• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubbed, but not released in North America.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
I've been hearing on how Powerpuff Girls Z, the Stitch anime, and a few others were dubbed in North America, but they were never released here, and only shown in foreign countries. Does anyone know why this happened? Were there no actors to dub in the countries they aired in English, or not a market in North America or what?
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
Apparently both animes ended up being major bombs here in America, there fore they pulled them off television.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I've heard online about an LA-produced Shin-chan dub made for English-speaking areas (with notable LA voice actors like Kath Soucie and Grey DeLisle), but oddly enough, as far as I know, the closest it got to airing in North America was a run on KIKU in Hawaii. From what I hear, it was far closer to the original than the over-the-top South Park-esque dub FUNimation would give it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Not sure about Animax's English dubs (Nodame Cantabile for one, still in too much rights limbo at Sony to make it off Crackle.com and onto disk), but they don't sound UK or Australian produced.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Apparently both animes ended up being major bombs here in America, there fore they pulled them off television.

They never even aired here, so their bombing isn't quite a thing.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
yotsubafanfan wrote:

They never even aired here, so their bombing isn't quite a thing.

Well, Stitch did, and yes, it apparently did bomb. You're right about PPGZ, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Monster did air entirely on TV and you can find it dubbed online, but they only ever actually released 15 episodes on DVD. Perhaps the HBO thing might make Viz reconsider? I don't think the final few episodes of Cyborg 009 aired on TV either, and I think only 8 eps came out on DVD.

For the 2003 Astro Boy series, the last 20 or so episode never aired on TV, though they were on the DVD set. I can't imagine changing from Kids WB to Toonami helped, or having a terrible PS2 game (but an awesome GBA game).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1