• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Fate/Zero on BD/DVD with Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razisgosu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:42 am Reply with quote
No thanks Aniplex. Not with your pricing.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
Ugggggggggggggg. Bought the import box, but the English cast looks fabulous. Double dipping hurts so bad. Anime dazed
methedemon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
no thanks
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
cloud1989 wrote:
I wonder if they will offer any special deal to those who spent the insane $700 to own the series already, it would kind of be a slap in the face if they don't.

Prepare to be slapped. They always advertised that as an import for only the hardest of hardcore fans. If you want to pay domestic prices then don't buy the import version. It will be priced like an import... because it's an import.

Fate/Zero aired last year and the domestic release is coming this year. It's not even like you had to wait a long time or anything.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Actually that was the other pleasant surprise for me was how short the wait between import and domestic release of F/Z was: basically 18 months. We had to wait almost two years for a domestic release of KnK.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
*crosses fingers* Please be less than $200. Please be less than $200. Please be less than $200.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
*crosses fingers* Please be less than $200. Please be less than $200. Please be less than $200.

prices are on page 3
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Yes, but that price would be more realistic as the Blu-ray's cost. Aniplex REALLY needs to do bare-bones releases for those of us that don't care about the extra crap.

No, they don't. This model is working for them. They don't need to do a damn thing.

True, they don't have to change what they are doing, nor do I need to support a pricing model I don't agree with. It's not that difficult. If they want my money, along with others who have posted, they would need to make this kind of change. Of course, there is a economic graph where it's not necessarily profitable for them to do so - then again, it could be their approach, marketing, limited ways of selling, etc. - there are too many insider factors and information we don't have.

Plus, they HAVE done (semi)-normal Blu-ray releases before for Madoka Magica, and I would call their Baccano Blu-ray set "normally priced". They clearly aren't allergic to doing that, and I just wish they would be much more consistent. Plus, Nozomi's LE sets are much nicer than Aniplex's IMO, and while they currently only do DVDs, $70 (sometimes as low as $50) for 14 episodes, a movie, an artbox, commentaries, documentaries, and a booklet isn't too bad (I'm referring to their third Utena box set specifically). While they have been releasing their "new" titles sub-only, they say it's to keep the cost down for the fans, which is never a bad thing (the titles are on the niche-side anyway). Aniplex doesn't HAVE to release their stuff at excruciatingly high prices. They CHOOSE to because they know they can squeeze more money out of the buyers (which would be significantly fewer with these prices). Just because they CAN doesn't mean they SHOULD (just look how controversial this company has become). Aniplex: releasing anime for only the very-wealthy since 2010.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You guys understand that this new edition WILL have lower video quality right? So an upgrade is impossible, since the import version has better video quality. And come ON, you reallyt hink the people who bought the 700$ release care about the dub?

Even though each disc has one more episode (3 discs compared to 4 discs for box I)and each episode possibly is smaller than the JP equivalent, we won't know until someone actually runs some tests. I'll assume that the US BD box is going to be using a VBR encode (to maximize bitrate/space constraints). As long as the person who is encoding does a decent job, it'll look good.

SpacemanHardy wrote:

Let me let you in on a little secret: The whole "too many episodes on too few blurays" deal? It's a MYTH.

It's not a myth, in general, that less bitrate leads to worse video quality (it'll vary from source to source of course).

BUT, it is possible to get good quality video if you're going to "cram episodes on a disc" as long as the person who is doing the encoding knows what he/she is doing and has good equipment.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I can finally add this series to my collection!
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting this to cost an arm and a leg, but the prices aren't too bad! Brilliant!
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Baccano didn't exactly sell tons on copies their is a reason it's only 50 dollars nobody wants it. Aniplex charges as much as people are willing to pay and if you don't like the price then don't buy it. You have the freedom to buy or not buy their titles and to spend your money else where but you don't get to own the legal copy of whatever series in question.

I'm not defending them but that's just the way it is whether we like it or not. I've dealt with Japanese companies and their mentality is if they don't get their price then they will tell you to f-off and keep it for themselves. They don't understand or care about the concept of making some profit vs no profit but they don't need us anyways their domestic market makes them more money anyway.

For me personally I don't care about dubs at all if titles where cheaper or more importantly released faster without them, it would make me much happier. So if Garden of Sinners got a new dubbed Blu-Ray set I could careless even if it was cheaper than the 400 dollars I paid for my copy.

