• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I knew this had something to do with Fist of the North Star. Silly me, I thought it was just a very inspired resemblance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
partysmores

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know when Danganronpa comes out?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Nobody knows when FUNimation simulcasts will show up. Usually takes them at least a week or two.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
I quite enjoyed the first episode of Free!, and I'm hoping that the whole bit of Haruka ripping his clothes off at the slightest hint he'll get to swim is going to be developed into a running gag - because it was quite funny in the first episode alone.

I would love to see that too. It's not even so much that he strips down that's hilarious, but how dramatically he does it. Of course, Rin's got his own flourish going on too.

I still can't quite wrap my head around that ED. Why in the world are they at a dance club with everyone in leather fetish gear and gas masks? oO And that intercut with the search for water in the desert and finding an oasis - which by itself is fine symbolism, but together... wtf? Too funny. Very Happy

I also shared Rebecca's distaste for the dog abuse. It was less that it bothered me in context than that I couldn't stop imagining idiots copying this. Whether they do or not, it still disturbed my perception of the episode.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
^ as a pre-vet student who has helped with treatment of abused dogs and cats I definitely agree. I am fairly sure it will tone down though, and I know he's not really a dog so that helps but still.

Also I get the whole desert thing in the ending for free but then putting in the dance thing and other stuff on top of it... It's to much. I just can't help but feel that the show is trying to hard to almost ram it down our throats that they are bushies and females should want them. To be fair a lot of anime does this though for female characters, it is less noticeable though since I am interested in girls, and it sticks out to me less. if it does well enough on stream I might actually watch some episodes but I don't feel like doing so at this time based on what I have seen from the opening, ending, and previews. I am sure that free will do well and start off a boom of even more female oriented shows (which has been really increasing recently I think).

I just finished Chronicles of the Going Home Club and it was actually quite funny. The show is totally pointless but it was actually a good show. To be fair I LOVED joshiraku and this show has a rather similar (though not as good and sharp) sense of humor. though I would think it would actually be bad if it was.

It is a I want to unwind and have a have a couple of good laughs type show, if you want that then watch it, otherwise move on.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

Also, did UtaPri start some kind of trend with dancing? Both Brothers Conflict and Free! have dancing in the ED...

I would say Haruhi Suzumiya started that trend a long time ago.

Haruhi was several years ago and I can't think of any series soon after it that started incorporating dancing in the ending (or opening) animation, which is why I mentioned UtaPri.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
there was the pole dancing in High School DxD's ending
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Is ANN so hard pressed for licensed art that it resorts to using fanart on pixiv for the banner to this article? You guys are not a fan website and can very well afford to use licensed artwork for your banners.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I still can't quite wrap my head around that ED. Why in the world are they at a dance club with everyone in leather fetish gear and gas masks? oO And that intercut with the search for water in the desert and finding an oasis - which by itself is fine symbolism, but together... wtf? Too funny. Very Happy.

It gets better. If you look closely, that "dance club" appears to be in the pool at the Taj Mahal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Danganronpa is my most anticipated show of this season since I loved the game and the atmosphere. Like some weird fusion of Persona and Gyakuten Saiban.

As a fan of both of those, sounds great will need to check it out. Thanks!

Pleasant surprise on those reviews of the first ep of Dog and Scissors, which I was only curious about since I'm a Gonzo fan, but was expecting it to be terrible based on the premise however it sounds like the first ep was actually not bad/pretty good and had some nice animation, I'll need to check it out now.

Hopefully Silver Spoon is fun since I'm not sure what to expect from it other than that I'll probably love the art style as an FMA fan.

My most anticipated thing by far is definitely the Ghost in the Shell Arise OVAs starting.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
C3-Bu shot up on my importance list after the first episode. Hopefully it'll achieve what Upotte was lacking, and possibly approach GuP's lofty heights for excitement.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

Also, did UtaPri start some kind of trend with dancing? Both Brothers Conflict and Free! have dancing in the ED...

I would say Haruhi Suzumiya started that trend a long time ago.

Haruhi was several years ago and I can't think of any series soon after it that started incorporating dancing in the ending (or opening) animation, which is why I mentioned UtaPri.

Lucky Star?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Man, I couldn't even get through Going Home Club. I stopped watching halfway through...what a dull, annoying show.

Servant x Service was mildly entertaining, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
C3-Bu shot up on my importance list after the first episode. Hopefully it'll achieve what Upotte was lacking, and possibly approach GuP's lofty heights for excitement.

Watching Upotte!! made me feel dirty. Watching C3-Bu (if that's the nickname we're going with) was a joy. It's my first must-watch show of the season, and I cannot recommend it strongly enough.

And Fencedude: If you're just going to antagonize people then don't post at all. There's been plenty enough of that provocative crap in the past in these threads, and I'm serving warning now that it won't be tolerated this time around. Think about why I might have removed your last post before you consider posting something like that again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Watching Upotte!! made me feel dirty. Watching C3-Bu (if that's the nickname we're going with) was a joy. It's my first must-watch show of the season, and I cannot recommend it strongly enough.

It's part of the title, and the most recognizable after the long list of other words. I guess the problem is not getting confused with C3. We could call it STEELLLAAAAAA.

HEY STEELLLAAAAAAAA
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 73