• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Free! was a fun bit of camp, and that ED is pretty majestic. Definitely a favorite of the season already. I checked out fansubs for Brothers Conflict, and it looks...like a straight VN adaptation. A lot of characters standing still to have conversations before walking away. It wasn't terrible or horrendous, but I didn't get much out of it.

Same can be said for my reactions to Gifu Dodo!! and InuHasa really. Neither struck me as particularly bad (though the animation in Inu was pretty shoddy at times) but I didn't find anything gripping about either. Also I rather hate the female lead in InuHasa, and don't find her at all funny.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I suggest you go check my tweets from about oh...five hours ago.

You might find them informative

Why should we need to, Fencedude? Say what you've got to say here instead of just dropping vague comments and saying, "see this for the full story." You've never been shy about speaking your mind before, and I'm not going to allow this thread to serve as an advertising service for your tweeting.

So yeah, if you want me to give a damn about what you say - or read it at all! - then post it here.

Chagen's been stalking me on twitter for like a month, he can damn well find out my opinions instead of just assuming.

But since you asked: InuHasa is trash and Free is amazing.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Actually I'm following you, not stalking you.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
But since you asked: InuHasa is trash and Free is amazing.

Thank you for the clarification. I must admit that I'm a little surprised that you liked Free!, but I'm not complaining. It is not a series that I can see me following, but it's done well enough that it should (hopefully!) quiet some of the rampant criticism of KyoAni out there.

Last edited by Key on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Danganronpa is my most anticipated show of this season since I loved the game and the atmosphere. Like some weird fusion of Persona and Gyakuten Saiban.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
The comparison of Free to Chihayafuru is one of the funniest things I've read today. I think that writer meant The Basketball That Kuroko Plays as this seems to have been greenlit following the amazing financial success that series had. Instead of the dude getting all emo because he went to the USA and got schooled at basketball, this time it's Australia. Yaaay.
musouka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Clearly all slice of life shows should now be about half-naked guys in clubs instead of cute girls in clubs.

Seriously, though, Free! was very entertaining. Makoto is clearly the best girl--and wife--so I wasn't really feeling the ~passionate rivalry~ aside from some of the funnier gags about it, but overall it was a lot of fun and nicely animated to boot. Made me laugh quite a few times (on purpose), and the ED sequence made me wish KyoAni had done MAGI.

Looking forward to Rei, hopefully next ep.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised at all of those scores for Free actually! I expected 2's or something. Lets see if someone does a combo break lol.

I just watched the first episode and enjoyed myself (a little too much really). It was so adorable, but so... obvious or something! A little dorky too. I still want to watch more. Not often you get so much male fanservice in one episode let alone a series.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd be interested in seeing if Zac is going to review Servant X Service. That it deals with adult characters could be something he'd like.

I also wonder if Symphogear G will be this season's guilty pleasure show and what series will Zac absolutely hate.
Zump

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Just finished reading over the Dog and Scissors previews: it literally has the exact same premise as Poochinski! Not sure why Gonzo thought recycling a premise from a failed U.S. TV show would be a good idea, considering said U.S. TV show was terrible.

Last edited by Zump on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
I hear there's a story coming up in Gifu Dodo, but there wasn't any in that first episode...and while I can be forgiving of many short cuts, the ones used in this show are all of my least favorites. The biggest offender being the static shot where one thing moves. Check out the Biwa playing at 17:05... it is SOOOOO bad, It's got the complexity of a gif on repeat, and the one bit that's being animated is some sort of spastically flailing flipper hand.
We also have cheap cgi to give the allusion of effort and mouths that seem to move on a hinge.
At this point these characters are less dynamic than a supermarionette in Thunderbirds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing if Zac is going to review Servant X Service. That it deals with adult characters could be something he'd like.

I'm fairly sure it'll just be Working with an older cast and in an office setting, not supper surrious adlut drawhmaw.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
It definitely won't be Hataraki Man, that's for sure.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

You should read what's in bold italics on the front page of the Preview Guide. Don't be expecting much of anything from Zac or Bamboo (and probably not much more from Carlo) until Sunday, and that one airs mid-afternoon Thursday.

Carl will eventually be chiming in, too, but probably not until Friday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Based on this chart. This seasons looks like a lot of nada for me. Gatchaman Crowds MIGHT be interesting. Gotta see the execution in action, I hope Crunchyroll gets it.

Other then that, it looks like just more Attack on Titan and waiting on Ghost in the Shell - Arise blu-rays.

Same here. If I find something new to follow from the Summer season I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 73