• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo, Nihon Ad Terminate Yu-Gi-Oh! Deal, Sue 4Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Yikers, bad news for 4Kids. I enjoyed Pokemon back in the day, but after that ferociously atrocious One Piece dub we respectfully went our separate ways.

This alleged underhanded dealing, too, is not cool.

Can't say I understand the Funimation resentment, though. They don't butcher series, they listen to fans, they've got pretty good offerings and their prices are reasonable. What's the fuss?

Ohhhh I see... it's the hissy whines of prepubescent pirates, desperately grasping for justification. Rolling Eyes Good luck with that "growing up" thing, kids.

Or, you could check out Funi's One Piece release and see how real pirates roll. Razz
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
I wonder if they named funimation as an uncharged conspirator in order to avoid something alone the lines of status of limitation or damage caps.

A lot of the time when things are considered a conspiracy the US legal system gives you more lee way with a lot of different things from my understanding.

In a criminal trial, maybe, but this is a civil lawsuit. Very different set of rules apply. Either you're named in a lawsuit, or you're not.

Normally I would accuse people of choosing sides too early, but when a Japanese company goes to the trouble and expense of suing a company in America, it's usually with very good reason. That's an expensive, uncertain and time/resources-consuming endeavor, and unlike American companies, they don't tend to do it lightly.
Warstar77

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
i hope 4kids got the yugioh right back for fans and pay them back money they owe them and i think it goes like this 4kids say there sorry the pay give them 10 million dollars as settlement and 4kids have give some of there sharings to them got it back
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I for one wish the Japanese all the best on this one, 4Kids has always seemed pretty shady to me and this does not surprise me one bit. Considering how much trouble it is to bring a lawsuit like this I would imagine they have a good case against them.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
6Hokage wrote:
ahahaha, oh the irony.

I hope [Funimation] and that other crap gonna get closed, oh how i wish.

So you're saying you approve of piracy? Please stop watching "free Anime" then as you are a waste of space.

I'm curious as to why the company is now suing 4Kids. Didn't 4Kids buy the rights to Yu-Gi-Oh! almost 10 years ago? If 4Kids weren't paying up what they owed then the Japanese company should have sued them ages ago. This is sounding pretty fishy to me. But, as jsevakis has put, they probably have their reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
6Hokage wrote:
ahahaha, oh the irony.

I hope [Funimation] and that other crap gonna get closed, oh how i wish.

So you're saying you approve of piracy? Please stop watching "free Anime" then as you are a waste of space.

I'm curious as to why the company is now suing 4Kids. Didn't 4Kids buy the rights to Yu-Gi-Oh! almost 10 years ago? If 4Kids weren't paying up what they owed then the Japanese company should have sued them ages ago. This is sounding pretty fishy to me. But, as jsevakis has put, they probably have their reasons.
it may have taken them time to notice something was going on. but even if they picked up that something fishy was going on it still can take a lot of time to get enough proof to back up a lawsuit.
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I smile when I hear bad news about 4kids Very Happy
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the many 4Kids haters out there are laughing themselves to death over this and are actually hoping they do close down.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:

Maybe they just discovered the issue? Or maybe there's other reasons? We won't find out for a good while [if we do find out] given how long this sort of stuff takes. I do wonder if this has been in the worlds since Funimation stopped distributing 4kids titles back in 2008/09 though.

I know the japanese rights holders of the Yu Gi Oh card game [Konami] took Upper Deck to court over the franchise awhile ago, and have since taken over the franchise entirely http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/

I wonder if TV Tokyo has any plans in place for when the get back the rights to YuGiOh? While not as insanely popular as in the past, it's still a pretty big franchise. There's a wide array of fans still playing that game. Will they pull a Pokemon USA and distribute it themselves? Given the show's TV placement was on a 4Kids owned network, you'd think they had a plan for that.

Thankfully, VIZ's books shouldn't be affected since they are the publisher in Japan too, technically, and the franchise originated with the manga.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Everyone seems to be ignoring my
Quote:
they probably have their reasons.
quote.

-_-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Normally I would accuse people of choosing sides too early, but when a Japanese company goes to the trouble and expense of suing a company in America, it's usually with very good reason. That's an expensive, uncertain and time/resources-consuming endeavor, and unlike American companies, they don't tend to do it lightly.

This.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the card game, how will the loss of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s anime effect it, you think? I realize, of course, that the card game is under license by Konami. But then, don't most players seem to get into it because of the TV series? Or does it have its own feet firmly planted enough? I mean, if the card game were called Dual Monsters (like it is in Japan) based on the actual card game in the series, maybe people wouldn't have so badly needed the TV series to cause the popularity of the card game.

I dunno, just curious, really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow dude, that is just stupid.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
The only way I can see FUNimation getting pulled into this is if they were to be treated like common media pirates... turning profit for other people's properties.

But then again, they could have just been a service payed for by 4Kids in which case they aren't guilty for doing anything other than doing what they were paid to do.

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding the situation, but I don't see this as a big threat to FUNimation.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Nevermind 4kids. Win, lose, or die, they don't concern me.

The question is, did Funimation know. It doesn't matter if they can't be held legally responsible, if Funimation knowingly helped to defraud the Japanese companies, they won't be getting licenses anymore, needless to say. (And rightly not, if that's true.)

Whatever the case, this is seriously bad for both sides of the industry...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10