• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Fate/Zero on BD/DVD with Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:
^Amazon has been selling multi region Blu-ray players for years. Somebody stop them !

1. What I was trying to get at in my comment (which, based on your hyperbolic comment, you didn't bother to ACTUALLY READ) was that Godaistudios mentioned "legal alternatives" and "region free blu-ray players" in the same sentence, which, based on the fact that region free players are in a gray area at best with regards to legality (no company makes, nor are they legally allowed to produce, region free players (individuals who sell the players in question buy normal players and hack them to make them region-free)) , makes that statement contradictory (not that hard to figure out).

2. Aaaannnddd? Amazon doesn't give a crap about what is being sold on their site by the third-party sellers (which they are not accountable for), legal or illegal. Just because the players are sold through a "legitimate" site like Amazon, doesn't mean that they are legal or that the people who buy and sell them are on solid legal ground.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:
A sane price is somewhere around what the others are asking for (Funimation, Sentai,etc.). I think my opinion is shared by a lot of people.

Yeah, no. What is "sane" with regards to price is subjective. What is "sane" with regards to price is the amount of money any one individual is comfortable with paying for a release, which can vary wildly (especially within the US Anime fan community). At the end of the day, AoA has every right to charge what it wants for releases (even if it is higher than what other companies would charge for series). They are not obligated nor required to offer shows at bargain basement Sentai/Funimation prices, nor are fans entitled to purchase shows from them at those prices (Anime is a luxury and a "want" not a necessity nor a "need"). Ultimately, the Anti-AoA people can go around and around about how AoA's pricing isn't "fair" or that they are "evil and greedy" for not targeting everyone in the community with "everything-for-nothing" releases for as long as they want, but the reality is that Aniplex of America's strategy is working for them and they are intent on keeping it (translation: having a collective tantrum over their pricing for the billionth time or starting the AoA pricing shi%storm debate every single time a AoA related news article pops up will not change anything and is a waste of time).
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
You can't brush aside people thinking the price is way overboard when every anime distributor has great pricing and affordability. I can see the case being made for the price but I can see price as a huge problem. Have some empathy here.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I better sell my car to afford this................
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:
Blood- wrote:
"AoA is doing quite well with their business model. Sure it means that many of their products are priced beyond what I can justify spending, but as long as they are doing well, that's all I care about!" What kind of effwad thinks that way?

A mature person able to separate themselves from their minute Earthly desires for owning expensive cartoons and view situations from the point of view of the companies?

Rolling Eyes My concern for a company's ability to make extra profits only extends to those that are prepared to keep their pricing structure within industry norms. I prize anime distribs for their products, but if the only way they could stay in business is to offer titles at $300 for a two-cours show, I would cease to be an anime purchaser. Fortunately for me, right now there is only one R1 distrib that can't apparently operate any other way. Rolling Eyes
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
no company makes, nor are they legally allowed to produce, region free players

This statement is not true.

Both DVD and Bluray players are region-free by design. The difference is at the final stage of production, software is installed into the device which locks in the capability of playing region disks.

If a disk contains a region restriction, the software will reject it if the regions do not match but will play any disk if there is no region code.

It only takes a search on Google to learn how to disable region locking on these players.
solarsun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not justifying AoA's pricing scheme. I find it crazy high (chances are we're looking at Durarara pricing for these sets).

But I WILL justify the 'boohoo I spent 800 bucks on the first IMPORT edition set and now I'm feeling bad'. I had a nerd argument on their facebook page with someone who stated that 'they're releasing these 800 set so therefor they won't release another version here because it'll cause butthurt'. My statement was 'It's being sold as an IMPORT set, not our DOMESTIC release. There is a very good chance that we'll see a domestic release a few years down the road because of how they are selling it.'

AoA are trying to hit the people in the US that would have bought the import sets by making it easier for them to import it (without the use of amazon.jp or a reshipper). The rightstuf page had it very clearly described as an IMPORT set. When I saw the announcement of the dub cast it sold me that indeed there would be a domestic release for it.