The first Fate Zero import like KNK could have been raw Japanese only and most wouldn't import it and all this bitching about 700 dollars would be mute. At least they gave you the option of owning it in english if you were willing to pay for it at the same time as Japan. Thanks to AOA adding a english subtitle track if you wanted to own it right away then you had to pay the price or wait and see if they released it domestically at a lower price.

Many of shows I want to own them now most non Aniplex titles and would glady pay Japanese prices if they had english subtitles but I'm in a small minority that will do this.

Look they own the shows and can do whatever they want call it premimum or because of the extras all you want at the end of the day they hold all the cards. Most of their shows they are so popular they know they can get away with the prices they charge and the fans will still pay it. At least they are releasing their shows legally if they wanted to tomorrow because of all the whinners could say you know what you pissed us off complaining so much no more shows for the US market and no subtitles on the imports. Then what? What are you going to do then? How does that help anyone?

It's not like oh Fuimation or Sentai would have released them last time I check they don't create or own the shows. Because they only license shows if the owners of the program won't sale them the license then they don't get to release the show.

I'm just glad I waited to buy Fate Zero, it was on my list to buy when ever I felt like it even though I could afford the 700 dollars. Now that it's less than half I can swing that purchase much sooner.

It's not like they price them so much you'l never be able to afford it in your life. When I was a kid I always wanted a Ferrari, not so much anymore but if I wanted one now their is no way I could ever afford one with my current job.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Prepare to be slapped. They always advertised that as an import for only the hardest of hardcore fans. If you want to pay domestic prices then don't buy the import version. It will be priced like an import... because it's an import.

Fate/Zero aired last year and the domestic release is coming this year. It's not even like you had to wait a long time or anything.

The problem is that there was never any guarantee that they'd release anything more than that import version, and at least some of what they've sold has sold out very quickly (e.g. The Garden of Sinners Blu-rays), so if you really want it, it's not even necessarily an option to wait for it, since you don't know how long it'll be available. And with other stuff that they've released as an imported Blu-ray initially and then actually re-released later, the second release was DVD-only (e.g. The Garden of Sinners), meaning that the import release was your only chance at getting it on Blu-ray. I think that this may be the first time that they've released anything on Blu-ray that they'd previously released on Blu-ray. In all other cases that there's been a second release later that was on Blu-ray, the initial release had been DVD-only.

So, either you fork out the ridiculously high price for the import version or you risk never getting it or only being able to get it on DVD. There's really no way to know what Aniplex is going to do. If there were a guarantee that there would be a domestic Blu-ray release later, it would be a whole other ball game. But there is no such guarantee. There's not even a guarantee that the import version will still be available much after the release date. In some cases, it's been available quite a while afterwards, and in other cases, it sold out by the release date.

In the case of Fate/Zero, it looks like the winning bet was to simply wait for the domestic Blu-ray release, but there was no way to know that there would ever be such a release. In the case of The Garden of Sinners, waiting would have been a losing bet, as they've never released it on Blu-ray again, and there was no dub added to the later DVD release. So, you never know what's going to happen.

It's a total gamble with Aniplex, and if you really want the shows that they're releasing (especially if you want them on Blu-ray), then you're pretty much forced to shell out for their releases as soon as they come out and then deal with the fact that they might actually release something as good or better at a more reasonable price later, whereas if you're willing to take the risk of not being able to get the show on Blu-ray later (or at all) or just plain don't want to pay Aniplex's prices (or can't afford to), then you wait. It all depends on which risks you're willing take and how much money you're willing to spend.

I suspect that a number of us who have bought Aniplex releases would have made different choices if we had known ahead of time exactly what releases Aniplex would do in the future, but none of us has that information (probably not even Aniplex), so we have to make decisions taking into account the risk that there may not even be any future releases of a particular show.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
To quote the Starcraft 2 trailer, "Hell, it's about time."

I will now prepare my arm and leg since my wallet has taken enough hits.

Gaaaaah. I know. I'm thrilled to be able to own the dual language pack at long last, but I'm terrified of how much this'll cost for BD. Anime cry

Thinking positive thoughts. Thinking positive thoughts...
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to add...I do not regret my day one purchase of the Blu-ray boxes. Anyone that is "feeling sorry" for me does not understand my reasoning behind my purchase in the first place. That is all :3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9