• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Have you enjoyed anything produced in or before 1994?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you enjoyed anything produced in or before 1994?
yes
90%
 90%  [ 226 ]
no
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
I don't know
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
I love egoist
3%
 3%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 249

Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh, for sure. They were the key to expanding my love for Anime when I was younger.

I enjoyed shows like:

Devil Hunter Yohko (the first two episodes)
Dominion Tank Police
Dragon Ball Z
Girl From Phantasia
Gunsmith Cats
Oh! My Goddess
Project A-ko
Ranma
Sailor Moon
Vampire Princess Miyu
(OAV's)

I seen more then this but those were all I could think of at the top of my head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm curious as to how age relates to this. Obviously if you're older you're more likely to have seen and enjoyed a pre-94 show. It's usually newer, younger fans that don't peer out past 4 years old.

Taking a stab at it:
I'm 20 almost 21
egoist is a little older than me, so 21 or 22
Nagisa is mid to late 20's
Alan45 is ancient
and HyugaHinata is...40's?

I'm actually just 27.5 years old. Smile

I found ancient WMT anime here in Singapore (Region 3). And with the DVDs out via cdJapan, well, buying them became a no-brainer. Anime smile
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:07 am Reply with quote
When I think about it overall I got your point. Yes, anime fans tends to focus on new series. It seems that I'm odd among odds: When I was 15 I got into anime thanks to Lady Oscar and then focus on the classics. Maybe it was because I wasn't involved in fandom, so I barely had an idea about new and fashionable series. Also on on my first forum we had and have strong pro classical lobby that would make everyone watching good oldies.
Quote:
I'd imagine a mature 35 year old is less likely to have preconceived judgments on something that's 17 years old than someone that is 17 years old. I just think it's less likely that a 35 year old would complain about "ugly" art or what have you.

Yes, I think you are right. Younger people tends to see world in black and white and are likely to give up something because of the first impression.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:13 am Reply with quote
Obviously I voted yes. Mind you, when I started with ANN, it was closer to 1994 than it was to 2011.

Akira, Bubblegum Crisis and AD Police were the first anime I watched. And I watched them a couple years before 1994.

Other "classic" anime I've enjoyed include all of Miyazaki's old movies, Ranma 1/2 (the dominant anime of the early 1990's North American anime scene), Patlabor, Barefoot Gen, Galaxy Express 999, Dirty Pair, Here is Greenwood, DNA^2, RG Veda, Arslan, Kimagure Orange Road, Kodocha, Marmalade Boy, Urusei Yatsura, You're Under Arrest, Ah! My Goddess, Gunbuster, Otaku no Video, Captain Tylor, Wings of Honneamise etc...

In fact, some of the best anime I've ever seen are on the above list (and some of them aren't that great). I strongly, strongly recommend that every anime fan see the early Gainax titles: Gunbuster, Wings of Honneamise and Otaku no Video. I also strongly recommend Miyazaki's early movies like Nausicaa, Totoro and Laputa.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
I voted Yes too. And regarding Harts' theory, I'll be turning 25 in a couple of months.

I don't really want to look through My Anime for pre 1994 stuff that I liked, so I'll copycat the titles already listed here:

Nausicaa
Gunbuster
Gunsmith Cats
Irresponsible Captain Tylor (poo poo to you, KOH)
Dragon Half
Macross
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I voted Yes too. And regarding Harts' theory, I'll be turning 25 in a couple of months.

How long have you been watching anime, though? 25 and 3 is out of the norm. 25 and 7 or 8, though, isn't exactly odd. The longer you're a fan, the more likely you are to reach back. And even though I watch older shows despite only being a fan for 3 years, I also watch a lot of anime, so I need to reach back just find stuff to watch.

Quote:
Irresponsible Captain Tylor (poo poo to you, KOH)

I said it wasn't a popular opinion.

HyugaHinata wrote:
I'm actually just 27.5 years old. Smile

Bullsnarkies. Way to make me feel like crap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spoony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
I have, but not as much as I'd like. I watched Speed Racer and Sailor Moon a lot as a kid. More recently, most of the older stuff I've watched have been movies like Barefoot Gen, Akira, Grave of the Fireflies, and Miyazaki films.

If we're talking REALLY old, I have seen a bit of Gegege no Kitarou and thought it had a really cool creepy vibe. I haven't gotten around to watching a lot of it, though.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

How long have you been watching anime, though?

Basically since my join date, so like 3 or 4 years. I'd seen Slayers long before, but didn't really recognize it as anime.

EDIT: Son of a... I forgot that my favorite anime, Touch, is pre 1994. Everybody stop what youare doing, and go watch Touch. Also, I like Lupin III and Ninja Scroll.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Wow, spot-on. I'm twenty-six as of the beginning of this month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:

How long have you been watching anime, though?

Basically since my join date, so like 3 or 4 years. I'd seen Slayers long before, but didn't really recognize it as anime.

Well, perhaps my theory is bunked then. I just thought new younger fans were less open to the idea of older shows from all the negative comments I've come across. Old time fans also making such observations only reinforced my ideas.

Nagisa wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

Wow, spot-on. I'm twenty-six as of the beginning of this month.

Yea, I'm awesome like that. Actually, I just read your staff write up, assumed you were about 18 when you wrote it (one year member before becoming a mod) and added 8 years. Voila, 26, or, more broadly, mid to late 20's.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
@The King of Harts

I'm afraid I will have to agree with you again. I didn't care for Irresponsible Captain Tylor either. I had the first several VHS tapes back when. I gave away the tapes years ago when I made the transition to DVD and have never felt the need to replace them.

The story arc where he was captured by the alien girl and made into her dog sort of wierded me out.

Looking at everyone's lists of titles, I was surprised at how many of them I have and have watched. Perhaps I should set my list of titles up to be able to sort by year.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Yea, I'm awesome like that. Actually, I just read your staff write up, assumed you were about 18 when you wrote it (one year member before becoming a mod) and added 8 years. Voila, 26, or, more broadly, mid to late 20's.

Urk, that thing's still on here? That's probably in need of some serious revision... Shocked

Edit: Yes. Yes it is. I wonder if I can do that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abok85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm 22 and have been watching anime since elementary school. The first anime I ever saw was Robotech/Macross. After that was Sailor Moon, Ninja Scroll, Dragon Ball Z, Tenchi Muyo, and all the others that came out on Toonami.

That was when I really started to venture out and watch other anime. I've been hooked ever since then.
arielifeoma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm not certain that I dig the whole age/experience formula. I'm relatively young and I've only been watching anime for almost 2 years (I usually didn't have cable/tv as a child, I preferred books and I was too busy with work and school from a young age). However, looking through my list, I've found that I enjoyed a number of pre1994 anime shows, even if I rated them poorly because, as I explained in my "favorites" list, I understand that what may endear an anime to me doesn't necessarily indicate quality. With recommendation/review sites like this up and helping people find anime gems, I'm more inclined to think that there are more like me than dissimilar. I'm also curious about the time frame too. Why did we pick 1994?
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
Because I'm egocentric but kinda reasonable sometimes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7