• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga, Tezuka Pro Team Up to Release Entire Tezuka Library in N. America

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
medama_oyaji wrote:
Some of these questions were also answered on Deb Aoki's Twitter feed.

Quote:
Tezuka Productions acknowledged & verbally OK'd @digitalmanga's download-to-own digital publishing model

DRM-Free Tezuka? *falls down dead from happiness*
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little concerned that this might make a monopoly on Tezuka titles, I really like Vertical's Tezuka releases and would hate to see them not be able to release more (though the DMP Tezuka titles I have are also very good). And Kansai Club just started up and would want to do more Tezuka titles, does this mean they wouldn't be able to? Or is DMP kinda the gate keeper and would let other people do Tezuka titles they're ok with passing on for print (while still maybe owning the digital)? At the same time, Phoenix and other OOP titles getting printed again would be epic.

Hopefully digital sales will result in some of the more popular/desired ones getting print releases for those of us who don't do digital.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
medama_oyaji wrote:
grooven wrote:
Would this include Kimba/Jungle Taitei??????

According to this Tweet from Deb Aoki it DOES! https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/352946352206012416

Oh man, this is awesome. Of course I'd prefer print, but wow!

Are you serious???? This is like the best news ever!! I just hope that it gets a proper translation in the US. Vertical had been wanting to release this title but the rights were always hard to get due possibly to the Tezuka estate and probably the content. But this is EXCELLENT news!! Definitely going to be a series that libraries are going to want to get on as well as fans of interest. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm a little concerned that this might make a monopoly on Tezuka titles, I really like Vertical's Tezuka releases and would hate to see them not be able to release more (though the DMP Tezuka titles I have are also very good). And Kansai Club just started up and would want to do more Tezuka titles, does this mean they wouldn't be able to? Or is DMP kinda the gate keeper and would let other people do Tezuka titles they're ok with passing on for print (while still maybe owning the digital)? At the same time, Phoenix and other OOP titles getting printed again would be epic.

Hopefully digital sales will result in some of the more popular/desired ones getting print releases for those of us who don't do digital.

Hasn't Vertical said that they've already published all or most of the Tezuka they want? I'd love for them to do more too, but they might be out of the Tezuka game.

Yeah, I wonder about this as well. Even if DMP has to bid along with everyone else for print rights, this deal had to have strengthened their bonds with Tezuka Pro and they may get preference.

I think DMP is awesome and I thought the Unico book turned out super great, but they don't seem to be creating the same premium packaging that Vertical gave Tezuka's books, and that Kansai Club promises too (we'll see! I still have high hopes for those guys despite the issues with their KS). It will be really interesting to see how the world of Tezuka in print changes.

We've GOTTA get Jungle Emperor in print though, right? RIGHT??
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
medama_oyaji wrote:
Some of these questions were also answered on Deb Aoki's Twitter feed.

Quote:
Tezuka Productions acknowledged & verbally OK'd @digitalmanga's download-to-own digital publishing model

Well that's a first.

Really hope this takes off. Having easy access to all of Tezuka's works would be incredible.
Fuzzy Pickles!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
I was not expecting this at ALL.

Really hoping we get a decent translation here for digital. If this app is actually good and doesn't suffer from so many problems like Tezuka's app normally do, then I'll definitely download this.
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
BEST NEWS EVER
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2