• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big GIANT Halloween Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
hmmm O_O so much stuff. I don't know whether to enter the carving or the random draw? Is a person only allowed to enter one of the sections of contest? Or can a person enter both if he/she changes her mind in carving a pumpkin?

You should enter both! You can enter in both sections if you want, though keep in mind, you can only enter the Form section once, but the pumpkin sections as many times as you want. So, really, you can really raise your chances of winning if you enter both.

Also, yes, Zac already mentioned it, but to clarify, there are two grand prizes. One grand prize will go to the carving contest entry, one will go to the form winner. A runner-up prize will be given to the 2nd place carving contest entry.

As for pumpkins.... hmm.... we'd prefer real pumpkins, just because their phsyical properties are so unique. Most college students live in dorms that have communal kitchens and lounges, or apartments with kitchens, so I'm sure something can be worked out. If pumpkins absolutely can't be used, drop us an email, explain your situation, and we'll ponder over it some more.
remember love

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:40 am Reply with quote
Can I send more then two pictures in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:57 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
As for pumpkins.... hmm.... we'd prefer real pumpkins, just because their phsyical properties are so unique. Most college students live in dorms that have communal kitchens and lounges, or apartments with kitchens, so I'm sure something can be worked out. If pumpkins absolutely can't be used, drop us an email, explain your situation, and we'll ponder over it some more.

Well, I'm not sure I'll even have the time to do any pumpkin carving myself, personally, but I have seen those fake pumpkins on sale lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if *someone* tried that. Appearence-wise they look almost exactly like real pumpkins, I dunno if there's any difference in how they carve...
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:42 am Reply with quote
My husband won the Ghost in the Shell SAC contest there was back when um... I think Ghost in the Shell SAC was first coming out in the US. (Was odd cause we didn't know until a bunch of Ghost in the Shell stuff showed up in the mail one day and I was like "Huh? Confused ... Shocked Ooooooh...")

I was really surprised. Different site and all, but I wouldn't discourage people by saying 'It'll never happen'.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
remember love wrote:
Can I send more then two pictures in?

Go for it, as long as one of them has a sign in it that says Anime News Network. You can also do as many pumpkins as you want, but please take separate pictures of them.
hoodaman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
This is..hands down the perfect contest! I look forward to Autumn all year just for carving pumpkins. It is so much fun. Will the entries be put into some sort of gallery? Maybe sorted by contestant? Hope to see all those neato pumpkins!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
With the EGL contest, they were all given numbers, but entries by the same person seemed to be grouped together, anyway.

Suppose I or any other college/boarding school student win. Based on your experience, should we give you our campus mailng address when you ask for it or our permanent home address? (I initally put my campus address, but will be more than happy to give you the other if it's needed)
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
With the EGL contest, they were all given numbers, but entries by the same person seemed to be grouped together, anyway.

Suppose I or any other college/boarding school student win. Based on your experience, should we give you our campus mailng address when you ask for it or our permanent home address? (I initally put my campus address, but will be more than happy to give you the other if it's needed)

Doesn't matter. Just provide whatever address you want to receive the package at.

All the pumpkins will be posted so the whole world can see your snazzy talent. Very Happy
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Wait......I have talent?
hoodaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Is there absolutely no exceptions to photoshop? What if you didn't edit the picture, only adjusted the brightness levels and contrast and so forth. Is that allowed?
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
hoodaman wrote:
Is there absolutely no exceptions to photoshop? What if you didn't edit the picture, only adjusted the brightness levels and contrast and so forth. Is that allowed?

dude, why would you even consider it? the whole point is to show you're talented at carving a pumpkin.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
hoodaman wrote:

That's not technically photoshop, especially since you can do that on most cameras.
remember love

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sam.: wrote:
There is no way I'm going to win.. and neither are any of you. How many times have you won a contest like that before? (Never!) And how many times have you entered in a contest like that before? (too many times). The probability of you or me winning is almost 0%. The truth hurts, but, it's still fun to participate so I filled out a form and you should too. Happy Halloween!

Welp.... I'm not going to believe you here because I just one 3rd place in one of the contests on this website. Normally I would agree with you probably won't happen I've entered contests for everything but for once in my life I actual did it and it was on this website... so people don't be discourge go ahead and enter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hoodaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's not technically photoshop, especially since you can do that on most cameras.

My digital camera sucks and I had a hard enough time taking a picture of if without the flash let alone adjusting levels on the damn thing Wink You wouldn't be able to tell what it was very well if I didn't make ANY adjustments to it.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I love seeing contests where we can see entries of some sort, such as in Cossette, and of course, this carving contest. I really don't know how safe it is to put a knife in my hand and try to get it through the skin of a pumpkin though.

As for fake pumpkins, I suppose since this is a creativity contest, buying a carved one won't do too much. About photoshopping a pumpkin and making it look real - that's quite difficult, I'm sure we'll see through it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4