• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Have you enjoyed anything produced in or before 1994?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you enjoyed anything produced in or before 1994?
yes
90%
 90%  [ 226 ]
no
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
I don't know
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
I love egoist
3%
 3%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 249

P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
My first anime convention was in 1994.
If you put it in the perspective of attending an anime convention today where the staff and attendees only acknowledge the existence of anime and manga produced 1994 and before, that seems kind of weird.

But back then titles like Devil Hunter Yokho, Urusei Yatsura, Green Legend Ran and Only Yesterday were popular releases. Laserdiscs and VHS where the only forms of media for video as PCs hadn't really entered the picture yet for the use of watching anime let alone internet and streaming technology.
Pantha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah. After almost seven years, Rose of Versailles (1979) remains the best anime I've ever seen. Because of Rose of Versailles, I started hunting out older shoujo like Candy Candy, The Glass Mask, and Lady Georgie. There's a lot of great anime produced in the 80s too. I almost gave the original Macross an excellent. The City Hunter series. Legend of Galactic Heroes. Kimagure Orange Road. As for early 90s anime, one must mention Sailor Moon.
BarryB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball!! I also enjoyed Ninja Scroll
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
This question may be addressed readily.

Macross, Area 88, GunBuster and Patlabor come to mind quite instantly.

Regarding titles closer to the specified year, You're Under Arrest had its genesis in 1994, and Key The Metal Idol preceded it by a year.

I cannot claim to have discovered these titles soon after their creation, or indeed to have been alive when the earliest were produced. Thus, it has only been in the last few years within which I have acquired a familiarity with the fruits of decades past.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd like to see some young, new fans chime on this to see if my and many older fans' observations are correct.

Well, I think I'm a relatively new fan. I discovered anime about 2 1/2 years ago, but I didn't get really into it until about a year and a half ago. I guess for the most part I fall into the typical category in that I was watching mostly newer anime, but awhile ago I decided to educate myself on older anime and watched the They Were Eleven 1986 movie, and it was really good! Also, at the urging of Answerman I watched Revolutionary Girl Utena, though I don't know if it was before 1994. It was amazing though! One of the best series I've seen, which really surprised me since the psychological genre isn't normally my cup of tea.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Most definitely. I absolutely adore both Kimagure Orange Road and Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV. I've also enjoyed Armored Trooper VOTOMS, Arcadia of My Youth, Akira, Time Stranger, Dirty Pair, Dragon Ball Z and that is all I can recall off the top of my head of shows I've enjoyed pre-1994. Was Tenchi Muyo! before 1994?
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Oh, for sure. They were the key to expanding my love for Anime when I was younger.

I enjoyed shows like:

Devil Hunter Yohko (the first two episodes)
Dominion Tank Police
Dragon Ball Z
Girl From Phantasia
Gunsmith Cats
Oh! My Goddess
Project A-ko
Ranma
Sailor Moon
Vampire Princess Miyu (OAV's)

I seen more then this but those were all I could think of at the top of my head.

Damn, i was certain i didn't enjoy any series before 94, so i voted "no". But you reminded me about Sailor Moon.
frankplastictrees

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Not only do I enjoy it, but I prefer it. Three of my favorite shows all come from the 80's in Maison Ikkoku, Kimagure Orange Road, and Touch.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I voted yes because there are some pre 94 anime that I have watched and loved.

The first anime I ever saw was Sailor Moon and I was either 10 or 11 at that time. I know DBZ I think was airing at that time, along with some bad 80's mecha shows (I have no clue what they were).

The pre 94 shows that I have enjoyed are (Some partial and some full)

Sailor Moon (Have not seen all of it)
Patlabor
All of the Gundam shows and movies before 94 Except ZZ Gundam haven't watched it yet and I wasn't crazy for F91.
Barefoot Gen
Ranma 1/2 (Only seen up to Season 3)
DNA ^2
GoLion (Only seen up to Season 2)
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Have only seen Season 1 and the first four episodes of Season 2)
Tenchi Muyo (First 2 OVA only since they were before 1994)
Otaku no Video
Saint Seiya (Only seen what ADV has released)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Considering that some of GAINAX's very best, all of Miyazaki's and Takahata's best work, and the best Takahashi adaptations all predate 1994, and taking into account the best from the OVA boom, I'd have to answer "Yes!" (plus Patlabor, plus Project A-ko, plus...)

And that's without even thinking of all the older anime from the sixties and seventies I've enjoyed.

(I will admit that pre-Hakujaden anime does seem a bit dated to me.)
Skidaruzutall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Yes, though there are a few shows I enjoyed in middle/high school that I've tried to re watch and couldn't. What was enjoyable then isn't as enjoyable now.

Some shows I still like after all these years:

Ninja Scroll
Dragon Ball Z
Ronin Warriors
Akira
Sailor Moon
Yu Yu Hakusho
Nausicaa
Castle in the Sky
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
frankplastictrees wrote:
Not only do I enjoy it, but I prefer it. Three of my favorite shows all come from the 80's in Maison Ikkoku, Kimagure Orange Road, and Touch.
Maison Ikkoku is so class. I lick it very much.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
frankplastictrees wrote:
Maison Ikkoku is so class. I lick it very much.

That's...creepy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Spank you.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I have enjoyed watching older anime shows/series and yes, there were a lot more OVA's out there. Being an anime fan since the mid 80's I have been watching/collecting anime for a long time. I remember watching in the '70's Speed Racer, Candy Candy and Battle of the Planets. Bubble gum Crisis, A.D Police started me off but then came Earthian, Tenchi Muyo, Cutey Honey, Angel Cop, Sukeban Deka, Sohryuden (legend of the Dragon Kings), Crying Freeman, Vampire Hunter D. There were some really good series back then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7