• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
No one knows if/when there will be more, but there was a good deal of time between the first series and TSR, and Kyoto Animation already has shows lined up through the winter '08 season, so the Spring '08 season (April - June) is the absolute earliest we'll see it. But considering Haruhi's success, there is a decent chance they'll do a sequel to that before FMP. Or they could do a completely new property.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
Well I think you should watch it so you get what's going on. TSR is was pretty good; it had much more blood & gore. I just really disliked how it ended and the OVA was no help either.
mc_beaner69

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:25 am Reply with quote
Teh Rules wrote:
2) This forum is an English-language forum. All users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. All conversation must be in English. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post.
[Feel free to re-edit this post to what it originally was, as long as you comply with this rule. And be sure to read the rest of Teh Rules using the link provided, as well.~Zalis]
Space Pirate Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:12 am Reply with quote
really?
surly its not all action, there must still be those classic kunami and solskae moments that we've all grown to love!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
TSR is pretty low on the comedy side. There is a bit here and there in the early portion, but the comedy is almost non-existent after episode 5 or so.
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wouldn't consider the last half of the series to be completely devoid of humour, though if you're looking for it you'll have to wait a while (the serious segments start spoiler[around the end of episode 6] and lasts until spoiler[about one-third of the way through the last ep., not including the OVA]).
Master_M2K

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
TSR is pretty low on the comedy side. There is a bit here and there in the early portion, but the comedy is almost non-existent after episode 5 or so.

Yeah that episode is one of my favourite anime episode of all time. It was hilarious how Melissa kept on beating up the guy who kept on waking up. Anime smile
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of this series at all and think I wasted my money on TSR, but assuming you like any of the FMPs, even if Fumoffu and not the first series, I recommend TSR. Despite the story-type being different, TSR and Fumoffu are just plain better than the first season cause the first season is animated by Gonzo, not Kyoto Animation. A whole different cast of people made it and that's what really makes a show.

I've actually never seen Fumoffu or the first season, but I'm fairly certain I'm correct in my analysis. I can tell from trailers, pictures, etc. I really dislike Gonzo in general (although they've made one or two decent shows, most of their shows are garbage). Fumoffu looks excellent, but I'm not gonna get it because I realize I hate FMP after I watched TSR. I only got it because I wanted to see the super good animation of Kyoto Animation. I have absolutely no interest in any of the characters or story.

frentymon wrote:
My take on the three series is this:

Full Metal Panic!: Confused
Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu: Comedy Driven
Full Metal Panic! TSR: Action/Plotline Driven

LOL! ROFL! Couldn't be put better. Smile
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
The action in the first ep of TSR alone was better than the entire first season.
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
frentymon wrote:
My take on the three series is this:

Full Metal Panic!: Confused
Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu: Comedy Driven
Full Metal Panic! TSR: Action/Plotline Driven

LOL! ROFL! Couldn't be put better. Smile

I can't help but disagree with this assessment of the first series.

First, we need to understand the source material. The novels are distinctly divided into the more serious novels that contain the main plot and the more comedic novels that contain short stories. The way these novels have been released so far have had the main plot novels alternating with the short story novels. In this way, the precedent was established for the serious and lighter episodes to be combined in this way.

Second, without the lighter, comedic episodes, the more serious side of FMP! doesn't have the same impact. At its very core, FMP! is about two characters. Sousuke and Kaname. Sousuke has grown up with war all around him ever since he was a child and knows relatively little else outside of this. FMP! places him into a high school in the peaceful country of Japan. On the surface, this is a typical fish out of water set-up. However, he still maintains his military responsibilities in addition to blending into Japanese society in order to serve as Kaname's bodyguard. Kaname, on the other hand, is, for all intents and purposes, a regular high school student. However, she begins to learn that she has latent abilities within herself that will radically alter the course of her life.

Now, what does this mean for the first FMP! series? There are two forces at work. Sousuke is placed into a peaceful Japanese society and is forced to adapt. Kaname is forced into covert military operations and having to avoid would-be captors and is forced to adapt. The lives of these two characters are being radically rearranged. In Sousuke's case, we can see that he is gradually growing accustomed to and eventually enjoys living in a peaceful Japan, mostly due in part to Kaname's influence. The lighter scenes are necessary in order to show him interacting with regular, every day people in regular, every day Japan. As for Kaname, we see someone who is growing increasingly out of place in regular Japanese society. She is gradually learning more about her abilities as a Whispered and about those who want to use her abilities. She is slowly coming to terms with the idea that her normal life in Japan may not last forever. If we, as the audience, are not introduced to these scenes of normal life early on, then scenes like spoiler[Sousuke smashing his phone when learning that he's been taken off of his assignment in Japan] or when spoiler[Kaname realizes that she's being spied on, that she may not be safe even in her own home, and that Sousuke isn't around to protect her] in TSR lose much of their impact. It becomes even more important later when, if it's ever animated, spoiler[the two worlds violently collide when Amalgam goes on the offensive in Tokyo. They even go as far as taking Jindai High, with students, faculty, and building included, as a hostage. What was once a safe and peaceful place is that no longer, and there's no going back.]

The reason why FMP! may seem confused or disjointed is because there are indeed two very distinct and highly contrasted parts to the story. Each, however, is dependent on the other for its full impact. This is why the first series absolutely must present them together in order to provide a proper base for the series as a whole.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:37 am Reply with quote
This is the best "serious" series of the franchise, deserves "Very good" rating.

Not perfect, but much better than the original, where almost every military action was idiotic.

And also better than the "Invisible" series, where the stupidity is strong, even though not as bad as in the original.

That said, Fumoffu is the best season a there is no serious military action, hence no dumbness like that at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3