• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Fate/Zero on BD/DVD with Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerberous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Baccano didn't exactly sell tons on copies their is a reason it's only 50 dollars nobody wants it.

When I was a kid I always wanted a Ferrari, not so much anymore but if I wanted one now their is no way I could ever afford one with my current job.

Any proof of that ?

A Ferrari would actually be useful... because it's still a car. Paying nearly a $1000 for something that will gather dust on a shelf isn't that smart. You're not even getting extras or something incredible that no other BD/DVD combo on the market could ever give you.

luffypirate85 wrote:
Just wanted to add...I do not regret my day one purchase of the Blu-ray boxes. Anyone that is "feeling sorry" for me does not understand my reasoning behind my purchase in the first place. That is all :3

I feel sorry for your money. Money that could have been spent on an infinite number of more useful things.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote
I feel sorry for your negative attitude.
Reliak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
I liked Fate/Zero, but not $300-level liked so it'll be the DVDs for me!

(Ha, everyone is still so angry about AoA. When are people going to just move on with their lives?)
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
Reliak wrote:

(Ha, everyone is still so angry about AoA. When are people going to just move on with their lives?)

I'm not so much angry as I'm disappointed. I have my own reasons for being slightly jaded, but it's less to do with anime and more to do with personal experiences and pet peeves. That said, I think it's worth looking into valid, legal alternatives. This is why I strongly recommend looking into a region free blu ray player and give money for UK releases which are much closer to a fair market value, and dare I say, keeps the money out of the hands of the "greed" driven people of AoA. I feel very strongly about AoA's pricing model - so much so that I believe it warrants a comment on it, because I think fans deserve better.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kerberous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:53 am Reply with quote
Reliak wrote:

You still don't get it ? No one hates AoA, they hate their prices and the fact that someone else could be releasing their stuff at a sane price.

luffypirate85 wrote:
I feel sorry for your negative attitude.

I like that the internet people always know what I'm feeling without ever seeing or knowing me. No harm intended, it's just my opinion.
Even if I made 1 billion $ per day, I'd still consider paying for JP DVDs/BDs a huge waste of money.

At least I hope those dust gathering BDs are worth the bragging rights. You won't get much more than that out of them.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:47 am Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:
You still don't get it ? No one hates AoA, they hate their prices and the fact that someone else could be releasing their stuff at a sane price.

Actually, many people hate AoA itself, as outraged people will not hate a company's actions without hating the company itself as well. Plus there's the fact that AoA aren't kowtowing to the demands for cheap releases, which really sticks in the craws of unreasonable fans who expect every release - even same-week Japanese imports - to be dirt-cheap.

What is a sane price? There is no such thing objectively-speaking, it depends on the situation. If demand is inelastic - which it is, as these uber-fans will buy AoA releases no matter what - then a sane price is actually very high, because the higher the price the higher the profit. And if the releases are just imports, then a sane price must be as high as the price the Japanese pay, otherwise the dreaded spectre of reverse-importation comes into effect.

Given AoA's business plan, their prices are actually quite sane.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Plus there's the fact that AoA aren't kowtowing to the demands for cheap releases, which really sticks in the craws of unreasonable fans who expect every release - even same-week Japanese imports - to be dirt-cheap.

Nice stupid strawman argument. No, "unreasonable fans" are not demanding cheap releases or "dirt-cheap" same-week Japanese imports. All some of us are asking for are prices that are at least within shouting distance of what every other R1 distrib offers. It's a simple point but sadly you have not inherited any of your Dad's reputed 150 IQ so I guess you simply don't have the intellectual horespower to hoist it onboard. Pity.

Quote:
Given AoA's business plan, their prices are actually quite sane.

I guess that point would make sense if an anime consumer was looking at pricing from the perspective of what was best for the supplier as opposed to what was best for him or her. But since some of us anime consumers aren't batshit insane, we don't go: "AoA is doing quite well with their business model. Sure it means that many of their products are priced beyond what I can justify spending, but as long as they are doing well, that's all I care about!" What kind of effwad thinks that way?
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Reliak wrote:

I'm not so much angry as I'm disappointed. I have my own reasons for being slightly jaded, but it's less to do with anime and more to do with personal experiences and pet peeves. That said, I think it's worth looking into valid, legal alternatives. This is why I strongly recommend looking into a region free blu ray player.............

COMPLETE contradiction (lol)! Laughing

Quote:
Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

I'll leave it. Rolling Eyes
Kerberous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
^Amazon has been selling multi region Blu-ray players for years. Somebody stop them !

dtm42 wrote:

What is a sane price? There is no such thing objectively-speaking, it depends on the situation.

Sigh... I know objectivity doesn't exist outside of simple statements. Find some other cards to play with. The "you're not objective" line doesn't mean anything.
A sane price is somewhere around what the others are asking for (Funimation, Sentai,etc.). I think my opinion is shared by a lot of people.

Different rules apply in Japan, though.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Hao-sama wrote:
Just a stupid question but oh well... is it possible to release a fate stay night + fate zero + UBW set on bluray? that would be neat! hopefully this set isn´t overpriced and its released by december or january.

You can already get the other two from Sentai on blu though... There's no way that they're license would expire so fast to give it up to Aniplex anytime soon, either.

Aniplex had nothing to do with producing them anyway (it was Frontier Works), so they wouldn't ever release them. Aniplex of America only releases Aniplex produced shows.

Technically, TBS holds the international license for the FSN series & movie, which is how they popped up in Sentai's hands.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:
Sigh... I know objectivity doesn't exist outside of simple statements. Find some other cards to play with. The "you're not objective" line doesn't mean anything.

Of course it means something, since it means that people must look at the situation rather than just hurling a "all AoA prices are insane" barb. A $700 pricetag for one two-cour show is sane for AoA if that's the same price that Japanese consumers paid.

If I was stating the obvious it was only because you were ignoring the obvious.

Kerberous wrote:
A sane price is somewhere around what the others are asking for (Funimation, Sentai,etc.). I think my opinion is shared by a lot of people.

Different rules apply in Japan, though.

The problem is that AoA is intricately tied to Japan. Those original Fate/ZERO boxes were just re-labelled imports, hence why they were basically the same price as the Japanese boxes. There's no way that a price similar to what FUNi or Sentai charge would have been close to sane, since that would have just led to reverse importation. I did actually mention this, if you had bothered to read my post.

Not every expensive AoA release has been an import, but that just bolsters the fact that it's situational.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
"AoA is doing quite well with their business model. Sure it means that many of their products are priced beyond what I can justify spending, but as long as they are doing well, that's all I care about!" What kind of effwad thinks that way?

A mature person able to separate themselves from their minute Earthly desires for owning expensive cartoons and view situations from the point of view of the companies?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
^ Whoever said anime as a whole was "expensive" (If Family Guy was sold on DVD and Blu-ray at these prices would that suddenly become an "expensive cartoon" as well)? Rolling Eyes Obviously, as a consumer, we would prefer normal prices that we'd be able to pay...

As for Region-Free Blu-ray players, at least you're still actually supporting an actual company by purchasing their release (in this case, Manga Entertainment or Madman Entertainment, as well as the Japanese licensors).

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:

At least I hope those dust gathering BDs are worth the bragging rights. You won't get much more than that out of them.

Jealous much? All signs point to it.
angieness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally willing to plop down the $300 for the bluray set. I've been buying anime since the VHS days, so I don't bat an eye at $200-$300 for a series. Sure, cheaper would be nice. But it's not like I've never paid that much for a series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9