• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looney Toons banner ad: Is the sound clip really necessary?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:
My god, it happened again. I'm sitting here and the goddamn rabbit says his catchphrase again. Seriously, you guys need to get rid of this annoying ad that has nothing to do with anime.

For the last time

1) I can't get rid of the banner, it meets the TOS included in their contract. Future contracts have a new TOS, you won't see ads with sound on mouseover again, but this one is staying till the contract runs out.

2) We permit non-anime advertising and have no reason to not permit it.

-t

So anyone have the e-mail or # to WB Public Relations? Cause i'm in a mood to complain.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
wow, i thought was only one annoyed by this banner. i agree it should be easier to avoid clicking it.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh so that's where the sound came from. I was listening to AOL's radio, and suddenly this freaky laugh came out of nowhere...I figured out it was from hovering on the banner. Although I prefer to have anime related ads, this is fine. It's just good to hear we won't have weird sound just pop out when I move my mouse somewhere, that's all. Scared me for a while.
Asakomi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:57 am Reply with quote
The ad doesn't crash my browser, and the ad itself is fine. But the sound is absolutely ridiculously annoying and makes me not want to load any ANN pages. Of course I don't want to do that because I love coming here, so I put Adblock on high alert. But still, sound clips are never a good idea in my opinion.

I know you've already decided not to allow soundclips from here on in, but I also saw someone else say that not many people have complained, so I thought I'd add myself to the list of complainers.

Maybe other visitors haven't complained because they don't want to register on the forums just to say how annoying the WB ad is.
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Yeah, our TOS states that there can be no sound without user interction, but I haven't decided whether mouse-over is acceptable or not.

If it annoys people I won't allow it again.

-t

Grrr... that "What's up doc?" is really getting annoying. It blaired that line three times back to back while I was at work and I was ready to rip out my speakers.

It's because of ads like this that I use ad blockers on my home computer.
xstylus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
1) I can't get rid of the banner, it meets the TOS included in their contract. Future contracts have a new TOS, you won't see ads with sound on mouseover again, but this one is staying till the contract runs out.

And their contract runs out when? [prepping countdown clock]
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
And their contract runs out when? [prepping countdown clock]

It ran out ages ago, but due to a statistical error, partially my fault, I had to re-run the ad. The second run finished last night.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3