• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Classics on Turner Classics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
So, if that's the case, where's Grave of the Fireflies?

They're only showing ones that Disney has the rights for. CPM got the rights for GotF prior to the Disney deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Never mind. Already mentioned...
herbkir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The interesting thing here is that this action "semi-officially" makes anime and animated films into classic movies. It's a recognition that animation/anime isn't just "cartoons for kids" but is an actual art form that deserves respect.

I wonder if this also might open the way for these films to get showings on Turner's basic-cable networks, like Cartoon Network. TCM is an upper-tier service on a lot of cable systems, or not available at all, so a lot of households with just basic cable will miss these showings. And yes, this is for the U.S. TCM so these films probably won't be showing in the foreign versions of TCM.

I'm a bit surprised that Kiki wasn't mentioned, but maybe it'll be in the final schedule since I think it's covered in the Disney/Ghibli arrangement. (^_*)
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I swear to god, with all the "Erratas" on ANN's part, is it really a viable news source?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I swear to god, with all the "Erratas" on ANN's part, is it really a viable news source?

IMHO yes, but I might be biased.

Why yes?

Flip to page 2 of any major newspaper, you'll see Errata almost every day.

Frankly, every website makes mistakes, what differs is how different websites deal with their mistakes.

We come clean about all our mistakes. I could have easily swept that 11/9 thing under the carpet. Who do you trust more, a site that is forthcoming and honest about its mistakes (without having to be put on the spot) or a site that isn't?

-t
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

IMHO yes, but I might be biased.

Why yes?

Flip to page 2 of any major newspaper, you'll see Errata almost every day.

Frankly, every website makes mistakes, what differs is how different websites deal with their mistakes.

We come clean about all our mistakes. I could have easily swept that 11/9 thing under the carpet. Who do you trust more, a site that is forthcoming and honest about its mistakes (without having to be put on the spot) or a site that isn't?

-t

I prefer a site that does its research before they go and jump the gun.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:11 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I prefer a site that does its research before they go and jump the gun.

Yes, I'd love to be perfect too.

But given that no one is, I prefer to own up to my mistakes.

And there are oh, so many of them: animenewsnetwork.com/archives/news.php?subtopic_id=1519 (an average of 2 per month this year, including those that aren't our mistakes). 22 corrections in 1700 articles.

You can say what you will, even hate ANN for its mistakes, but while I acknowledge that perfection would be better, I'm pretty proud of our record.

-t
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

You can't accuse ANN of that over one mistake. This was an especially minor one since it only appeared once in the article. "Viable news sources" make mistakes sometimes. What makes them "viable news sources" is that they own up to and fix them. There are plenty of news sites (some that you might even consider more "viable" than tempest's or mine) that just ignore their errors and let them sit there.
Usagi04

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:31 am Reply with quote
This is really good news, I have that channel, so it should be interesting to watch. Smile
Nani?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:46 am Reply with quote
You know, the choice of movies and the network is just the sort of thing that starts to change attitudes (not a revolution mind you just a small shift).

All the Best,

Nani?
herbkir

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:31 am Reply with quote
On ANN's accuracy, I'm in the information business myself, and sometimes you just get incorrect information from sources that are usually reliable. People make mistakes. ANN can't spend forever cross-checking sources because they need to get the news out to us while it's still fresh.

The important thing with ANN is that they run corrections and, unlike most media, they make the correction as prominent as the original story.

They make every reasonable effort to ensure accuracy but when screwups happen, they own up to them so we get corrected information. And that makes ANN a more trustworthy news source in my mind. (^_*)
ginzugirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
Heh! I'm just thrilled that the OTHER Turner Network gave anime fans a such a fantastic reprieve from the AS Thursday night schedule of original "comedy" dreck! Personally, I'm praying for a Sunday nite encore of these wonderful anime features!

Now that's Turner's forked over the big bucks (or yen ...), perhaps CN/AS will get a clue and also schedule airtime for some or all of these classics, too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
emory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
TCM is an upper-tier service on a lot of cable systems, or not available at all, so a lot of households with just basic cable will miss these showings.

TCM claims to be in 70,000,000 homes. If you ask me that's a good chunk.
Krenz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
herbkir wrote:
TCM is an upper-tier service on a lot of cable systems, or not available at all, so a lot of households with just basic cable will miss these showings.

TCM claims to be in 70,000,000 homes. If you ask me that's a good chunk.

Yeah, I have TCM as a standard cable channel. You know, the step up from Basic Cable (about 15 channels) to having about 70 channels. No cable box, no nothing. So, I will be watching and setting up the good ol' VCR.

And on the shift of the Attitude regarding anime, I hope this could affect my grandfather's view of animated features. He has made it batantly obvious about how he thinks all "cartoons" are garbage and he has no need to watch immature shows like such. Yet, he gets thrills out of Yes Dear, and Everybody Loves Raymond. That's my Pop for ya. If he sees Miyazaki films on TMC, (which he recently boasted as being a fabulous channel) he'll either be more tolerant of anime features, or denounce TMC and their coniving ways.
scatteredshadows

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Now that I've seen the full lineup that TCM has scheduled, I am even more stunned. If they get very good ratings from these screenings, it could be the start of something huge.

As for accuracy in reporting, no news organization, no matter how venerated, is spotless on even a day to day basis. Look at the recent item concerning the Edmonton newspaper which ran an article online which was fundamentally incorrect. Even worse, look back a few years to the scandals at the New York Times and New Republic magazine. It's indicative of a childish mindset, in which failing to be perfect is grounds for merciless scrutiny, to think it's possible to create an infallible news source.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3