• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon XY TV Anime to Debut on October 17 with Satoshi/Ash

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
precita wrote:
The writers toned down Misty's crush on Ash during Johto because they obviously realized they were never going to do anything with it. Giving Ash a "girlfriend" in the series was a terrible idea that would have only worked if the show ended after Kanto.

Misty crushing on Ash was just a dub-add in to begin with.. though even in Johto they did that whole "Now I know how you really feel about me, Ash" in the dub which wasn't in the original.

The only time romance has ever been brought up in the series was back when Satoshi thought Miniskirt Seiyo was attractive. Also in DP when Kotone asked Hikari if Satoshi would make a good boyfriend and Hikari got flustered. Romance in Pokemon is about as prevelant as it is in One Piece; usually just regulated to jokes about Character A fawning over Character B
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
precita wrote:
The writers toned down Misty's crush on Ash during Johto because they obviously realized they were never going to do anything with it. Giving Ash a "girlfriend" in the series was a terrible idea that would have only worked if the show ended after Kanto.

Misty crushing on Ash was just a dub-add in to begin with.. though even in Johto they did that whole "Now I know how you really feel about me, Ash" in the dub which wasn't in the original.

The only time romance has ever been brought up in the series was back when Satoshi thought Miniskirt Seiyo was attractive. Also in DP when Kotone asked Hikari if Satoshi would make a good boyfriend and Hikari got flustered. Romance in Pokemon is about as prevelant as it is in One Piece; usually just regulated to jokes about Character A fawning over Character B

This. I watched the English dub when I was little and still have that song that heavily hinted that "Misty" liked "Ash." ("I wanna tell you what I'm feeling, but I don't know how to start..."etc.), but when I was watching the first generation (haven't gotten to the second gen yet) in Japanese, any slight hints at romance were very, very vague and questionably not even there unless you believed they were.
precita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
There was still stuff in the second movie and Orange Islands that was the same in Japan, but it was never going to go anywhere. Same with the other Ash pairings.

I think the only pairing the writers really seemed to like was May and Drew back in AG. There was mutual interest there and they made sure her rivals followed her to Johto. Since the Contests were aimed at girls it also make sense for a more shoujo plotline to follow it. The blushing and hints there were very evident in the Japanese version.

There's no pairings now though, Iris and Cilan are as platonic as you can get.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
I'm not being ignorant.

Yes, you are. You decided to ignore the facts that are against your "theory".

jr0904 wrote:
and there are similarities with this series and the Simpsons. If your talking about storylines and the content , then of course. however i am talking about the age of the characters of both series.

For one thing , all the characters in the Simpsons NEVER age even after all this time. and after over 15 years Satoshi is STILL 10 years old. its as i said. uncanny similarities.

This would be true if Ash was always 10 years old. He wasn't. He was de-aged for convenience at the beginning of Unova League. Again, read my previous post for reference.

Ash did grow taller. Noone in Simpsons, to my knowledge, ever did.

Trying to compare the show that has no ongoing plot at all with an ongoing saga of self-improvement, growing up as a trainer etc. is just ridiculous and i seriously don't know why would anyone make such comparision. The only similarity between these two series is that they are animated.

I guess you haven't seen epsiode 1 of Best Wishes.

Though he is taller the Announcer clearly said that he was 10 years old.

you gotta stop believing in those fansubs.

so its like i said , he haven't aged at all and its that similarity of the characters not aging one bit that is the ONLY similarity between this series and the Simpsons. and this is someone who is a die hard pokemaniac , and loathe the Simpsons more than i loathe 4kids and nelvana.

TitanXL wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
I say they should allow Kasumi to return cause she might be the only female in the series that can finally fix satoshi from being so oblivious towards the opposite sex.

Er, why is that? The only character who ever really brought romance up was Kotone.

True enough. though kotone never did got under satoshi's skin like kasumi which is why she is still a fan fav to the die hard fans of the series, though to the otaku community she got replaced by Hikari & Shirona which was why they appeared in the Meloetta arc of season 2.

precita wrote:

This is why when Misty returned those few times in Hoenn, the crush on Ash didn't exist anymore. They phased it out.

Likewise I just don't think the writers care about shipping outside of filler characters or Pokemon anymore. The last canon hinted pairing was May and Drew back in Hoenn, and nothing after that for the last two generations. Iris and Cilan show no interest in love and Dawn was largely oblivious to it and was treated like an Ash clone.

