• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass Manga Artist Plans to Sue Blogger

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Bug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
Hey ANN, how come you didn't post a link to the blog in question? Perhaps your readers want to draw their own conclusions.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
The_Bug wrote:
Hey ANN, how come you didn't post a link to the blog in question? Perhaps your readers want to draw their own conclusions.

The article wrote:
The "Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya no Tōyō to Settei Machigai ni Tsukkomu Blog" wrote several complaints about the Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya manga.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
Seems to me the blogger hit the nail right in the head and as usual the japanese writer says the current hiatus is due to *mumble* *mumble* Reminds me when Kannagi's mangaka went on hiatus due to a mysterious illness. So the current trend of attacking the fans instead of doing their work right keeps spreading -_-
spoony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
Wait...so you can sue someone for saying they think you plagiarized?

Like, I am always saying that I think The Hunger Games ripped off of Battle Royale. If I wrote this on a blog, could I get sued for that? That feels like a serious freedom of speech issue to me.
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
spoony wrote:

Like, I am always saying that I think The Hunger Games ripped off of Battle Royale. If I wrote this on a blog, could I get sued for that? That feels like a serious freedom of speech issue to me.

Despite what Rammstein says, we are not all living in America-- different countries have different laws and regulations about this sort of thing.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
Yes, different countries have different laws about what constitutes defamation or slander. Carrying out this legal action could have some merit under Japanese law even if it doesn't from, say, that of certain Western countries.

It may or may not be a proper response though, as far as the underlying accuracy of the actual charges is concerned. From what I can tell by just looking at the blogger's website, most of the accusations have to do with copying basic panel layout to a greater or lesser extent.

At least at first glance, there might be some vague or superficial resemblance in a number of instances. What I don't know is whether or not said criticism is actually fair and justified in its proper context or if the blogger is simply being very selective and misleading in order to make his point. Taking things out of context is one of the Internet's favorite activities.

Then again, it's hard to really determine the underlying truth of the matter without reading the language and having independent access to both manga titles in order to make a real and nuanced comparison. Perhaps the courts, should this case get far enough, will be able to have the last word on the subject.

Speaking as someone who liked the Code Geass anime though, I would argue that Renya of the Darkness has been rather slow and disappointing so far, to the point I'd easily call it generic in terms of content, regardless of the specific issue at hand.

Last edited by nightjuan on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
spoony

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
spoony wrote:

Despite what Rammstein says, we are not all living in America-- different countries have different laws and regulations about this sort of thing.

I know that, of course, but I guess I didn't think a democratic country like Japan would be so strict about something like that. Of course I'm no expert on law in Japan or the U.S., so maybe I shouldn't assume.

Another reason this surprises me is that from what I understand the Japanese tend to be a lot less sue-happy than we Americans are.
ayashe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
Hey, Takuma and Taniguchi your manga is crap, just another expensive fan fic that doesn't deserve to share the Code Geass name.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
Looking at the images, it actually seems like the blogger is grasping straws here. The images are hardly comparable, and many of them are fairly common in anime and manga, and don't look similar at all other than showing somewhat similar situations from very different angles and positions. If this can really be considered plagiarism, then the creator of Yagyū Reppūken Renya must own the copyright to a lot of conventional manga-drawing techniques.

Last edited by Ryvius213 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
spoony wrote:
Saturn wrote:
spoony wrote:

I know that, of course, but I guess I didn't think a democratic country like Japan would be so strict about something like that. Of course I'm no expert on law in Japan or the U.S., so maybe I shouldn't assume.

Another reason this surprises me is that from what I understand the Japanese tend to be a lot less sue-happy than we Americans are.

I know this seems a little exaggerated, but if somebody acusses of a person of being a pervert or a thief a lot, would not the person sue the other? This is about manga author who is accused of copying another artists. I have just checked the blog, and it looks very ridiculous as the images they show have less similarities than Chuck Norris and Ben Stiller (okay, I think I smoked something very bad before makng this example ) Wink
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
How popular of a blog is it? If it's super huge and influential I think there is a legitimate case for libel that deserves legal action.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:36 am Reply with quote
Just took a look at the rest of the site, and it seems like legal action can actually be justified here. There are several other posts on the blog accusing manga artists of plagiarism, only one of which is actually remotely credible. Seems like a site made for a smear campaign against any manga the blogger didn't like.
Failachu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
...So as opposed to debunking the apparently unfounded claims with a logical counter-argument... he decides to sue what is essentially a internet troll?

He does realize that this might produce a reverse effect, does he not? If he goes through with a lawsuit, the over-reaction might add some weight to the guys claims in the eyes of the public. "How many people would go through the effort to sue, unless they had something to hide/unless it hit a nerve/etc.?" Not the most logical reasoning, sure, but one that a majority of people would follow.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Failachu wrote:
...So as opposed to debunking the apparently unfounded claims with a logical counter-argument... he decides to sue what is essentially a internet troll?

Upon further inspection of the manga artist's Twitter feed, it seems there may be a bit more to this than just a random blog after all. See here. Apparently someone, presumably the creator of the blog, sent an anonymous fax to several parties and that could have been the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. If true, it would make the reaction a little more understandable if not necessarily wise.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
Looking at the images, it actually seems like the blogger is grasping straws here. The images are hardly comparable, and many of them are fairly common in anime and manga, and don't look similar at all other than showing somewhat similar situations from very different angles and positions.

That hadn't stopped many anime/manga fans before; you'd think every other non-Japanese production is copied from an anime or manga! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3