• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-10-21]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Throes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:47 am Reply with quote
Well, me being a One Piece fan too, the dub was just terrible. So~ many pointless edits. As for total merging, I don't know how many specifically got spliced togother, or just cut out completely, but what I do know is that 4kids has managed to cut out a total of 33 episodes, merging is stalled now, but when we get into the Arabasta arc, we will see more, I garauntee it.

I'm mostly concerned about if and when they get to Skypiea. Mainly because of all of the religous references. 4kids' Dub Piece is going down the crapper, and fast. Their ratings are in the ones, where as the very successful Naruto dub's ratings were, and still are high. Naruto was not only popular in japan, as One Piece was, and still is, but it is now popular here, and the first show to get a TV-PG rating in the Toonami block to my knowledge.

Now I realise that ratings don't have any meaning as to how good the show is, but rather, relates to how many edits there were. You get a better feel if you've seen the origional series I guess. But still, 4kids' needs to take notes, they need to leave their little fantasy world they are living in where everything is perfect, and nothing bad exists. They need to exit their comfort zone (which in their case is exessive) and venture into un-explored territories, like the prospect of uncut DVDs.

The Yu-Gi-Oh and Shaman King uncut DVDs sold relatively well considering how poorly advertised they were (there were hardly any, if any), they even sold better than the cut releases! And yet Al Kahn has this effed up mentality that the cuts sell better! In my opinion, the One Piece dub has ventured so far from the origional japanese version ,that I don't even consider it to be even related to it's superior japanese version.

@.Sy: The japanese One Piece is truly a masterpiece. In fact, one of my freinds who at the time had only seen several dubbed One Piece episodes feared the origional because of how bad it was! (Especially Luffy's dubbed voice.) When I got them to watch some episodes, they actually got into liking it, and are now following K-Fs fansubs. They aren't following them as faithfully as I am, but they still watch.

I still watch both, mainly because I am curious as to what 4kids will edit next, but the Drum arc hasn't been tampered with too much. As I see it 4kids, like alot of companies, likes money, in their case, however, a little too much. They choose to exploit topics and "cute fuzzy charachters" that appeal to children of the age when parents spoil the snot out of them and buy them what ever they want, except for expensive things like edited DVDs. Which, I doubt many are ever sold, and is why the toy and card market is 4kids largest source of income.

*off topic* Wow! So long for a first post!
remember love

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
RyoShin wrote:
Is there a limit to how many captions one can submit per contest?

I've sent in my submission (with this same question,) but if I come up with anything else I'd like to be able to enter again (without disqualifying myself), cause winning FMP would be very cool.

You can submit as many as you like.

Answerman can I send you a private message of my captions instead of email because I don't think my emails been working as of late.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Maceart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:51 am Reply with quote
The notorious One Piece dub seems to have overshadowed a more recent horrible dub of a more recent 4kids holding: Ojamajo Doremi. Taking out names, opening/ending songs, changing the music, taking out the drama are not acceptable edits.
Throes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:44 am Reply with quote
Maceart wrote:
The notorious One Piece dub seems to have overshadowed a more recent horrible dub of a more recent 4kids holding: Ojamajo Doremi. Taking out names, opening/ending songs, changing the music, taking out the drama are not acceptable edits.

Ha ha! That's not even close to what they did with the One Piece dub. I mean, how many episodes have been completely left out of it yet? They "took out" names? In Dub Piece, they took out several characters, and butchered others *choughsanjicoughcoughdavidmoocantactforshitcough*. Also, Dub Piece did have all of those edits, and more. Awesome background music ----> 4kids' own personal bgm; The wonderful opening "We Are!" -----> 4kids'(c)RAP (also spliced); as for the removal of drama, they took out 3 complete story arcs and 2 manga mini-stories, only one of the story arcs was filler. This messed with the storyline soo much, and will affect later episodes.

Now, I can understand the removal of Little Garden, mainly, because it was such a violent arc, however, I was sad to see it all go. But the Apis filler, and the Laboon story arcs were by far children freindly. 4kids had absolutely NO reason to remove them other than to get to their cash cow character as soon as possible.