That senario became obivious during the 2nd movie when it was the only time there was any discussions about bf and gf which for some reason no one cared about.

and it became obivous they cut any romance on DP cause you are right about them making Hikari a satoshi clone. But then again i would say the same for Haruka. and they made him even more oblivious towards the opposite sex over the years and especially in the 5th movie with Latias. If that isnt a really bad case of obliviousness , then what is?

Even more so for best wishes otherwise he would have seen that Meloetta had a crush on him and its obliviousness that have pissed off a lot of die hard fans for years. myself included. but what would you expect if you have the main character at 10 years old.

Wont be surprised its one of the main reasons people wanted satoshi to be replaced by the female protagonists of BW / BW2 or from X/Y
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
precita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I've heard that Misty isn't very popular in Japan anymore, so that might be why the writers haven't given her any roles in forever.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:59 am Reply with quote
precita wrote:
I've heard that Misty isn't very popular in Japan anymore, so that might be why the writers haven't given her any roles in forever.

She hasn't been in the show in like 10 years, and in her last season she might as well been drawn as random background art with the go-nowhere plot device known as Togepi.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:54 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I guess you haven't seen epsiode 1 of Best Wishes.

Though he is taller the Announcer clearly said that he was 10 years old.

you gotta stop believing in those fansubs.

so its like i said , he haven't aged at all and its that similarity of the characters not aging one bit that is the ONLY similarity between this series and the Simpsons. and this is someone who is a die hard pokemaniac , and loathe the Simpsons more than i loathe 4kids and nelvana.

You're clearly not understanding what i wrote.

Ash DID age, both physically and emotionally, but everything got retconned in BW episode 1. I never mentioned any fansubs or anything, so you clearly still don't understand the crucial difference between these two shows. Ash is "officially" not aging now, and before that there was no official statement about his age, except some dub-added lines about Grand Festival being held once a year and Ash and Pikachu's "anniversary" in Pikachu & Pichu short. Not sure whether the "3 months delay" before Kanto League was dub-added or not.

I was being involved in Polish dub of the series at some point and for ages fans were complaining that Ash's voice keeps being of 10-year old boy and not reflecting his physical growth. People assumed he ages, because everything seemed to look that way. Then you get, for example Czech dub where Ash's voice actor was 10 at the beginning of the series and keeps voicing him until today. That wouldn't work in The Simpsons or Detective Conan.

The statement from season 14 was the first mention of the fact he's still 10, and believe me, LOTS of fans were upset they were clearly denying everything that happened until then. Going as far as re-designing Ash so he actually looked even younger than he did at the beginning of the show.

Looking at Simpsons, there's no major change between episodes. You could skip 10 seasons and the biggest change woud be animation quality. You skip 1 Pokemon season and you see both Ash being more experienced and his Pokemon team being drastically different.

I think i made myself clear enough this time.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Fans assuming Ash aged doesn't mean Ash aged.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
It also doesn't mean he didn't - there was no official statement before that, except some dub-added lines.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
Ash DID age, both physically and emotionally, but everything got retconned in BW episode 1.

No, he didn't. Satoshi never aged. Nothing was 'retconned'. That's just another thing people who don't actually watch the show (or they did and didn't pay any attention at all) say.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
AtoMan wrote:
Ash DID age, both physically and emotionally, but everything got retconned in BW episode 1.

No, he didn't. Satoshi never aged. Nothing was 'retconned'. That's just another thing people who don't actually watch the show (or they did and didn't pay any attention at all) say.

Exactely. i am a die hard pokemaniac and i have been since the beginning & and been watching the anime series since ep 1. when it comes to the anime series , i definitely know what i am talking about as well as anyone who have watched the series as long as me. mr XL is definitely one of them ( even though we disagree from time to time, especially when it comes to Nelvana , but we definitely know everything about pokemon, )

And he's right when it comes to Satoshi. HE NEVER AGED ONE BIT!

The only thing that have even changed is his uniforms but they still have his age at 10. And its cause they still have him as 10 years old & make him completely dumb after coming to a new region is what have some people so pissed off and why there are those that want him replaced with the protagonist characters. Mainly the females.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6