• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo, Nihon Ad Terminate Yu-Gi-Oh! Deal, Sue 4Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
6Hokage wrote:
ahahaha, oh the irony.

I hope f***nimation and that other crap gonna get closed, oh how i wish.

What's your problem with FUNi? Confused

They dub anime and then have the gall to charge money for it!
Oh, the horror!

Seriously, how many people who blame 4Kids for "ruining" anime can say that they would've gotten into anime without 4Kids? I'm sure like 90% of people who hate 4Kids got into anime BECAUSE of them.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
6Hokage wrote:
ahahaha, oh the irony.

Oh, the horror!

Seriously, how many people who blame 4Kids for "ruining" anime can say that they would've gotten into anime without 4Kids? I'm sure like 90% of people who hate 4Kids got into anime BECAUSE of them.

This is a load of crap. Pokemon and Yughi-Oh weren't the first anime ever released. Anime for adults was being released on VHS like a decade before that.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
People are misinterpreting this article, and well considering how the DVDs sold in the U.S. I'd say Funimation isn't really making money from Yu-Gi-Oh DVDs, since they're out of print now. Since they're not listed in the lawsuit, it's not really about them, it's mainly about 4Kids.
potassium

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:

And I'm not so sure those people wouldn't have ever gotten into anime had it not been for 4Kids, but maybe I can say that because I was one of those kids who grew up watching Pokemon. It seemed like everyone in grade school was, but the thing is not a one of us knew we were watching anime. It was just another cartoon to us.

Sure, our first experience with anime may have been brought to us by 4Kids, but it didn't necessarily get us into watching anime. Most people who regularly watched Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh left their anime experience at that. The others, I don't know is there really anyone out there who can say Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh is the series that got them interested in anime? I've heard that said about Sailor Moon or DBZ, but not actually of those two. Well, if they are out there, I'd be willing to wager they're in the minority, and it's probably just because that's what they saw first. If something like Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh could get them into watching anime, just about anything could, so it was really just a matter of time.

But it looks like that's the best anyone can say about 4Kids anymore. They made a couple mediocre (but fun, granted) titles mainstream.

mglittlerobin wrote:
People are misinterpreting this article, and well considering how the DVDs sold in the U.S. I'd say Funimation isn't really making money from Yu-Gi-Oh DVDs, since they're out of print now. Since they're not listed in the lawsuit, it's not really about them, it's mainly about 4Kids.

It's possible the dvds would have sold better if they had real subtitles instead of dubtitles, though take this speculah as speculah. Still a point worth mentioning I think.

Last edited by potassium on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Talk about kicking them when they're down, but manipulating a deal like that was wrong. They deserve the punishment.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:

I blame Manga Entertainment for getting me into Anime, not 4Shame Entertainment.

Still, this is unexpected. We knew Al Kahn was a snake, but this?
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Ryvius213 wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
6Hokage wrote:
ahahaha, oh the irony.

Oh, the horror!

This is a load of crap. Pokemon and Yughi-Oh weren't the first anime ever released. Anime for adults was being released on VHS like a decade before that.

@JSyxx @Ryuvuis213

You didn't see Zac post regarding quote from the troll again this to everyone who needs to learn about trolling in forums.
Nekusagi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Suddenly it's hilarious in retrospect that after resigning, Al Kahn moved into Bernie Madoff's old place.

potassium wrote:
Ryvius213 wrote:

And I'm not so sure those people wouldn't have ever gotten into anime had it not been for 4Kids, but maybe I can say that because I was one of those kids who grew up watching Pokemon. It seemed like everyone in grade school was, but the thing is not a one of us knew we were watching anime. It was just another cartoon to us.

Sure, our first experience with anime may have been brought to us by 4Kids, but it didn't necessarily get us into watching anime. Most people who regularly watched Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh left their anime experience at that. The others, I don't know is there really anyone out there who can say Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh is the series that got them interested in anime? I've heard that said about Sailor Moon or DBZ, but not actually of those two. Well, if they are out there, I'd be willing to wager they're in the minority, and it's probably just because that's what they saw first. If something like Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh could get them into watching anime, just about anything could, so it was really just a matter of time.

But it looks like that's the best anyone can say about 4Kids anymore. They made a couple mediocre (but fun, granted) titles mainstream.