Seriously stop your complaining about it. It was marked as an import set. AoA never made an announcement that it would be the ONLY set. This was the only way to get a US street date for the die hard fans without reverse importation fears the DAY OF release in Japan+. The way the US and Japan does their physical media markets are different and have different pricing schemes. Sure chances are their US release will be along the lines of 149 dollars minimum for the set but its gonna be waaaay less then the 800 for the original Japanese set (which is gorgeous btw, I don't own one but I did get to see one at a con in April). You were warned by the big fat IMPORT label on it.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
You can't brush aside people thinking the price is way overboard when every anime distributor has great pricing and affordability.

Yes I can. It's called having a difference of opinion and not buying their BS "Aniplex of America isn't being fair for charging $280 for a show (even though I am able to afford the latest crap from apple for $600)" sob story. It is an example of fan entitlement at its worst, and I am not going to agree with it when I know deep down that it is incorrect and wrong.

Quote:
Have some empathy here.

I don't think so. Like I said in my previous post, people are NOT entitled to own these shows. Anime is not a necessity like food or water, and as such, people are not entitled to the ability to buy shows on the cheap, nor are companies required to offer series at whatever crazy, bargain basement price that the fans want (if you truly want a non-essential product that a company is offering, then you have to pay what the company wants for it (that is just how the free-market system works). Additionally, I refuse to have empathy and sympathy for people who oppose the idea of buying a show because its $250, but are more than willing to spend several times that on other non-essential items, such as designer clothes, electronics, shoes, etc. (you really get a glimpse at how little certain people value Anime when they have that kind of attitude). Rolling Eyes

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Shiratori1 wrote:
no company makes, nor are they legally allowed to produce, region free players

This statement is not true.

Both DVD and Bluray players are region-free by design. The difference is at the final stage of production, software is installed into the device which locks in the capability of playing region disks.

If a disk contains a region restriction, the software will reject it if the regions do not match but will play any disk if there is no region code.

It only takes a search on Google to learn how to disable region locking on these players.

....no company is legally allowed to produce DVD or Blu-Ray players that do not feature region restricting software.

HAPPY?! Rolling Eyes

At the end of the day, the fact that DVD/Blu-Ray players are region free at the very beginning of production is a moot point. The reality still remains that companies are not legally allowed to ship them from their production facilities without region blocking technology. Additionally, the fact still remains that players that are hacked to circumvent that technology, the people that do the hacking and selling of such players, and the people who buy them are all on legal ground that is shaky at best (your statement does nothing to disprove or challenge that). Ultimately, to end this tangent and get back on point (sort of (lol)), Godaistudios putting "region-free Blu-ray players" and "legal" in the same sentence is a contradiction.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
Reliak wrote:
I liked Fate/Zero, but not $300-level liked so it'll be the DVDs for me!

(Ha, everyone is still so angry about AoA. When are people going to just move on with their lives?)

I'm not so much angry as I'm disappointed. I have my own reasons for being slightly jaded, but it's less to do with anime and more to do with personal experiences and pet peeves. That said, I think it's worth looking into valid, legal alternatives. This is why I strongly recommend looking into a region free blu ray player.............

COMPLETE contradiction (lol)! Laughing

Quote:
Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

I'll leave it. Rolling Eyes

I've investigated this, and region free blu ray players are not illegal, and some have even been manufactured this way without modification. The modified ones may void a warranty, but I've seen nothing that makes them illegal. There is no contradiction. If you are going to disagree with me, please do two things:

1) Actually know what you are talking about
and
2) Quote a valid source that shows me why I'm supposedly wrong. You say no company can make a player that is region free, however I've found unmodified players that are unlocked. You seem to think you know something the rest of us don't. By all means quote your source of information.

Quote:
no company is legally allowed to produce DVD or Blu-Ray players that do not feature region restricting software.

source?

