• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo, Nihon Ad Terminate Yu-Gi-Oh! Deal, Sue 4Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:14 am Reply with quote
So I guess 4kids finally got what they deserved. Hope TV Tokyo and Nihon sue their @sses off.
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:27 am Reply with quote
Onrack wrote:
Well if 4Kids does go under from this, it will ease my nagging fear of them licensing Puella Magi Madoka Magica ...

This is back from page 5, but good god, I cannot wrap my mind around incredibly ridiculous and asinine this post is. This is your first post here, and within it, you expressed relief that the possible demise of 4Kids Entertainment will make sure they don't get a hold of Madoka? Clearly you've seen Madoka. There's absolutely no way a company like 4Kids would even come close to picking up that property, much less go through the effort to make all those terrible edits you made up in your head.

What in the name of anything and everything would have driven you to have a "nagging fear" over something as unlikely and unbelievable as even an inkling of that notion? Did you seriously being watching Madoka and just start shivering at the thought that the devil company 4Kids would get a hold of it? Is that really where your mind went first? What is wrong with you? What is wrong with people like you? Oh my god, I think I'm having a stroke.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:47 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Whoa, what in the world? Does this mean 4Kids no longer has rights to Yu-Gi-Oh! in the US? What's going to happen?

That I really really hope is the case. I say the sooner the better.

Cause the sooner the lose the license , the sonner the entire franchise can get the One Piece rescue from another company.

I hope that it's Viz Media will rescue from the horror that was 4kids cause I'll gladly take them over Nelvana cause their even worse than 4kids, and definitely not Section23/Sentai or MB (Media Blasters) cause they'll do a Gintama and give it the sub only treatment.

wandering-dreamer wrote:
....what the heck is exactly going on here? It's the part that involves Funimation that confuses me, I don't remember ever seeing YGO DVDs from them and that seems to be what they're implying here. Anyway, wowza.

Well they've been doing DVDs for 4kids for years. Hopefully this will give them a hard lesson on doing business with them (4kids) since their a massive thorn in our sides for FAR too long.

I hope this lawsuit will be the FINAL nail is 4kids coffin and eventually altogether,the end of 4kids

Baby Naruto wrote:
Does this news mean that the episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's that have not aired english dubbed (Episodes 99-155?), will never air english dubbed now?

(I actually prefer the 4Kids English Dub, despite the heavy edits, cuts, censoring, and script changes)

I can get what your saying. Even though I despise them, at least they treated pokemon right,and I along with most fans would take their case over the PUSA cast,especially when it came to replacing VT as Satoshi

Heck i even watch, their dub of 5D's since it's the only official dub , but even hardcore dubbers like me have their limits, and their destruction of Shaman King was my nail in the coffin for me ,just like what Nelvana did with Cardcaptors Sakura.

Last edited by jr240483 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:

What in the name of anything and everything would have driven you to have a "nagging fear" over something as unlikely and unbelievable as even an inkling of that notion? Is that really where your mind went first? What is wrong with you? What is wrong with people like you? Oh my god, I think I'm having a stroke.

Can I have permission to use this post as a generic copypasta response to internet paranoia? It's beautiful Smile.
Miitan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
Onrack wrote:
Well if 4Kids does go under from this, it will ease my nagging fear of them licensing Puella Magi Madoka Magica ...

This is back from page 5, but good god, I cannot wrap my mind around incredibly ridiculous and asinine this post is. This is your first post here, and within it, you expressed relief that the possible demise of 4Kids Entertainment will make sure they don't get a hold of Madoka? Clearly you've seen Madoka. There's absolutely no way a company like 4Kids would even come close to picking up that property, much less go through the effort to make all those terrible edits you made up in your head.

What in the name of anything and everything would have driven you to have a "nagging fear" over something as unlikely and unbelievable as even an inkling of that notion? Did you seriously being watching Madoka and just start shivering at the thought that the devil company 4Kids would get a hold of it? Is that really where your mind went first? What is wrong with you? What is wrong with people like you? Oh my god, I think I'm having a stroke.

You have to admit that the idea is both horrifying and hilarious at the same time. I'd have predicted 5 minute long episodes where spoiler[Mami and Sayaka were just transferred to the 'Shadow Realm'] and everyone makes up and eats cake afterwards.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
Speaking of the card game, how will the loss of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s anime effect it, you think? I realize, of course, that the card game is under license by Konami. But then, don't most players seem to get into it because of the TV series? Or does it have its own feet firmly planted enough? I mean, if the card game were called Dual Monsters (like it is in Japan) based on the actual card game in the series, maybe people wouldn't have so badly needed the TV series to cause the popularity of the card game.

I dunno, just curious, really.

In my area, the card game is more popular than the anime. There is a little cross over from the game to the anime but losing the anime wouldn't negatively impact the game.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
lightning leo wrote:
Can't say I understand the Funimation resentment, though. They don't butcher series, they listen to fans, they've got pretty good offerings and their prices are reasonable. What's the fuss?

