• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Regios Free

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amagee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad you mentioned the CG stuff getting somewhat wacky here and there. My other Gundam pals told me they didn't see it. At least it didn't really ruin anything for me per se.

As a major Gundam fan, the "Hyper Mega Particle Cannon" thing not being shortened is good for me. In the U.C. universe, it's a pretty big deal seeing as it's the most powerful mobile gun on either side at this point in time in the show. There is also the fact that the ship rarely, if ever, wants to fire the dumb thing since it basically requires turning everything else off for about a minute. Consequently, using it's a very careful decision. I'd be curious as to whether or not you liked that scene in particular cause I know I enjoyed the hell out of it.

You mentioned making an acronym for it which pleased me because many a Gundam fan had to deal with acronyms galore in Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. These were often horribly done to fit pre-used Gundam words such as "Gundam" itself, Zaku, Dom, etc. It tends to be one of those things fans gripe over.
RenaInnocenti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
I will agree that most Gundam Fans, i.e fans who watched more than just SEED or Wing, will find Unicorn to be exceedingly interesting. I must say, however, that Unicorn is meant to be a six episode OVA, and that I am waiting for part four to be released. I found no issue, personally, with the plot development in episode 3, since a person should always be heading into a Gundam series expecting to see epic fights, deaths up the wazoo, and plots that don't always make sense (Gundams Wing and SEED Destiny are good examples of this, by the way).

I can't believe, in all honestly, that people expected Unicorn to be a 3-part OVA, since the shortest Gundam OVAs have been at least 6 episodes, regardless of episode length. I'm not counting Counterattack as an OVA, because it was a movie. If you count out the amount of time you sit there watching, Unicorn is technically an 18-episode series, just with less commercial breaks.
I don't think that the rendering was that bad, because if you look at Gundam of the past (Igloo, SEED and SEED Destiny) you see that the rendering in Unicorn, however transparent, is still much better than it's predecessors. Although, if it would have been put out by companies who are actually trying to seamlessly blend 3D and 2D animation, we would have the Sattelite logo on our Gundam instead. Sunrise is known for their 2D animation, not their 3D (hence why almost no one remembers MS Igloo).
It's much easier rendering the Unicorn transformation into Destroy Mode and replaying the animation than it is to render it separately each time, but I'm willing to forgive it, since I love Gundam and (almost) everything it stands for.

But my point is: Never go into a Gundam series (or any other TV series for that matter) expecting anything, since you will most likely be disappointed.
The only disappointment that episode 3 had for me is that Angelo hasn't died yet.
If you're confused about plot points and things from Universal Century, sit down and watch the MSG movies, the 50 episodes of Zeta and Char's Counterattack. That should clear up anything that you don't understand. spoiler[And Zeta will help understand what's so horrible about the Augusta Newtype Facility. So it's not just gobbledygook to you.]

I've said my bit. Now I'm going to disappear and watch form the sidelines.[/i]
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, for those that have seen both, did you like Phantom better as an OVA series or TV series?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:03 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Out of curiosity, for those that have seen both, did you like Phantom better as an OVA series or TV series?

As far as I can remember...despite all the aforementioned issues, I'd go for the Phantom TV series myself.

Why? Because the OVA only covers the first act of the story...in a rather rushed and sloppy manner. The atmosphere and directorial style are different enough, yes, but this isn't an improvement in my humble opinion, unless you happen to think "brightness" is automatically better than "darkness" by default. The action sequences are also more over-the-top but not in a good way either. The animation was actually worse than that of the TV series. Still, I suppose the music was fairly nice or at least acceptable in its own right.

Frankly, I felt it sacrificed too much content and development in the process. The finale is more open-ended and perhaps someone could consider that "preferable" on paper, but why would anyone care when the rest of the OVA was so poorly made and uninspired in terms of execution?

Honestly, the OVA makes Koichi Mashimo's take and its questionable or borrowed elements seem relatively unique.

But I suppose many people -or even Erin- might have an easier time laughing at the OVA than at the TV series. Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:21 am Reply with quote
RenaInnocenti wrote:
I can't believe, in all honestly, that people expected Unicorn to be a 3-part OVA, since the shortest Gundam OVAs have been at least 6 episodes, regardless of episode length.

Now that's not true.

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz was a three-part OVA before it was a movie. The three Mobile Suit Gundam Ms igLoo OVAs were all three episodes long. And although technically an ONA, there was Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: Stargazer, which also only had three episodes.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
That part where Erin asks her readers not to take a bad review seriously? Ah, that was a great laugh. Good luck with that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3