referencing his past experiences but powering himself down to gain more unique experience. Whatever female he grabbed on the way served as an audience proxy who need to be explained with basic mechanics, while Ash was the one learning basics about the new region. That was the status quo in both Hoenn and Sinnoh, and even if in Sinnoh Ash should've been portrayed as someone much more powerful (being a candidate to the Frontier Brain title), sharing screentime with Dawn made it seem more believeable. Hell, Ash even grown noticeably taller before meeting with Misty again in Hoenn, being as tall as her while starting noticeably shorter.

BW was just bullshit. Most of the time it seemed no past adventures happened, until Ash met with Dawn and Cynthia. Even his travelling companions seemed shocked because it didn't make any sense.

TitanXL wrote:
That got such a negative feedback in Japan they went back to being comic relief. Personally, I'm glad.

That was the only saving grace of early BW saga. Eh.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
They should've dumped Ash after Hoenn, now it's way too late for that - if a new protagonist's adventures don't get good enough ratings (and BW is doing worse lately), it might be easier for them to axe the show.

Well, I don't know about the West, but I know for sure that aside from quite a few older audience members who prove they watch the show with fanart on pixiv or their blogs in Japan... the actual ratings for the show come directly from the actual target audience: children. And the show really isn't doing that bad in Japan at all. I don't think the show will be axed over there. If it's axed in the West, then... well, there's not much we can do. The games may be more fit to cover international needs, but the anime is still mostly done for the Japanese audience and I don't see them changing any of that for the Western audience.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
What i meant is that the show doesn't appear in weekly TOP10 anymore for a while already... which will probably change once XY is out, but still.
precita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:

Fans have to deal with Ash as the main again, I see no issue requesting Misty to return. By your logic why are we still watching Ash instead of the male protagonist of B&W/2.

Most people want Ash gone too, but we understand why they keep using him as the main character gen after generation.

Misty on the other hand is completely irrelevant. She advertises nothing from the newest gens and she's a decade old character that largely became boring halfway into the Johto arc. On top of that, 10 years ago the majority of people watching the anime didn't particularly care Misty left, which is why the writers decided not to bring her back when she was replaced, unlike the Brock/Tracey switch.

Also nowadays entire generations of kids grew up watching the anime long after Misty was gone. Kids watching the show today don't even know who Misty is.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
precita wrote:
kanechin wrote:

Most people want Ash gone too, but we understand why they keep using him as the main character gen after generation.

Misty on the other hand is completely irrelevant. She advertises nothing from the newest gens and she's a decade old character that largely became boring halfway into the Johto arc. On top of that, 10 years ago the majority of people watching the anime didn't particularly care Misty left, which is why the writers decided not to bring her back when she was replaced, unlike the Brock/Tracey switch.

Also nowadays entire generations of kids grew up watching the anime long after Misty was gone. Kids watching the show today don't even know who Misty is.

Most people? No that is not even close to being true. The adult fanbase complaining about Ash is a negligible part of the anime audience. The little kids watching it certainly aren't complaining about Ash.
precita

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:

Most people? No that is not even close to being true. The adult fanbase complaining about Ash is a negligible part of the anime audience. The little kids watching it certainly aren't complaining about Ash.

But that's the point, little kids wouldn't care if Ash is gone because it doesn't matter to them. They've only been watching Ash for like 2-3 years at the most, not 15 years.

Likewise the kids who started watching during the DP series certainly notice that Dawn and Brock are gone now. To them Dawn was their first pokemon girl yet she's gone and it doesn't matter. So why should Ash?

I understand why Ash is kept all these years, but its the people who whine over Misty (and now Brock?) that are completely insane. Misty and Brock were never relevant to most of the series and that's why they could be easily dropped. Brock staying as long as he did was a travesty to be honest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6