We have also to deal with the less serious, yet unexplicable, and non rational edits like the removal of text, especially japanese text, and often english text, to make way for either nothing, or their "Marines" to "Navy" edit.
Fuyu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
well, about fansubbing. Even though some people disagree with it, sometimes as an english fan, the only way that you can "actually" understand it is if it were subbed or dubbed, now some of the anime has "never ever" been dubbed or subbed by the english companies like sailor moon stars for example, i saw it in french but english? nope. the only way to get it is through fansub. And sometimes the dubbing is HORRIBLE like ayashi no ceres.....honestly. And the dubbing... think of card captor, and evangelion, the ONE show that i thought had good dubbing was FLCL. Sometimes, i rather have all the companies just subtitle them it'll be less work, and faster releases (right?). I know some fans prefer dub but...hoenstly i prefer subtitles since the dubbed is never really good
YUGI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptors is getting a proper release in two big boxsets.

Volumes 1-9 http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=676733
Volumes 10-18 http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=688527
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:00 pm Reply with quote
That's just a repackaging of the old subtitled single disks that came out starting 5 years ago. There's nothing actually "new" with the disks (i.e. no dub).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Throes wrote:
Now, I can understand the removal of Little Garden, mainly, because it was such a violent arc,

I don't get that, though. If the giants' fighting was such an important issue, then why has Zolo been able to get away with so much swordfighting in the series?

What I hate most about the dub is that it has good qualities to it, and even then they try to make THOSE bad. I don't think the music is that bad, but the actual soundtrack for the show is a jumbled up piece of garbage that constantly re-uses music from other shows. The script is accurate a good majority of the time, but then they do the major edits and that all goes out the window. And there are SO MANY PEOPLE in TAJ who would fit Sanji PERFECTLY and they picked, of them all, David Moo, who is quite possibly the worst actor in the industry.

I think it's clear that 4Kids is just going out of their way to make this show suck. Editing is one thing, editing anything and everything is another, and I'm tired of people looking the other way about it.
Throes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Throes wrote:
Now, I can understand the removal of Little Garden, mainly, because it was such a violent arc,

I don't get that, though. If the giants' fighting was such an important issue, then why has Zolo been able to get away with so much swordfighting in the series?

Well, I wasn't talking about the giant's fighting, I was talking about the whole brawl with Mr. 3, Zoro trying to cut his legs off and only getting "Half way through" (which the scars showed up later in the dub), and the general "violent" atmosphere the arc brings. I personally like the arc myself, and was sad to see it go, but not entirely surprised. I knew it was going to get edited, but not that much.

Other examples of Little Garden being a violent arc include: spoiler[The giants killing the dinosaurs for meat (I was even slightly disturbed); the giants blasting a big hole in the Island eating fish; more of the Mr. 3 brawl, which included a ton of violence between Mr. 3 and others. Another issue 4kids probably didn't like was the sexuality in that arc, especially at the end, it was a warm island, and Mr. 3's big candle thing burning up, and Nami's clothes being mostly burned off.] It was obviously too much editing for 4kids to handle (wow, that would be a surprise), so they just cut it.

That or the fact that they realised that they were running out of money, and fast, so they sped up to reach their cash cow character, Chopper.

One more thing I would like to point out is that apparantly the issue with the fish getting blasted by the two giants wasn't an issue, because it was seen in 4kids' "New season preview" commercial, only seen once.

Last edited by Throes on Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Throes wrote:
Zoro trying to cut his legs off and only getting "Half way through" (which the scars showed up later in the dub), and the general "violent" atmosphere the arc brings.

They could have kept him trying to cut his legs off and saying "Oh Luffy, I was about to cut off my legs" or something like that. The scars could have been passed off as wounds from an earlier battle.

Quote:
The giants killing the dinosaurs for meat;

Could have been cut or the giants could have just had the meat saved somewhere.

Quote:
and Mr. 3's spoiler[ big candle thing burning up, and Nami's clothes being mostly burned off.]

Paint a shirt on her. It can't be as hard as something like Navy, can it?

Quote:
One more thing I would like to point out is that apparantly the issue with the fish getting blasted by the two giants wasn't an issue, because it was seen in 4kids' "New season preview" commercial, only seen once.

So... there ya' go.
Throes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
They could have kept him trying to cut his legs off and saying "Oh Luffy, I was about to cut off my legs" or something like that. The scars could have been passed off as wounds from an earlier battle.

Even that's too violent for 4kids S&P.

Quote:
Could have been cut or the giants could have just had the meat saved somewhere.