Not all fans.
potassium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
Onrack wrote:

To be perfectly fair, One Piece had plenty more "mature" scenes (death, excessive blood, violence, etc) and that didn't stop them.

The content wouldn't be what would stop them. It would be the length of the show and how it couldn't be merchandised ad infinitum.
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
potassium wrote:
To be perfectly fair, One Piece had plenty more "mature" scenes (death, excessive blood, violence, etc) and that didn't stop them.

The content wouldn't be what would stop them. It would be the length of the show and how it couldn't be merchandised ad infinitum.

Well, One Piece is a shonen show and is kind of designed for a young male audience, so with a little editing, it can be just fine. Madoka is clearly NOT designed for kids, if only with Urobuchi at the helm, so the only way it would "work" is a Casey & Friends scenario that just won't happen.

But we're getting off-topic.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Whoa, what in the world? Does this mean 4Kids no longer has rights to Yu-Gi-Oh! in the US? What's going to happen?

Cause the sooner the lose the license , the sonner the entire franchise can get the One Piece rescue from another company.

I hope that it's Viz Media will rescue from the horror that was 4kids cause I'll gladly take them over Nelvana cause their even worse than 4kids, and definitely not Section23/Sentai or MB (Media Blasters) cause they'll do a Gintama and give it the sub only treatment.

I don't see another company really rescuing Yugioh. The anime doesn't have the mainstream following that Pokemon has, and it doesn't have the hardcore following that would support home video releases.

Syndication is dead (so no more syndicators like 4Kids); broadcast networks don't like Saturday morning cartoons anymore; so the only ones left possible are kid cable networks like Cartoon Network, Nick, or Disney X-D. CN hasn't been as hot on anime in favor of their own (more lucrative) shows. Nick or Disney X-D only have a couple.

potassium wrote:

Yep, that's the big thing here. 4Kids is in the market for merchandise licenses, not to sell home videos. If they can't merchandise it or they can't keep it re-running on TV long enough to keep the brand on the public consciousness, they won't be interested in it.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
This could knock off 30% of CW's Saturday Morning lineup. I guess they'll just have to fill the time with Sonic X reruns. Smile
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Yep, that's the big thing here. 4Kids is in the market for merchandise licenses, not to sell home videos. If they can't merchandise it or they can't keep it re-running on TV long enough to keep the brand on the public consciousness, they won't be interested in it.

So, given that One Piece is a marketing juggernaut in GLORIOUS NIPPON, why did it take them till they lost the license to even produce a prototype of an action figure? If 4Kids was supposed to be this company that merchandised the living daylights outta a property, then why the lack of effort?
potassium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

So, given that One Piece is a marketing juggernaut in GLORIOUS NIPPON, why did it take them till they lost the license to even produce a prototype of an action figure? If 4Kids was supposed to be this company that merchandised the living daylights outta a property, then why the lack of effort?

It's hard to say, but we're not just talking air here. Figures aside, there was merchandise though. I distinctly remember seeing all kinds of One Piece toys at Toys 'R Us.

Quote:
If we can't merchandise it, it really doesn't have a lot of interest for us.

animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2005-04-24/alfred-r-kahn

From Al Kahn himself, from this very website.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
MarzGurl wrote:
Speaking of the card game, how will the loss of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s anime effect it, you think? I realize, of course, that the card game is under license by Konami. But then, don't most players seem to get into it because of the TV series? Or does it have its own feet firmly planted enough? I mean, if the card game were called Dual Monsters (like it is in Japan) based on the actual card game in the series, maybe people wouldn't have so badly needed the TV series to cause the popularity of the card game.

I dunno, just curious, really.

In my area, the card game is more popular than the anime. There is a little cross over from the game to the anime but losing the anime wouldn't negatively impact the game.

Eh, loosing the anime would negatively affect everything about the card game. The most notable thing to be seen would be no newer players. In that sense, the game would run its course to death. An ever expanding game like Yugioh needs new players to keep up with its changes. People drop out simply because of the expansion, which is why more people need to play the game. As people drop off, more will come. Without the anime, how will that work exactly?
The Anagelic One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I think it would more go round the Pokemon route, in that either they dub it themselves or get someone else to dub it. There's a new YGO coming out, so that could be some kind of relaunch. I doubt they would be seeking out any companies to release uncut versions of the Japanese original since the franchise's main goal is to sell cards to kids. Even 4Kids tried to release "uncut" DVDs and subs on Youtube, which failed for whatever reason (Bad DVDs, and some voice actor issue for Yugi).

Something crossed my mind, does this mean we won't see the Dubbed YGO 3D movie on DVD? Will those who went to the cinema to see it will be the only ones? lol.

Quote:
This could knock off 30% of CW's Saturday Morning lineup. I guess they'll just have to fill the time with Sonic X reruns. Smile

Until of course Sega decide they want the license back to produce an uncut version. lol. Anime hyper There's a reason why just about every Sonic cartoon is available on DVD...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10