• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Lab (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
Maki sure does take everything the wrong way Laughing Poor Yan/Masaomi just can't seem to catch a break whenever she's around.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12
Hmm....

So spoiler[Yan misunderstood the situation of Maki's name from the very beginning.] *sigh*. Speaking of Maki, she still has that anxiety around boys not that I'm surprised about. I think what Maki is surprised about though is at the very ending of this episode. The look on her face tells me that she overheard that conversation regarding Riko....

Now the question is how she will respond to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the animation B team took on this episode. The style was different from the usual stuff. It had lots of actual animation, but it was not the soft, rounded style that the show usually has. Fun episode. There were lots of moments where spoiler[Riko thought her facade was found out by Maki, until it actually happened at the end.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

"spoiler[I'm glad she didn't hear that]." Riko is not too spoiler[great at reading people] is she. It was spoiler[obvious from her tone of voice and trying act in a way that changed the subject that she totally heard].

It looks like Riko's childhood friend had a bit of a reputation as being one of the girls just as Riko was stuck as one of the guys. Also, Maki might well have to spoiler[apologise to Yan over what she said to him, but at the same time he also hurt her], I knew that she was going to spoiler[end up crying as she excused herself]. Actually some subtlety done with Maki's voice here.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

I really felt the emotions in that one. So many tears for a comedy, but I was okay with it.

Overall I rate it Good, there was not quite enough to have me deeply involved in it, but definitely worth watching.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
very enjoyable comedy this season. I'd love to see more but vol 1 sales are rather low. Very Good
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I rated this very good because it had the fun in it and I enjoyed the fun ride.

Some of the slightly more emotional moments were covered in the finale although I still got the comedy mood out of it.

No more love experiments makes me sad ;.;.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
very enjoyable comedy this season. I'd love to see more but vol 1 sales are rather low.

Not sure why I keep seeing this. Even before it added its second week, the sales were still pretty decent. Now on the Oricon charts it has totaled 4,667 copies. That's not bad at all given its circumstances. For example, let's take another comedy anime from the same season, Servant x Service which had its first anime volume sell 5,375 copies. Even without the Working!! (or Wagnaria) connection, the SxS manga had 70k copies sold with its last manga volume. That's quite a sizable audience. Compare that to Love Lab, which although has 9 volumes has never once charted on the Oricon manga list, meaning it has a much smaller audience with a maximum cap of about 20,000. So even though Love Lab had a much smaller pre-established audience, the work done by Dogakobo excelled so much that it sold almost as much as a title which had a much larger fanbase.

So while Love Lab may or may not get a continuation, it definitely did much better than anybody ever thought such an obscure manga to anime adaptation which defies plenty of 4koma and cute-girls-doing-cute-things standards would do.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
getchman wrote:
very enjoyable comedy this season. I'd love to see more but vol 1 sales are rather low.

Not sure why I keep seeing this. Even before it added its second week, the sales were still pretty decent..

Can you link a site of recent sales? All I find is early 2013 sales.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Are you asking about Love Lab sales or sales in general? Love Lab's recent second week sales can be found in this forum post which lists the most recent week's BD and DVD sales.

That thread in general is used to cover Oricon sales figures for all of 2013 so it has gotten quite large.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Are you asking about Love Lab sales or sales in general? Love Lab's recent second week sales can be found in this forum post which lists the most recent week's BD and DVD sales.

That thread in general is used to cover Oricon sales figures for all of 2013 so it has gotten quite large.

Thanks. Wow besides Attack on Titan, Free! has the most sales. I guess Japan has a lot of fan girls.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
I just caught up and finished this last night.

Short review: Those Silly Girls.

Deeper thoughts: for me this really worked as a comedy -- Riko and Maki's interactions served up something new and genuinely funny at points. What they really did right is that each girl in the ensemble got multiple turns at being either the fool or the straight man in the joke. I'm rating this higher than you guys: a little bit better than Very Good. Every episode had at least one LOL moment and often more.

Yet Deeper Thoughts: I know this was supposed to be light-hearted comedy but it also turned out to be a case study of what happens when you try to totally sexually repress girls in the interest of keeping them "pure." Basically they go on being naive children far too long and end up worse than ill-prepared to deal with the real world when they have to. Surely many people would regard Maki's dad as "strict but caring" but I have to suspect he is just an asshole more concerned about his social standing than the development of his daughter. I am curious about how the older daughter ended up with a more firm perspective. Oh, well -- that whole academy is full of girls in the same fix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5