Quote:
The reality still remains that companies are not legally allowed to ship them from their production facilities without region blocking technology. Additionally, the fact still remains that players that are hacked to circumvent that technology, the people that do the hacking and selling of such players, and the people who buy them are all on legal ground that is shaky at best (your statement does nothing to disprove or challenge that).

Again, source?

Your assertion would mean that this is some kind of international law as these players are manufactured outside the United States - but I've found no such law or anything even in the DMCA to support your assertion.

Your assertion that I'm making a contradiction would be served if you could actually show this, but your statements have done nothing to prove or challenge my own position; at best you are posturing, not providing an argument.

Things I did find:

1) region free players are not illegal in Austrailia as evidenced by this article - while it's not the US, it isn't a 3rd world country either
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/blogs/gadgets-on-the-go/are-regionfree-dvd-players-legal-20120201-1qs42.html

2) Momitsu and Seiki have made unmodified players out of the box that could play region free, and Kogan will provide the software code to unlock their players - your statements that it's somehow a "gray area" do not hold up. It's either legal, or it's not.

Last edited by Godaistudios on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
solarsun wrote:
When I saw the announcement of the dub cast it sold me that indeed there would be a domestic release for it.

Except that wasn't that dub commissioned by Neon Alley? It certainly gave Aniplex more reason to do a domestic release later, but I don't think that there was ever any guarantee that there would ever be a domestic release - especially on Blu-ray. I believe that Fate/Zero is the first case where they've actually done a Blu-ray domestic release after having done a Blu-ray import release, and I think that the only other case thus far where they've done a DVD domestic release of something that they previously did an import release for was The Garden of Sinners. All of the other re-releases have been domestic Blu-ray releases of stuff that was previously only released as a domestic DVD release.

So personally, I'd say that you're overly optimistic to think that we stand a good chance of getting a domestic release from Aniplex after having had an import release. In this case, we are getting a domestic Blu-ray release after having had an import Blu-ray release, but Aniplex's history thus far doesn't really support the assumption that they're definitely going to do a domestic release after having done an import release. We just got lucky in this case.

It would be great if in the long run, they start doing domestic Blu-ray releases for everything that they initially release as imports, but IMHO they're too inconsistent in what they've done thus far to be able to reasonably assume anything about what they'll release as a domestic release after they've released it as an import.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:13 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Yes I can. It's called having a difference of opinion and not buying their BS "Aniplex of America isn't being fair for charging $280 for a show (even though I am able to afford the latest crap from apple for $600)" sob story. It is an example of fan entitlement at its worst, and I am not going to agree with it when I know deep down that it is incorrect and wrong.

I don't think so. Like I said in my previous post, people are NOT entitled to own these shows. Anime is not a necessity like food or water, and as such, people are not entitled to the ability to buy shows on the cheap, nor are companies required to offer series at whatever crazy, bargain basement price that the fans want (if you truly want a non-essential product that a company is offering, then you have to pay what the company wants for it (that is just how the free-market system works). Additionally, I refuse to have empathy and sympathy for people who oppose the idea of buying a show because its $250, but are more than willing to spend several times that on other non-essential items, such as designer clothes, electronics, shoes, etc. (you really get a glimpse at how little certain people value Anime when they have that kind of attitude). Rolling Eyes

I can agree to a point that it is the free market and all, but you're projecting a lot on what kind of disposable income people can have. And that not all of supporting anime means going flat broke whenever a new show is released. One can even download or stream shows for dollars per episode and they still directly contribute to the industry.

I for one can't really afford shows with a huge dump of pricing. I once used to, but it wasn't a feasible way of spending my money personally. I'm not sure where you're going with the entire 'essential' discussion, but I just wish there was a leaner way of supporting the industry and getting a show without breaking the bank every time. I don't mean to say it like I have the "right" to own a show, but rather that I would rather love to support it in ways that don't outright empty a wallet every time.

But again, I do understand the niche nature of the anime disc market and I don't begrudge it. I just wished there was as happy medium where the pricing wasn't so high and where more people are willing to cover the lowering cost with more sales. That would be ideal, even if it may not be the reality as of now. That said, I'd be lying if I said I don't truly appreciate Nippon Ichi Software or Sentai's ways of handling disc releases at very reasonable prices (again, for me anyway).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:48 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:
You can't brush aside people thinking the price is way overboard when every anime distributor has great pricing and affordability.