To be fair, I dabbled in Sailor Moon for a bit when I was little, but it was Pokemon that really sucked me into anime fandom, and watching the dub of Shaman King when it aired on Fox for a while convinced me to broaden my horizons anime-wise. And if you look at Mike's column this week, you'll see they were responsible for a pretty significant haul in the box office with their run on the Pokemon movies. Like it or not, I think they affected anime in the US a lot more than a lot of people are willing to give them credit for.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Late 80's Nick Jr. and Voltron introduced me to anime, and Sci-Fi's early 90's weekend block really got me into it. I'm sure others will say Star Blazers, Speed Racer, or Robotech. Then you've got all the DBZ people. And hundreds/thousands of other possibilities.

I've never seen a Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, or other 4Kids episode in my life. It's silly to assume your story is the same as everyone else's, and 90% sounds like a ridiculously high number pulled out of nowhere. Anime smile

That being said, I don't like any R1 anime company that continually screws with the original uncut Japanese version of a show as much as I hear 4Kids has a habit of doing. I'm not at all sorry to see them heading out the door.

Last edited by Spoofer on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
I really hope that FUNimation doesn't get affected by this

No. Because Funimation is only the distrubutor and co licensor. 4Kids is known for only for licensing thier titles not distributing them. Its 4Kids that will pay, not Funimation. They own the license.
Nekusagi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
Late 80's Nick Jr. and Voltron introduced me to anime, and Sci-Fi's early 90's weekend block really got me into it. I'm sure others will say Star Blazers, Speed Racer, or Robotech. Then you've got all the DBZ people. And thousands of other possibilities.

I've never seen a Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, or other 4Kids episode in my life. It's silly to assume your story is the same as everyone else's, and 90% sounds like a ridiculously high number pulled out of nowhere. Anime smile

That being said, I don't like any R1 anime company that continually screws with the original uncut Japanese versions of a show as much as I hear 4Kids has a habit of doing. I'm not at all sorry to see them heading out the door.

I understand what you're getting at, but for a lot of kids growing up in the late 90s, their first solid anime experiences were from either Digimon, Pokemon, the Fox Kids/4Kids TV block, or YGO. Not all, but a good deal that grew into healthy anime fans later. Not all kids had cable and the luxury of Toonami, and for those kids (myself included) it was probably 4Kids that gave them their first taste of Japanese animation, for better or worse.

I'm not going to miss them. The only parties I feel bad for in this situation are the voice actors who worked with them, because the New York VA crew is made up of some of the sweetest and most professional people ever and it must make them feel terrible to realize they were even party to this.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
6Hokage wrote:
ahahaha, oh the irony.

I hope fucknimation and that other crap gonna get closed, oh how i wish.

You are a self-entitled, spoiled piece of garbage.

I love when people say crap like this, because these companies somehow "ruined" anime. I'm sure you'd love it if there were people out there that specifically tried to make sure you lost your employment. These people have lives and jobs to supplement maintaining those lives. Wishing that these companies fail whilst you sit back, looking all smug because you made an edgy post on the internet using that computer that mommy and daddy probably bought you, is real easy, ain't it?

Couldn't have said it better myself! And really, without FUNimation the Anime Industry would probably be so close to being dead.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of the venom still harkens back to the days of how 4Kids handled One Piece. And to this day, about everyone blames 4Kids for why One Piece isn't much more popular now in the U.S. than it should be.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
My problem with 4Kids was more that they never released uncut editions of their licenses, barring a few rare cases that quickly went out of print. I wont lie; Pokemon and YGO and such were for younger kids. The edits were, at times, excessive, but the kids liked it. I had no problem with those edited versions being shown on TV. The lack of uncensored releases was the real issue.

That said, I only feel for the innocent workers and VAs who had nothing to do with this situation. This was a pretty bad stunt. 4Kids was obligated to contact the Japanese companies. The fact that they didn't is just plain dirty.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Losing Pokemon was disastrous

Losing Ninja Turtles was devastating

Losing Yugioh is decapitation.

I'd say this is the final blow for 4Kids. You can only live off of Sonic X reruns for so long.

Zac wrote:
Dear Everyone,

When there is an obvious troll post (example: 6Hokage's post), please do not quote it over and over and over and over again. It makes it very difficult to scrub it from the thread and you're only adding to the problem.
Feeding forum trolls is like feeding animals at the petting zoo. Some forum posters just can't help it. They're so adorable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10