• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Fate/Zero on BD/DVD with Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
What an utterly moronic statement. Obviously fan entitlement at its worst are those people who feel anime should be free and therefore only ever download/stream fansubs. Objecting to paying - in some cases - WELL OVER industry standards is not expressing an entitlement. What idiots fail to understand is that purchasers of physical media are a shrinking tribe (in all forms of entertainment, not just anime). Many of us who don't like AoA prices do spend a fair amount of our disposable income on anime. We are more than prepared to pay the going rate. AoA is in a good position to exploit an inelastic, small group of anime collectors who are willing to pay top dollar. What's good for AoA is not good for the industry as a whole or for non-"I'll pay anything!" consumers. Maybe there are dough-heads out there who don't care if the only group of purchasers left are the tiny band of "charge whatever you want!" types, but anyone who actually wants as many titles as humanly possible available for physical home release would.

1. Fans demanding and insisting that releases be sold for a certain amount (regardless if that amount allows the company that releases the content to be financially successful and do future releases) and that they have a right to buy shows for what other companies are charging IS fan entitlement (by having those opinions, one is effectively saying that they have a right to buy shows (i.e.: a product that they didn't make) for whatever price they think is "fair" (they don't)).

2. I'm not going to even bother responding to the rest of your post, due to the fact that it is nothing but emotionally charged, insult-filled rhetoric that is coming from an individual who is clearly pissed and irked that not everyone within the community happens to share his opinion with regards to this issue. Your statement, save for the portion that I responded to, does nothing but add more hyperbolic and irrational statements to the universe that is the AoA Pricing Sh%tstorm/debate. If you want me to actually take your argument seriously, I suggest that you drop the emotion and make your argument without insulting the people and opinions that don't agree with you (If that's too much to ask, then don't expect me to give a serious response (if one at all) to your next post). Rolling Eyes
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
solarsun wrote:
The other thing that told me that this would get a domestic release was the fact it's apart of fate/stay night which seems to be a fairly big money maker WOLRD wise. My Geneon complete first season set became oop quickly and was selling for hundreds on ebay till Sentai picked up the rights to rerelease it. They also dubbed the movie. Sentai doesn't dub things that won't make the money back so it was a good call on my part with all that info that fate/zero would get a dub and would get a domestic release.

Sure, those are good reasons for Aniplex to re-release Fate/Zero, but they could have easily re-released it just on DVD (like they did with The Garden of Sinners), and if Neon Alley hadn't forked out for the dub, Aniplex may or may not have chosen to get it dub themselves. It's easy enough to come up with good reasons for Aniplex to choose to re-release a series domestically or why it would be worth their while to get it dubbed.

What I'm pointing it is that their history thus far doesn't support the assumption that they'll choose to re-release something domestically later. They might, or they might not. The fact that we think that it makes sense for them do so doesn't make it so that they're going to, and this is the first time that they've released a series on Blu-ray domestically when it was only released as an import before. So, I think that it's pure optimism to have thought that it would happen this time or that it'll happen in the future. It did in this particular case, and it may in the future, but Aniplex has yet to create a pattern of re-releasing their imported series domestically later, even on DVD, let alone on Blu-ray. If anything, their history thus far indicates that they're unlikely to do so.

So obviously, you're free to predict whatever you want about what Aniplex is or isn't going to do, and you may even end up being right, but you really don't have much in the way of Aniplex's past history to base your predications on. Based on their past history, we got really lucky this time.
solarsun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
solarsun wrote:
The other thing that told me that this would get a domestic release was the fact it's apart of fate/stay night which seems to be a fairly big money maker WOLRD wise. My Geneon complete first season set became oop quickly and was selling for hundreds on ebay till Sentai picked up the rights to rerelease it. They also dubbed the movie. Sentai doesn't dub things that won't make the money back so it was a good call on my part with all that info that fate/zero would get a dub and would get a domestic release.

Sure, those are good reasons for Aniplex to re-release Fate/Zero, but they could have easily re-released it just on DVD (like they did with The Garden of Sinners), and if Neon Alley hadn't forked out for the dub, Aniplex may or may not have chosen to get it dub themselves. It's easy enough to come up with good reasons for Aniplex to choose to re-release a series domestically or why it would be worth their while to get it dubbed.

What I'm pointing it is that their history thus far doesn't support the assumption that they'll choose to re-release something domestically later. They might, or they might not. The fact that we think that it makes sense for them do so doesn't make it so that they're going to, and this is the first time that they've released a series on Blu-ray domestically when it was only released as an import before. So, I think that it's pure optimism to have thought that it would happen this time or that it'll happen in the future. It did in this particular case, and it may in the future, but Aniplex has yet to create a pattern of re-releasing their imported series domestically later, even on DVD, let alone on Blu-ray. If anything, their history thus far indicates that they're unlikely to do so.

So obviously, you're free to predict whatever you want about what Aniplex is or isn't going to do, and you may even end up being right, but you really don't have much in the way of Aniplex's past history to base your predications on. Based on their past history, we got really lucky this time.

True enough. Aniplex does what it wants honestly. I read somewhere that Aniplex itself was created so that Sony could throw anime they thought was worth more then the US market was going to offer them and they could sell it at what ever price they saw fit.

Either way as we've seen just because it says IMPORT on it doesn't mean that it'll be the only set but at the same case Aniplex has shown that sometimes that IS the only set. Though those sets would have been available with our without Aniplex bringing them over, they are glorified import sets after all. You'd just need an amazon.jp account or a reshipper to get them. I don't own any import blu ray sets yet (but I have priced them so yeah I know the price of what Japan buys theirs at).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9