• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass Manga Artist Plans to Sue Blogger

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ELDRAGON

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
sued for trolling. Had to happen sometime.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
It is legal to fairly criticize people, and one of the essential cornerstones of free speech.

However, it is illegal to injure another person's reputation through libel.

Unfounded, written accusations of plagiarism are tantamount to libel.

Though ostensibly a disproportionate overreaction, it is within the author's purview to tender legal protections for intellectual property and individual repute in the face of false and potentially injurious accusations. Whether a claim of malignment proves legitimate is ultimately subject to the determinations of a court, and not the capricious speculation of uninvolved third parties such as ourselves.

I must admit that it is remarkably, patently unfair of anyone to presume that authors neither enjoy nor deserve legal protection for their reputation, or the legitimacy of their works.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Don't think anyone would like to be accused of stealing from another.

In the old days you would have factors and be walking 10 paces.

Anyone has the right to face their accusers in a court. Be it mangaka or you.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
It is legal to fairly criticize people, and one of the essential cornerstones of free speech.

However, it is illegal to injure another person's reputation through libel.

Unfounded, written accusations of plagiarism are tantamount to libel.

Reputation rights are bogus. They assume you have rights over other people's opinions of you. That's nonsense. I'm not arguing that this isn't "illegal" but it shouldn't be.

The way to correct bad information is to provide good information, to set the record straight and show your opposition to be the bad guy.

Quote:

I must admit that it is remarkably, patently unfair of anyone to presume that authors neither enjoy nor deserve legal protection for their reputation, or the legitimacy of their works.

Implicit in your statement is that those who believe this dislike authors or something. Let me be clear. I don't think anyone deserves that protection.

I don't think I have "reputation rights" either, because rights that can only exist by using force against others are not rights at all, but privileges granted that give you control over others property... and with reputation rights, even their own speech/person.

Disclaimer: People tend to assume the worst about those that disagree with them, unfortunately, so let me be clear here. I'm not saying I think lying about people is a good thing, or that people who only have part of the facts and reach conclusions and then distribute that to others are doing a good thing.

I think such people aren't doing good. From a utilitarian perspective I don't think force is the most effective method for correcting these situations, but my main qualm is moral. I don't think using force to prevent others from speaking their view, regardless of how poorly educated that view is - is the right thing to do. Force is a tool that is only appropriate to use against violations of rights, but people don't have a right to a reputation, because that's something that exists in the minds of others.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
wait i am confused by this, he is being sued for making a fan manga or the fact some hates it? I mean doujins have been out in japan for ever and people make money off them all the time but hmm I this really wasn't clear and cut on the points.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
wait i am confused by this, he is being sued for making a fan manga or the fact some hates it? I mean doujins have been out in japan for ever and people make money off them all the time but hmm I this really wasn't clear and cut on the points.
No, its the manga-ka of a licensed spin-off in the Code Geass universe, who is suing someone who wrote a blog post to claim that the manga-ka plagiarized the work from an earlier work in the Code Geass universe.

If the blogger was indeed sending anonymous faxes to spread the claim, that's starting to wander into the "unhinged" territory.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3