This is true, but in the scene where Nami and Usopp meet Brogy, spoiler[a T-rex approaches, and just before he gobbles up Nami and Usopp, Brogy cut's it's head off] I don't think that 4kids could have edited that in any way shape or form without saying "Oh, Nami and Usopp already KNEW Brogy!" or "Usopp and Nami accidentally walked into Brogy's lair, and somehow, Brogy KNOWs them!"

Quote:
Paint a shirt on her. It can't be as hard as something like Navy, can it?

Acutally, painting a shirt on is a lot tougher than doing something like "Navy". With the Navy edits, all they have to do is block out the old "Marine" words, open up a text tool and write "Navy" do some post-processing modifications like stretching, skewing, and rotating, and you're set. Where as with painting on a shirt would require very difficult, and very time consuming, individual painting of almost every frame. Some of the more recent edits, and even some of the older ones make "Marines" to "Navy" look like childs play *coughtheir-explanation-of-the-grand-compass-and-it's-origionscough*

Quote:
Quote:

So... there ya' go.

That just shows that 4kids probably did have an edit for it, but were running out of money, so they sped up to Chopper, whom they plan on milking the "cutsy" factor of. It's ironic, if they would've left little garden in, the Drum Island arc would've appeared sometime around Christmas. Stategic planning?
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Throes wrote:
Even that's too violent for 4kids S&P.

Considering that Zolo still got his chest sliced across by Mihawk, I'd say violence isn't an issue regarding edits.

Quote:
This is true, but in the scene where Nami and Usopp meet Brogy, spoiler[a T-rex approaches, and just before he gobbles up Nami and Usopp, Brogy cut's it's head off] I don't think that 4kids could have edited that in any way shape or form without saying "Oh, Nami and Usopp already KNEW Brogy!" or "Usopp and Nami accidentally walked into Brogy's lair, and somehow, Brogy KNOWs them!"

Or Brogy just slashes at the dinosaur and it doesn't show his head being cut off.

Quote:
Acutally, painting a shirt on is a lot tougher than doing something like "Navy". With the Navy edits, all they have to do is block out the old "Marine" words, open up a text tool and write "Navy" do some post-processing modifications like stretching, skewing, and rotating, and you're set. Where as with painting on a shirt would require very difficult, and very time consuming, individual painting of almost every frame. Some of the more recent edits, and even some of the older ones make "Marines" to "Navy" look like childs play *coughtheir-explanation-of-the-grand-compass-and-it's-origionscough*

They wouldn't have to paint over each individual frame, though. They could make it so that Nami's shirt is super-imposed on her for each frame without having to paint over all of them (they did it for Zolo's cross, I believe).

Quote:
That just shows that 4kids probably did have an edit for it, but were running out of money, so they sped up to Chopper, whom they plan on milking the "cutsy" factor of. It's ironic, if they would've left little garden in, the Drum Island arc would've appeared sometime around Christmas. Stategic planning?

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if 4Kids aired Little Garden as a flashback or with Chopper imposed on every shot.
Throes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:31 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Yashouzoid]Considering that Zolo still got his chest sliced across by Mihawk, I'd say violence isn't an issue regarding edits.[/quote]
That wound wasn't self inflicted.

Quote:
They wouldn't have to paint over each individual frame, though. They could make it so that Nami's shirt is super-imposed on her for each frame without having to paint over all of them (they did it for Zolo's cross, I believe).

There is a big difference between that and what they would have to do with Nami, biggest thing is, Nami moves around during the scenes, the "cross" that I think you're talking about doesn't. Also, editing things out is alot easier than editing things in.

Quote:
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if 4Kids aired Little Garden as a flashback or with Chopper imposed on every shot.

They may yet, it's possible, but unlikely.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Throes wrote:
That wound wasn't self inflicted.

Okay then, you have a point. But they could have simply cut out all mention of it.

Quote:
There is a big difference between that and what they would have to do with Nami, biggest thing is, Nami moves around during the scenes, the "cross" that I think you're talking about doesn't. Also, editing things out is alot easier than editing things in.

It wouldn't be that hard. Except for a few scenes, she's mostly stationary. Or they could even change it into a tanktop, which would be even less work.
Throes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
It wouldn't be that hard. Except for a few scenes, she's mostly stationary. Or they could even change it into a tanktop, which would be even less work.

Or they could even put Sanji there, and have him hold a badly drawn frying pan over the picture, similar to a really bad edit in Dragonball.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4