What an utterly moronic statement. Obviously fan entitlement at its worst are those people who feel anime should be free and therefore only ever download/stream fansubs. Objecting to paying - in some cases - WELL OVER industry standards is not expressing an entitlement. What idiots fail to understand is that purchasers of physical media are a shrinking tribe (in all forms of entertainment, not just anime). Many of us who don't like AoA prices do spend a fair amount of our disposable income on anime. We are more than prepared to pay the going rate. AoA is in a good position to exploit an inelastic, small group of anime collectors who are willing to pay top dollar. What's good for AoA is not good for the industry as a whole or for non-"I'll pay anything!" consumers. Maybe there are dough-heads out there who don't care if the only group of purchasers left are the tiny band of "charge whatever you want!" types, but anyone who actually wants as many titles as humanly possible available for physical home release would.
solarsun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
solarsun wrote:
When I saw the announcement of the dub cast it sold me that indeed there would be a domestic release for it.

Except that wasn't that dub commissioned by Neon Alley? It certainly gave Aniplex more reason to do a domestic release later, but I don't think that there was ever any guarantee that there would ever be a domestic release - especially on Blu-ray. I believe that Fate/Zero is the first case where they've actually done a Blu-ray domestic release after having done a Blu-ray import release, and I think that the only other case thus far where they've done a DVD domestic release of something that they previously did an import release for was The Garden of Sinners. All of the other re-releases have been domestic Blu-ray releases of stuff that was previously only released as a domestic DVD release.

So personally, I'd say that you're overly optimistic to think that we stand a good chance of getting a domestic release from Aniplex after having had an import release. In this case, we are getting a domestic Blu-ray release after having had an import Blu-ray release, but Aniplex's history thus far doesn't really support the assumption that they're definitely going to do a domestic release after having done an import release. We just got lucky in this case.

It would be great if in the long run, they start doing domestic Blu-ray releases for everything that they initially release as imports, but IMHO they're too inconsistent in what they've done thus far to be able to reasonably assume anything about what they'll release as a domestic release after they've released it as an import.

The other thing that told me that this would get a domestic release was the fact it's apart of fate/stay night which seems to be a fairly big money maker WOLRD wise. My Geneon complete first season set became oop quickly and was selling for hundreds on ebay till Sentai picked up the rights to rerelease it. They also dubbed the movie. Sentai doesn't dub things that won't make the money back so it was a good call on my part with all that info that fate/zero would get a dub and would get a domestic release. I still think their pricing scheme for domestic stuff is crap but that's another argument entirely (though it hopefully will follow what they have been doing at around 149 which isn't THAT far above what funimation/sentai charges for brand new, never been seen stateside sets).
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
What I find interesting about AoA is how they think they can "ride a wave of excellent titles" and think most fans will love all those anime enough to pay expensive prices.

I think most of their collection isn't that great

Only Fate/Zero is a must buy and the first half of Blue Exorcist.

Garden of Sinners is pretty good too.

Everything else is nothing special or overrated junk.

Their well is drying up fast and the new stuff they've licensed doesn't seem that great either. Probably why they decided to start dubbing some of their more mainstream type titles with Viz Media/Neon Alley's help.

I won't be surprised if in two years they become the new Media Blasters (licensing stuff no one cares about) and start to slowly collapse.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
The Gatari series, Sword Art Online, and Madoka fall in with what you listed, even if you don't agree. What they can't do the AoA pricing scheme for would be a low budget comedy series that no one really seems to care for. The idea is to target high profile anime because those will have larger and more robust fanbases, regardless of show quality on the critical level. As long as a determined hit anime is produce in Japan under Aniplex every other season or so, that will sustain AoA's activities. It seems the only thing that would do them in is a string of constant Aniplex bombs in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9