• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Also Stream Monogatari Series 2nd Season Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Why in the world would one book be titled Neko Black and the other Neko White if they have nothing to do eachother? I guess I forgot it's Nisio.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Glad CR got this for streaming. That said, I wish they'd finish up Bakemonogatari before they move on to the next season. Missing out on the last 3 episodes broke my heart. And I think it's a sad day when even paying subscribers turn to pirate sites to see an anime in its entirety. Crying or Very sad
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Very glad to see CR keep getting the Monogatari Series. The one-month delay is a little breathtaking, but not a surprise in this post- industry-backed-Daisuki landscape. I expect this sort of thing to become the norm for the duration of the site's existence, particularly for big shows from its backers spoiler[(though, in all honesty, I don't think the service will last very long. Could be wrong, but Japanese companies tend to place too much expectations on such endeavors and pull out when those lofty goals aren't met fast enough and/or embraced fully (a la Niconico's English-subbed anime streaming, Bandai Visual USA, various other US subsidiaries and digital distro services in both anime and manga)].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Guess that means they'll pull out of AnimeSols faster than a metaphor about prom night. The guy running it said something about such low operating costs that they can survive if nothing makes it...but that's if they're allowed to continue. And for how long could they continue with nothing being completed?

Perhaps Daisuki isn't usurping the power CR had fully, but they can implement stuff like this fairly easily. Delayed series may be full delays, not "delayed, then catch-up", but "every single episode is a month behind" which is no way to watch a show if you want to keep up with conversation.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Guess that means they'll pull out of AnimeSols faster than a metaphor about prom night. The guy running it said something about such low operating costs that they can survive if nothing makes it...but that's if they're allowed to continue. And for how long could they continue with nothing being completed?

I fail to see any connection whatsoever between animesols and this news story... ?
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I hope Daisuke does well. I like crunchyroll, but I welcome competition in the streaming market. If you call it competition. I am just glad the legal streaming industry is growing. And Aniplex is one the founders of Daisuke. No wonder they are getting all of the Ani titles.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
A month delay is a kick in the teeth, but better than nothing.
I've no interest in messing around with this Daisuke site.
If legal streaming is going to work, they need to keep it to one place.
No ones going to pay to subscribe to a site if the shows they want to watch are scattered over various sites.
Fansubs are unfortunately going to come out on top with this series now...
kaydub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
The sad part is that no matter how many sites legally stream this show, Aniplex is still going to charge $500 for the Blu-Ray set.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile, at the Kizumonogatari production... Still nothing.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
kaydub wrote:
The sad part is that no matter how many sites legally stream this show, Aniplex is still going to charge $500 for the Blu-Ray set.

Yes, unfortunately. They gobble up a lot of popular shows. But certain $500 ones now have English dubs. Possible re-release? Maybe or maybe not.
Clarste

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Why in the world would one book be titled Neko Black and the other Neko White if they have nothing to do eachother? I guess I forgot it's Nisio.

They have a whole ton to do with each other. I don't know what everyone else is talking about. Chronologically there's a huge gap between them, but thematically everything's building on the previously works, and White in particular provides closure on the events of Black. Also White contains contains a lot of details that would be considered spoilers of Black. Honestly, Kizumonogatari is also pretty important to fully appreciating anything that comes after Bake, but unfortunately the movie seems to have been indefinitely delayed.

Seriously, everyone else who said they have nothing to do with each other is an idiot. You probably wouldn't be incredibly confused or anything, since the basic gist of Black was covered in a brief Bake flashback, but the intended experience will be different.

Last edited by Clarste on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:56 am Reply with quote
kaydub wrote:

Is the show already listed for sale in Japan? I'm surprised to see you expecting a $500 set, if nothing is known about the Japanese release, yet. Nisemonogatari was sold on singles in Japan (and wasn't $250/cour here in the US). Nekomonogatari was on two discs, IIRC(?). What are you basing your post on?
kaydub

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
kaydub wrote:

Is the show already listed for sale in Japan? I'm surprised to see you expecting a $500 set, if nothing is known about the Japanese release, yet. Nisemonogatari was sold on singles in Japan (and wasn't $250/cour here in the US). Nekomonogatari was on two discs, IIRC(?). What are you basing your post on?

Whoa there, pump your brakes. I was simply taking a jab at Aniplex and the fact that many of their higher profile releases tend to be on the expensive end of the scale. You know, like the $670 Gurren Lagann BD set, or the $700 combined Fate/Zero BD set, or the $300 combined Madoka BD set... If I was speaking based on factual information, I would have provided a source. Shame on me for forgetting that anime is always serious business Rolling Eyes

Although, I suppose you are right. $500 is a lofty expectation, even if it was obviously an exaggerated one... $400 is more in line with what I'm really expecting, considering S2 will be a 2-cour show and the initial BD price for Bakemonogatari was around $200 if I'm not mistaken. And considering the fact that we STILL don't have a cheaper non-LE release of Bake without all the extra fluff, I'm inclined to expect the same for S2.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
kaydub wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
kaydub wrote:

Whoa there, pump your brakes. I was simply taking a jab at Aniplex and the fact that many of their higher profile releases tend to be on the expensive end of the scale.

Yeah, that's what I thought that you were doing, so I was poking back.

Quote:
You know, like the $670 Gurren Lagann BD set, or the $700 combined Fate/Zero BD set, or the $300 combined Madoka BD set...

At least you have one US release on the list. If you don't like Aniplex's import prices, you can always import them yourself, likely saving a significant amount of money (but not getting any translation booklets). I did that for OreImo, which didn't have a booklet to miss out on.

By default, I'm presuming that the new Monogatari series will also be released on BD singles in Japan. I guess that we'll probably know what type of release that the US will get if the Japanese BDs have English subtitles on them. If that doesn't happen, then we get to wonder if we'll get a fuller-featured release like Bakemongatari, or a stripped release like Nisemonogatari. How long we have to wait for the US release will probably determine the type of release.

Quote:
If I was speaking based on factual information, I would have provided a source. Shame on me for forgetting that anime is always serious business :roll:

As I said above, I was just poking back at your jab. ;p

Quote:
Although, I suppose you are right. $500 is a lofty expectation, even if it was obviously an exaggerated one... $400 is more in line with what I'm really expecting, considering S2 will be a 2-cour show and the initial BD price for Bakemonogatari was around $200 if I'm not mistaken.

I paid $150 for Bakemonogatari from TRSI, and Nise was slightly less. I could see $400 MSRP as a possibility for a complete set, or two half-sets. Aniplex importing the Japanese singles seems unlikely, but maybe they'll surprise us.

Quote:
And considering the fact that we STILL don't have a cheaper non-LE release of Bake without all the extra fluff, I'm inclined to expect the same for S2.

The LE set's only been out for just over half a year. I wouldn't expect a RE set for a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2